Roku is adding channels automatically?

Discussions about Roku products, channels, and Roku-related topics.

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Roku is adding channels automatically?

Postby david0406 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:29 am

I have been finding channels added to my channels list lately without me doing so. Is this just a marketing tool or can it be disabled?
Roku N-1000
Roku HD 2000C
Roku LT
Roku 2 XD
Roku 3
Roku 3
david0406

Re: Roku is adding channels automatically?

Postby dwanthny » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:33 am

david0406 wrote:I have been finding channels added to my channels list lately without me doing so. Is this just a marketing tool or can it be disabled?

This has never happened to me and should not be happening to you. Did you buy this used? If so could it be connected to another Roku account? Do you have others living with you.
:idea: 20GB of Free CLOUD STORAGE: For a limited time you can use this link https://copy.com?r=lB3oTH to sign up for a free 15GB Copy.com account and we both get an extra 5GB of free space.
dwanthny

Postby david0406 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:38 am

dwanthny wrote:
david0406 wrote:I have been finding channels added to my channels list lately without me doing so. Is this just a marketing tool or can it be disabled?

This has never happened to me and should not be happening to you. Did you buy this used? If so could it be connected to another Roku account? Do you have others living with you.

The Hallmark Spirit clips channel was at the end of my lineup and I never added that channel. No it was not used. I did buy it from Amazon though. An LT. Coincidentally it was the ad channel at the bottom of the homescreen.
Roku N-1000
Roku HD 2000C
Roku LT
Roku 2 XD
Roku 3
Roku 3
david0406

Postby stlouieblues » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:47 am

I saw this happening too. It turns out that having more than 1 roku device on an account shares the channels so channel adds/deletes on one device changes the others. i resolved this by setup a roku account for each device.
stlouieblues

Postby kc8pql » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:50 am

You may have clicked the ad banner inadvertently and added the channel.
That's the only way it could have been installed unless you have more than one box linked to your account and it was installed from another box.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby dboff01 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:48 am

I've found the addition of mysterious channels to my lineup is always the handiwork of my 4 yr old.

Any small children in the house?
dboff01

Postby knuckle » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:45 am

I have noticed that sometimes when I add a single channel another channel is also added,I think it was frightpix I had added (or maybe paratrek I add quite a few) and got a military channel along with it-- I often add from links on other sites so that may have something to do with it
ROKU 1 XD J0A113014862
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
Roku TV
all running wireless on a actiontec C2000A
knuckle

Postby david0406 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:35 pm

kc8pql wrote:You may have clicked the ad banner inadvertently and added the channel.
That's the only way it could have been installed unless you have more than one box linked to your account and it was installed from another box.

The odd thing is that clicking on that banner brings the channel up in the channel store. From that point you have to click it again to actually add the channel. I am not saying that something inadvertent didn't occur but this isn't the first time I have noticed it. It's really not a big deal but it just seemed odd. I do have other boxes in the house but no one who would add that particular channel. The wife does not even know how to add a channel and I have no little ones that could have done that inadvertently.
Roku N-1000
Roku HD 2000C
Roku LT
Roku 2 XD
Roku 3
Roku 3
david0406

Postby kc8pql » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:43 pm

Well, I have no idea how it got there, but I do know Roku doesn't automatically add channels.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
kc8pql

Postby radiocolin » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:01 pm

Were you looking at the sponsored channel, which appears as the 2nd icon in from the left?
radiocolin

Postby wzwor » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:24 pm

I have a channel H*E*R*O that has appeared at the end of my channel list. I assumed this was related to the reallocated id of an Octave channel. I had their channel plus their beta channel in my list. The channel was broken. Now the channel works, the beta is gone, and H*E*R*O is in my list. Maybe when a channel goes away, the id can be reallocated and if that channel is in your list, the channel that gets the id shows up?
http://thebeersoncomcast.wordpress.com/
wzwor

Postby kc8pql » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:40 pm

radiocolin wrote:Were you looking at the sponsored channel, which appears as the 2nd icon in from the left?

Good question. The Spotlighted channel is a paid ad that changes periodically, but it's not installed on your box.
kc8pql

Postby TheEndless » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:48 pm

david0406 wrote:
kc8pql wrote:You may have clicked the ad banner inadvertently and added the channel.

The odd thing is that clicking on that banner brings the channel up in the channel store. From that point you have to click it again to actually add the channel. I am not saying that something inadvertent didn't occur but this isn't the first time I have noticed it. It's really not a big deal but it just seemed odd. I do have other boxes in the house but no one who would add that particular channel. The wife does not even know how to add a channel and I have no little ones that could have done that inadvertently.

Any chance you could have been inadvertently sending commands to the Roku while you were watching something else? It wouldn't take that many clicks to get from the ad banner to the channel store to the add button... maybe even by accidentally sitting on the remote.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Twitch.tv (TWITCHTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless

Postby RokuShawnS » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:00 am

Roku will not add channels except those of which are authorized for the particular unit you've purchased. (ie, if you purchase an XS, you'll get Angry Birds, and if you purchase a R3 model, you'll get AB:Space). Some default channels will install by ... well, default, but other than that, no.

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby njweb » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:14 am

stlouieblues wrote:I saw this happening too. It turns out that having more than 1 roku device on an account shares the channels so channel adds/deletes on one device changes the others. i resolved this by setup a roku account for each device.

Ironically I love the fact that I only have to add a channel once for all of my Roku devices (3 of them), instead of having to add the channel to each device separately which takes a lot more effort.
I am sure that is why it was designed this way since most users don't want to go through the hassle of adding channels to each device and trying to remember which channels they liked and added to one of their other Roku's so they can then add them to another one.

I guess I could see 2 possible reasons (the second one is a big stretch though) for the multi account approach:
1. If you have a Roku that only you use and your significant other or kids have another Roku that only they use and you each don't want to see each others channels that you are not interested in.
2. If you have one of the Roku units literally locked away / hidden in a room to hide it from your significant other and don't want them to know you added the bikini channel (just an example). :D

The 3rd would be IF it offered parental control (PC) you could ensure the kids don't have access to movie channels (given they do have titles with explicit scenes and nudity on some of the movie channels), but it does not offer PC at this time.

I am personally glad Roku designed it this way.
Microsoft Windows should offer a similar option out of the box - 'network software installation' for all PC's in a household. E.g. this could be performed on a per program basis (a checkbox e.g. that indicates you would like to install this program on all your computers simultaneously).
Three Roku 3 units (March 2013)
njweb

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion