Warner Archive Instant coming soon?

Discussions about Roku products, channels, and Roku-related topics.

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Warner Archive Instant coming soon?

Postby syphan » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:00 am

Googling and stumbled across the following link. Looks like Roku is ramping up the channels again.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/60707

:D
Roku XD 2050
Roku LT
Roku XS
Roku 3
syphan

Re: Warner Archive Instant coming soon?

Postby wingrider » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:08 am

That would be a nice addition can't wait to pay to see Queen of Outer Space :) actually there are some pretty good titles hope it's a success and they eventually stream the entire library.
wingrider

Postby stratcat96 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:39 am

Might be a tough sale at the what, $10/month the guy stated
stratcat96
** Valued Community Member **

Postby trekkeriii » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:39 am

Get some of the TGIF classics like Step By Step, Family Matters, and Perfect Strangers (I can do without Full House), I'll be happy. My wife would love to have the option to watch Murphy Brown. Heck what about the Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies archive, Hanna Barbara shows, and all the related classic toons?
Roku2 XS, 42" LCD, Ethernet (5.5 b320)
Roku Stick HDMI, 32" LCD, WiFi (5.5 b2027)
Roku N1000, 25" CRT, Ethernet (3.1)
Router - Linksys WRT54G2
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
trekkeriii

Postby johninFL » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:23 pm

stratcat96 wrote:Might be a tough sale at the what, $10/month the guy stated

If the WB Roku channel is anything like their cable/sat. channel,then it won't be worth anywhere near $10 bucks/mo.Maybe more like $5 bucks/mo.......maybe.
What i'd really LOVE to see,is TCM come to Roku,hopefully as a live stream of their cable/sat.channel.I'd gladly pay $10 bucks/mo. for that. :D When i dropped my sat.sub.,the ONLY channel i really missed was TCM...gawd i'd love to get it back! 8)
johninFL

Postby mauiman » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:46 pm

What, only the first 13 episodes of Gilligan's Island?
How will I know if they ever get off that island?
mauiman

Postby JRob » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:07 pm

I've been a beta-tester for this, but when I signed up to do it I agreed not to share anything about the channel online... looks like aintitcool follows their own rules.
JRob

Postby JRob » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:13 pm

Actually, it looks like ainitcool reproduced the entire thing from another website. We're truly living in a golden age of journalism.
JRob

Postby wideasleep1 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:33 pm

http://rupertpupkinspeaks.blogspot.com/ ... ys-my.html

Several beta users are reporting the quality is not quite up to snuff, and suggest room for improvement (aka a beta) :wink:
Then as it was, then again it will be
An' though the course may change sometimes,
rivers always reach the sea

M1000x2,M2000,Twonky 4.3.3 RC1 beta on LinkStation HGLAN400gig,Buffalo whr-g54s on DD-WRTfirmware-luv'in it!
wideasleep1

Postby JRob » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:46 pm

Since apparently other users are posting blogs about content, I guess I'll throw in my two cents. I think it has worked very well and am really excited for when additional content is added. I've suggested improvements to them about the interface that I won't talk about here, provided they are not in the final product.
JRob

Postby workerdummy » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:26 am

I don't know. There's all this talk about cutting the cable to save money, but with more and more pay Roku channels popping up, pretty soon it will cost more than cable for spottier/duplicate content.
workerdummy

Postby philsoft » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:48 am

workerdummy wrote:I don't know. There's all this talk about cutting the cable to save money, but with more and more pay Roku channels popping up, pretty soon it will cost more than cable for spottier/duplicate content.

The issue for many is that with cable, we pay to subsidize the viewing habits of others. I would rather pay 5 to 10 dollars a channel for content that I actually watch, than to pay 70 dollars for two hundred channels, and only watch two or three of them.
philsoft

Postby johninFL » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:21 am

philsoft wrote:
workerdummy wrote:I don't know. There's all this talk about cutting the cable to save money, but with more and more pay Roku channels popping up, pretty soon it will cost more than cable for spottier/duplicate content.

The issue for many is that with cable, we pay to subsidize the viewing habits of others. I would rather pay 5 to 10 dollars a channel for content that I actually watch, than to pay 70 dollars for two hundred channels, and only watch two or three of them.

+1 :)
I dropped my satellite tv sub. ~9 mos. ago and have no desire to go back to paying $96.00/mo. for the joy of having 300+ channels of which i only watched 6-8.

I have hundreds of channels to choose from on my Roku and i've only paid for two,one of which cost me a whopping $1.99 for a lifetime sub.The 2nd.one(Infowars)cost $40 bucks for a one year sub.which is only $3.33/mo.Pretty <Force equals mass times acceleration> cheap if ya ask me,especially when compared to cable/sat.prices.Heck,Infowars isn't available from the cable/sat.cos.at any price.
The other paid channels i've seen for Roku haven't interested me at all.But IF TCM would offer a paid streaming service i'd gladly pay $10 bucks/mo. for that. They might even offer a yearly paid sub.which could end up costing less than $10/mo.And IMHO,if Netflix is worth $8 bucks/mo.,then TCM is worth AT LEAST that much.

The thing i don't like seeing is TWC and Comcast(for HBOGO) coming to Roku with their content and requiring that you can only access it if you already have a cable sub.with a sub.level equal or exceeding the content they offer on Roku,then to add insult to injury,they have the chutzpah to charge you again for the joy of streaming thru Roku what you already pay for thru your cable fee. :twisted:
And Dish World is a sick joke.
Last edited by johninFL on Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
johninFL

Postby mark h » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:01 am

johninFL wrote:

If the WB Roku channel is anything like their cable/sat. channel,then it won't be worth anywhere near $10 bucks/mo.Maybe more like $5 bucks/mo.......maybe.
What i'd really LOVE to see,is TCM come to Roku,hopefully as a live stream of their cable/sat.channel.I'd gladly pay $10 bucks/mo. for that. :D When i dropped my sat.sub.,the ONLY channel i really missed was TCM...gawd i'd love to get it back! 8)

Warner owns most of the movies (MGM/Warner)thats on TCM. People (AVS Forums) have suggested thats why there is no HD on TCM HD in the States just UPCONVERTED.

mark
mark h

Postby johninFL » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:18 am

mark h wrote:
johninFL wrote:

Warner owns most of the movies (MGM/Warner)thats on TCM. People (AVS Forums) have suggested thats why there is no HD on TCM HD in the States just UPCONVERTED.mark

Almost everybody knows that TCM-HD is upconverted. The people over at AVS are almost constantly arguing over WHY TCM won't go "true" HD on their HD channel,but it's just so much babble,cuz the people at AVS don't know either...they just sit around guessing(and arguing for their personal pet theories) like everybody else.
We'll just have to wait and see what kind of content WB will offer.If they're willing to offer a large number of their movies that'll be great,but i won't hold my breath for a lot of content.Owning the movies doesn't mean they'll show them.There could be exclusive contracts with diff. providers that would/could dis-allow some/many of their movies being shown on Roku.I don't know.

Fox owns a lot of movies too,but you'll never see most of them on their cable/sat.channel.They simply won't show them,over on the TCM message boards people talk about that all the time.
johninFL

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion