How to connect Roku to computer without HDMI?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

How to connect Roku to computer without HDMI?

Postby Nyarlathotep75 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:41 pm

I am considering dropping my Comcast for TV and Phon and just keeping them for internet, as we just got a MagicJack Plus for phone, and thinking about getting a Roku for TV...

We're looking at the $79 Roku 2XD...

But I am a little confused as to how I would use it...

Right now, my Comcast comes in from the wall, and goes into my digital set top box, which then goes via coax into a small USB TV Box that plugs into my computer via USB... and I can watch TV on my computer with the software that came with the TV Box and this is where I watch most of my TV shows.

Neither the TV Box, nor the Computer has any HDMI input... nor do we have HD services...

So, how would I use a Roku on it?

Secondly... Would we have to have 2 separate Roku boxes to get content on our TV in another room?
Nyarlathotep75

Re: How to connect Roku to computer without HDMI?

Postby stratcat96 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:59 pm

the Roku attaches to your TV via HDMI, and receives its internet signal through the broadcast from a wireless router, or an ethernet cable (on capable models). It doesn't have anything to do with your computer. And yes, each TV would need a Roku to watch. If you are using your computer as a defacto TV set up, you can access most if not all (and more) than Roku offers via your internet browser
Last edited by stratcat96 on Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stratcat96
** Valued Community Member **

Postby johninFL » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:00 pm

You wouldn't connect a Roku box to a computer,they're not set up for that.you are supposed to connect it to a tv set via HDMI or the composite connection. :roll:
johninFL

Postby Nyarlathotep75 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:02 pm

I should add, that my computer monitor is an 8 year old Viewsonic 19" LCD...

It too, does not have HDMI.

It just has one DVI input and one VGA input and I am using the DVI from my computer...

Its still working as good as new and still suits my needs, so I have no need to replace it with anything newer... but I use it to watch TV with the TV software that came with my little USB TV box...
Nyarlathotep75

Postby Nyarlathotep75 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:03 pm

johninFL wrote:You wouldn't connect a Roku box to a computer,they're not set up for that.you are supposed to connect it to a tv set via HDMI or the composite connection. :roll:

But I dont have a TV in this room...

Only the computer and its monitor, running TV from the Comcast digital box to my little USB TV box..

How do I watch TV then if I can not hook up a Roku to the computer?
Nyarlathotep75

Postby stratcat96 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:05 pm

Nyarlathotep75 wrote:
johninFL wrote:You wouldn't connect a Roku box to a computer,they're not set up for that.you are supposed to connect it to a tv set via HDMI or the composite connection. :roll:

Only the computer and its monitor.

How do I watch TV then?

if you keep your cable, do the same thing you did with the first one. Roku is not going to get you broadcast TV channels or cable channels. If you get rid of cable, use your computer browser to navigate and play what you want to watch. (your mileage may vary)
stratcat96
** Valued Community Member **

Postby Nyarlathotep75 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:06 pm

stratcat96 wrote:the Roku attaches to your TV via HDMI, and receives its internet signal through the broadcast from a wireless router, or an ethernet cable (on capable models). It doesn't have anything to do with your computer. And yes, each TV would need a Roku to watch. If you are using your computer as a defacto TV set up, you can access most if not all (and more) than Roku offers via your internet browser

Ah, I didn't see this response...

Hmmm...
Nyarlathotep75

Postby Nyarlathotep75 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:11 pm

stratcat96 wrote:
Nyarlathotep75 wrote:

Only the computer and its monitor.

How do I watch TV then?

if you keep your cable, do the same thing you did with the first one. Roku is not going to get you broadcast TV channels or cable channels. If you get rid of cable, use your computer browser to navigate and play what you want to watch. (your mileage may vary)

Yea, what I want, is to dump my outrageous $175 bill from Comcast which is literally killing me financially. They recently jacked my bill from $156 up to $175 without any notice or explanation...

I only watch a few new TV shows a week, and most of them I noticed are available on the Roku through various offerings like the Amazon Instant Video for example; which intrigued me as they were only $2 an episode so I could get all the TV I wanted for around $24 - $25 a month if I did 3 TV shows a week through a service like that...

So you're saying, can access those without the Roku, just through my web browser?
Nyarlathotep75

Postby johninFL » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:07 pm

Amazon instant video is available for computers.You don't need a Roku for that.But having a Roku opens up a whole other world of viewing opportunities,some of which isn't available on cable/sat.
johninFL

Postby Nyarlathotep75 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:13 pm

johninFL wrote:Amazon instant video is available for computers.You don't need a Roku for that.

Interesting...

Yea I'm a bit behind on this whole streaming thing, lol

Thanks for answering my questions guys.

We might still look into a Roku for our TV out in the other room though! :)
Nyarlathotep75

Postby johninFL » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:19 pm

Well i hope for your sake that "the tv out in the other room" isn't a dinosaur like your 8 yr.old Dynex monitor is. :lol:
johninFL

Postby Nyarlathotep75 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:29 pm

Oh heavens no, the TV is a 37" Samsung LCD running HDMI through my Yamaha Stereo which also has another 4 HDMI inputs and ethernet and usb on it! :twisted:

Just, my computer is old cause I don't need it for much more then internet, emails and watching the occassional TV show while I'm in the office room! LOL
Nyarlathotep75

Postby johninFL » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:35 pm

I have my laptop connected to my AVR with a HDMI cable.When streaming various content off the internet the audio from the AVR really rocks.And of course...the video goes to the tv. 8)
johninFL

Postby joed32 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:03 am

You can get Netflix on your computer as well without Roku.
joed32

Postby wzwor » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:39 am

Nyarlathotep75 wrote:I am considering dropping my Comcast for TV and Phon and just keeping them for internet, as we just got a MagicJack Plus for phone, and thinking about getting a Roku for TV...

We're looking at the $79 Roku 2XD...

But I am a little confused as to how I would use it...

Right now, my Comcast comes in from the wall, and goes into my digital set top box, which then goes via coax into a small USB TV Box that plugs into my computer via USB... and I can watch TV on my computer with the software that came with the TV Box and this is where I watch most of my TV shows.

Neither the TV Box, nor the Computer has any HDMI input... nor do we have HD services...

So, how would I use a Roku on it?

I should add, that my computer monitor is an 8 year old Viewsonic 19" LCD...

It too, does not have HDMI.

It just has one DVI input and one VGA input and I am using the DVI from my computer...

Its still working as good as new and still suits my needs, so I have no need to replace it with anything newer... but I use it to watch TV with the TV software that came with my little USB TV box...

Secondly... Would we have to have 2 separate Roku boxes to get content on our TV in another room?

There are reasons to use a Roku with a computer/monitor. You can get most of the content off the internet, but there's the whole aggregation/ten foot interface/remote aspect. Rokus (and other streamers) are inexpensive enough that you do not have to think too hard before purchasing one. Assuming you want to watch a Roku on your monitor (Roku <> cable and there are other options), there are two ways to get it to work with your computer monitor...

1) I assume your USB tv dongle is RF (coax cable connector). You can install a tv/av capture card/dongle with composite inputs and plug a Roku with composite output into that. I haven't tried this, but it should be no different than feeding a DVD player or VCR into the PC for capture/format shifting. So, there may be DRM issues.
2) Right now, I have a Roku plugged into a DVI connector on a monitor on my desk using an inexpensive DVI to HDMI cable.

Chances are this will leave you without audio, so you will want to get separate speakers or connect the Roku to an audio in on the monitor or PC. The way to do this is to use the audio of the composite out. So, do not consider a Roku 3 as it has no composite out. I run my Roku's audio out to rca ins on a soundbar for this, but you can get an rca-f to mini to plug into a pc or monitor.

It is possible to share a single Roku between two tvs, but it'd be easier and not much more expensive to get two Rokus. You'd either have to carry the Roku between sets, run wires between the rooms, or actually run the Roku into the computer and stream it to the second set. The remote becomes an issue if the rooms are not near enough for the BT remote.
http://thebeersoncomcast.wordpress.com/
wzwor

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion