Good tutorial from c|net on setting up "Twonky" for youtube

Moderators: RokuShawnS, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Good tutorial from c|net on setting up "Twonky" for youtube

Postby Heyitsrick » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:37 am

Might want to alert friends/family members yearning for youtube access on their Roku boxes (assuming they have smartphones) re: Twonky app.

c|net posted a video tutorial on how to get it all set up and running:

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-575 ... s-on-roku/

Another article is linked in the story that has some comments from Anthony Wood.
Heyitsrick

Re: Good tutorial from c|net on setting up "Twonky" for yout

Postby knuckle » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:38 pm

Thanks Rick, good info
ROKU 1 XD J0A113014862
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
all hooked wireless via Linksys WRT54G running tomato firmware

favorite channel-- Justin TV
knuckle
** Valued Community Member **

Postby dupondt » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:11 pm

Here's some further information on the Twonky channel/Twonky Beam app that's not mentioned in the c|net tutorial:

1) You don't need a Roku 3 to play Youtube via the Twonky channel, it works perfectly with older models like my Roku XD.

2) The Twonky channel/Twonky Beam app will also beam media from any UPnP-AV/DLNA server in your local network to the Roku Player (provided of course the media files are in a format supported by the Roku or the media server can transcode the material).

3) Once a video has started playing on the Roku you can close the Twonky Beam app on the phone or tablet, the video will continue to play on the Roku.

Greetings
dupondt
Roku SoundBridge R1000, M1001 and M1000 • Pinnacle SoundBridge HomeMusic • DNT IP-dio • Clint L1 • Roku XD
dupondt

Postby SCOREtv.TV » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:43 am

This really has some great potential. Supposedly it can beam almost any internet video?
Private channel : SCORETV https://owner.roku.com/Add/SCORETV
SCOREtv.TV

Postby taomaster99 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:33 am

dupondt wrote:3) Once a video has started playing on the Roku you can close the Twonky Beam app on the phone or tablet, the video will continue to play on the Roku.

Greetings
dupondt

Everytime I close out of the app the video will only play for a few minutes then just stops and kicks me back to the main Roku menu. If I leave the app up it never happens, at least for me.
taomaster99

Postby slick1ru2 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:51 pm

I went to Bing, searched for a video and while I got a message on Spike that it won't work on my device the same video on ebaumsworld did so yeah, lots of potential. Thanks for posting. Easy to do.
slick1ru2

Postby dupondt » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:17 pm

SCOREtv.TV wrote:Supposedly it can beam almost any internet video?

Not any video, I presume, only videos in formats which are supported by the Roku Player.

Greetings
dupondt
Roku SoundBridge R1000, M1001 and M1000 • Pinnacle SoundBridge HomeMusic • DNT IP-dio • Clint L1 • Roku XD
dupondt

Postby dupondt » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:21 pm

taomaster99 wrote:Everytime I close out of the app the video will only play for a few minutes then just stops and kicks me back to the main Roku menu.

I didn't experience this when I beamed a long (90 minutes) HD video from Youtube to the Roku and then closed the app. Which Roku model, smartphone or tablet and Android version do you have and what was the video source?

Greetings
dupondt
dupondt

Postby slick1ru2 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:38 pm

Well, it also doesn't work for websites that want you to use an app with your mobile phone vs using the webpage you'd use if accessing via computer. Maxgo.com, its like HBO GO, prompts to go to the app store. I was hoping for a solution to their being no Roku Max Go app. I was hoping it allowed webpages to load as a computer too like the Skyfire browser.
slick1ru2

Postby Heyitsrick » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:14 pm

slick1ru2 wrote:Well, it also doesn't work for websites that want you to use an app with your mobile phone vs using the webpage you'd use if accessing via computer. Maxgo.com, its like HBO GO, prompts to go to the app store. I was hoping for a solution to their being no Roku Max Go app. I was hoping it allowed webpages to load as a computer too like the Skyfire browser.

Can you set your mobile browser to use the "Desktop" user agent before going to the site? I know Dolphin HD does that on the Droid. But again, the key would be to set it for Desktop before trying to go to the site.

I'm not a Cinemax subscriber, but I set my Dolphin Browser on my Droid for for the Desktop user agent, and then went to maxgo.com. I was NOT prompted for any apps.

Then I exited the Dolphin browser, (while choosing to clear the cache on exit). I started it up again and set the user agent for "Android Default". I went back to Maxgo, and sure enough, I was at a screen that was pointing me to iPhone/iPad and Android apps.

So, if you have a Droid, get Dolphin HD, and set the user agent (in settings) for "Desktop".
Heyitsrick

Postby slick1ru2 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:35 pm

Heyitsrick wrote:
slick1ru2 wrote:Well, it also doesn't work for websites that want you to use an app with your mobile phone vs using the webpage you'd use if accessing via computer. Maxgo.com, its like HBO GO, prompts to go to the app store. I was hoping for a solution to their being no Roku Max Go app. I was hoping it allowed webpages to load as a computer too like the Skyfire browser.

Can you set your mobile browser to use the "Desktop" user agent before going to the site? I know Dolphin HD does that on the Droid. But again, the key would be to set it for Desktop before trying to go to the site.

I'm not a Cinemax subscriber, but I set my Dolphin Browser on my Droid for for the Desktop user agent, and then went to maxgo.com. I was NOT prompted for any apps.

Then I exited the Dolphin browser, (while choosing to clear the cache on exit). I started it up again and set the user agent for "Android Default". I went back to Maxgo, and sure enough, I was at a screen that was pointing me to iPhone/iPad and Android apps.

So, if you have a Droid, get Dolphin HD, and set the user agent (in settings) for "Desktop".

The browser seems to be part of the Twonky app so for the iPhone I guess they are using one that emulates Safari. But like I said, with Skyfire you can choose for which type of device you want to display the page. I don't know how I could use it with the Twonky app though.
slick1ru2

Postby slick1ru2 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:46 am

Saw this on the Twonky website.

Notice to prior users of the free Twonky Beam Button

The existing service will not be supported after June 30, 2013. Please contact us at sales@pv.com for inquiries about commercial opportunities.

Not sure what that means in terms of the app working or not working after that date.
slick1ru2

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion