Error 009 - Roku 3

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Error 009 - Roku 3

Postby dmciver » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:10 pm

I'm seeking help from anyone having the "Error 009" - can't connect to the internet error message on Roku 3.

I do network troubleshooting for a living... so let's accelerate through all the basic troubleshooting steps (yes, swapped the cable, yes verified my network works, other devices can connect just fine, etc. etc etc).

Roku connected via ethernet - spent 45 mins with support last night, no help really. Connected it to a friend's wifi network and it connected and updated the firmware and synchronized channels just fine. Back on my ethernet or wifi it won't connect.

Yes, have tried the secret menu option to disable network ping - no difference. Have tried multiple resets, factory restores -- no change.

In particular, troubleshooting on the router - I believe it has to do with some setting regarding IGMP or multicast packets....

Any other super geeks out there care to chime in and help me out?

Juniper (netscreen) 5GT router with the latest firmware (and no, the older versions didn't make a difference either).

Thanks in advance!
dmciver

Re: Error 009 - Roku 3

Postby knuckle » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:14 am

Not real familiar with this router but if used in "secure" mode I think it requires a reservation by mac address
ROKU 1 XD J0A113014862
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
Roku TV
all running wireless on a actiontec C2000A
knuckle
** Valued Community Member **

Postby trekkeriii » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:06 am

Change DNS servers on your router. Someone else mentioned this is a DNS server connection error.
Roku2 XS, 42" LCD, Ethernet (5.5 b320)
Roku Stick HDMI, 32" LCD, WiFi (5.5 b2027)
Roku N1000, 25" CRT, Ethernet (3.1)
Router - Linksys WRT54G2
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
trekkeriii
** Valued Community Member **

Postby dmciver » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:12 am

I've tried changing out the DNS servers (heard somewhere it only picks up the 1st server if you hand out multiple).

Sniffing the network traffic, it seems to be throwing out some multicast traffic which is likely not getting passed through the firewall (but I would also expect that to be normal).

After being left online or trying to access any of the channels, I do see several connections out to the world on 80 / 443 / DNS lookups -- so at least some aspect of the Roku is communicating... but something else would seem awry in the early connection process keeping it from thinking it's really on-line.

Very, very frustrating - especially after very futile troubleshooting attempts by Roku support.

Thanks for your replies -- keep them coming please
dmciver

Postby j.m. » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:05 pm

I'm guessing this is another case caused by the weird programming decision to have the Roku insist on being able to ping your router and get a response. Most home routers will respond to LAN side pings by default, but it looks like you are not using one of those. Try pinging the LAN IP of your router from a PC connected to it. If you get no response, then that is the problem. I found this page, which may help you enable ping on the LAN interface of your router:
http://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index? ... &id=KB4410
j.m.

Postby RokuMarkn » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:29 pm

Usually a failure to ping the router results in a code 014. Code 009 means a DNS failure.

--Mark
RokuMarkn
Roku Engineering

Postby dmciver » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:58 pm

Yet another frustrating round with (non)tech support at Roku. Finally a supervisor agreed the problem must be on my router, so they're replacing my Roku 3 -- yeah, that makes sense.

So I decided to do drop in a spare Apple Airport Express BEHIND my Juniper (so they're in line with each other, double NAT on the Apple) -- guess what works like a champ?

Very puzzling, right - my Airport Express router is handing out the same DNS info (that it's getting from the Juniper) -- so I'm still determined it's something incompatible or how the Roku is querying for multicast when it initializes the network.

Should someone else run into a very frustrating round of network connectivity errors with their Roku, I suggest installing a cheap SOHO grade firewall on your network and putting the Roku behind it. Regardless of how many other devices you have working flawlessly on your network (e.g. Apple TV, Dish w/ sling adapter, VoIP phones, etc, etc)
dmciver

Postby j.m. » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:25 pm

dmciver wrote:Yet another frustrating round with (non)tech support at Roku. Finally a supervisor agreed the problem must be on my router, so they're replacing my Roku 3 -- yeah, that makes sense.

So I decided to do drop in a spare Apple Airport Express BEHIND my Juniper (so they're in line with each other, double NAT on the Apple) -- guess what works like a champ?

Very puzzling, right - my Airport Express router is handing out the same DNS info (that it's getting from the Juniper) -- so I'm still determined it's something incompatible or how the Roku is querying for multicast when it initializes the network.

Should someone else run into a very frustrating round of network connectivity errors with their Roku, I suggest installing a cheap SOHO grade firewall on your network and putting the Roku behind it. Regardless of how many other devices you have working flawlessly on your network (e.g. Apple TV, Dish w/ sling adapter, VoIP phones, etc, etc)

Before using the Apple, did you test to see whether the Juniper router was pingable via its LAN IP as I described in my post above?
j.m.

Postby dmciver » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:58 pm

Yes - juniper is pingable on the LAN. As someone else mentioned, if the roku can't get an IP address or ping the LAN you get other errors. I'm fairly certain this has to do with multicast announcements.

Port 80 / 443 (http and https) are both wide open and unfiltered from the LAN to the internet.
dmciver

Postby j.m. » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:16 pm

dmciver wrote:Yes - juniper is pingable on the LAN. As someone else mentioned, if the roku can't get an IP address or ping the LAN you get other errors. I'm fairly certain this has to do with multicast announcements.

Port 80 / 443 (http and https) are both wide open and unfiltered from the LAN to the internet.

Okay, just making sure because double NAT with a second router is a solution to the ping issue also. While I understand the different error numbers, I think it worth actually verifying behavior rather than relying on error codes from a networking stack that is known to have some quirks...
j.m.

Postby PatrickHoban » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:12 pm

I was getting this error as well. In my case it appears to be an issue with the IP address I was using on my network. I was using 192.168.16.0/24. I didn't try every combination but there seems to be an issue with 192.168.16.0/24. What IP range are you using?
PatrickHoban

Postby dmciver » Thu May 02, 2013 7:21 pm

God bless you for posting that... I never would have thought it was related to my IP scope.

Let it be known - Roku3 has a problem being on the LAN segment 192.168.16.0/24 --- sure enough, I changed out the IP range being used on my network and it all works as expected!

Thank you - thank you - thank you!
dmciver

Postby PatrickHoban » Sat May 04, 2013 4:09 pm

Cool. Glad it worked. I've reported it to Roku support as a bug. We'll see if they address it in an update.
PatrickHoban

Postby samuelbjohnson » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:10 pm

Thanks Patrick. I just encountered the same problem (though unfortunately, I didn't see your post until after I'd called tech support). They apparently haven't fixed the bug. Does anyone know why using a different subnet breaks it?
samuelbjohnson

Postby dmciver » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:35 pm

Only a guess - but I presume Roku must use the 192.168.16.xx / 24 subnet internally for testing or whatever and something in the firmware of the device recognizes that subnet as being a special private network and thinks it can't connect to the internet. Or it could be some malicious chinese / russian back-door code :-)
dmciver

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion