Warner Archive Instant launches (ATM HD is Roku Exclusive)

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Re: Warner Archive Instant launches (ATM HD is Roku Exclusiv

Postby Kentucky Bootleg » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:22 pm

Well, here's a funny twist of events. I hooked the Roku HD back up because the XD I just purchased became too unbearable in the sound as well. So I get the message to link the HD to Warner Instant even though it is already linked. The page on the Roku HD refreshed to give me a code and then kept saying 'Generating code'. Now it says 'Connection Error: There was an error trying to connect to the service. Try again in a few minutes. Well the Instant Archive website says 'OUR APOLOGIES: This Service is Unavailable' underneath their red banners. Also, the connection error keeps bumping me off their channel on the Roku so they are completely DOWN!! Hopefully to fix the mess they are having a time with. C'mon Warner, you're only the biggest distribution company in the world! I think they may be reading our pains and ills here on the forum as well. :lol:

BTW, I AM PULLING FOR YA WARNER!! Get the bugs out and after ya do, a devotee like myself will be waiting with bells on. Whatever the <The entropy of a perfect crystal, at absolute zero kelvin, is exactly equal to zero. - Third Law of Thermodynamics> the bells part means. Anyway, we (at least I hope a good bunch of 'we') will look forward to ya in the Roku store as the official Warner Instant Archive alternative! Good luck!
Kentucky Bootleg

Postby mkiker2089 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:49 pm

Skipping ahead Im not sure if I like this or not. Content aside do we really want more channels and more money? I'd rather they inked a deal with Hulu or Netflix and let me use that instead. Warner is a big studio so they could be the exception, but generally it's better to aggregate content than fragment it.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089

Postby Kentucky Bootleg » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:01 am

[POST DELETED] Keeping the posts on track technically speaking.
Last edited by Kentucky Bootleg on Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kentucky Bootleg

Postby FredNugent99 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:08 am

Kentucky Bootleg wrote:
I guess the saddest part is the creation of the Archive website wasn't really to sell rare material per se but to sell some Politically Incorrect titles that we as a nation have become too sensitive to view or may upset today's 'diverse' crowd. It's almost like they are saying 'Freedom of Speech American Titles' with a SHHH! pass it along whisper. Didn't mean to stray OT but it pertained to the Archive website and channel that may end up in the channel store once it works it's bugs out. I hope it succeeds.

Seriously? You really think that the site is a way to "quietly" give people access to politically incorrect material? So, they want to make money from the material, but they don't want to make as much $ as possible, that's why they offer it on this new site? Of course, for your reasoning to make any sense, you would also have to believe that WB does not want the site to be successful (you know, so that they can continue to "quietly" offer the non pc stuff).

WB is part of a big multi-national corporation. They just want to make as much money as they can. They know that even those for whom political correctness is important don't care whether or not old movies are PC. Those old movies just reflect their times.

And just for the heck of it, I checked Netflix to see whether or not your theory about "Politically Incorrect titles that we as a nation have become too sensitive to view" had any validity. It turns out they have loads of politically incorrect titles (and - SHOCK - nobody protests). For starters, they have Charlie Chan movies and they have Birth of a Nation. So, what, a film that glorifies the KKK isn't politically incorrect enough for you?
FredNugent99

Postby jellybean7 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:44 am

FredNugent99 wrote:
Seriously? You really think that the site is a way to "quietly" give people access to politically incorrect material?

agreed. this theory makes no sense. Whatever he is referring to specifically, almost all "questionable" content from the past is nothing compared to what's out there today. "political correctness" has nothing to do with their motivation for doing this.

IMO warner brothers is simply doing this to see if they can make a little more dough compared to what netflix or someone else would pay them for the titles. It's greed. I really think they should just takes whatever paltry sum netflix offers and just try to get a little more each time they renew the contract.

regardless of what they charge for this tiny catalogue, I don't see it making enough money to even fill the coffeepots at WB
jellybean7

Postby Kentucky Bootleg » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:41 am

[POST DELETED] Keeping the posts on track technically speaking.
Last edited by Kentucky Bootleg on Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kentucky Bootleg

Postby Kentucky Bootleg » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:06 am

My website was cultrararevideos.com - I shut it down when I was threatened and due to the fact I was just plum tired and needed a vacation. The studios saw these titles like I said, were public domain at the time and swooped in behind our backs and bought the rights. But after being in 8 car accidents, I filed for disability and had no problems getting it since my lower back, upper neck and 23 years of Psychiatric visits clinched it, one of which doctors I'm headed out the door for right now. But I'll be back in my chair later watching hours of streaming and DVDs because this is what asses who were in a hurry have turned me in to, a cripple. Yep, none of the car accidents were my fault but pain doesn't discriminate.
Kentucky Bootleg

Postby FredNugent99 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:38 pm

Kentucky Bootleg wrote:I stand by what I say and being one of the first bootlegging streaming sites and illegal DVDs, I can first handedly tell you the titles they carry like I said are discontinued for many reasons which include P.C. issues. I had personal dealings with them and respect them for warnings and not extreme punishment. A while back WB had a ton of these titles dropped entirely from their Main Stream catalogue from 1927 to 1972. They were handed off to a company to be destroyed. The remaining DVDs that is. They ended up being sold at your local big lots stores which infuriated WB. There's a lot more to this story and more complex than what's on the surface. Ask yourself this though because I'm in a hurry. Are all these remakes from the mid 90's onward just laziness and convenience on the studio's part or are the gluttony of P.C. remakes covering up original films which most kids (20's and under) wouldn't go back that far to watch? BTW, they don't teach this in college. Just the opposite. Believe what ya want. I'm just giving you some backstory. Either way have a good day.

So, running a "bootleg DVD/Illegal stream" site somehow gives you credibility? And gives you access to the decision making issues at Warner's? Really?

I believe that you ran a site with the questionable material. I believe that pressure from Warner's made you shut it down. But nothing you say backs up your claims about non PC movies.
And as to why studios keep remaking old movies, that's easy. They do it for money. New movies based on old ones (the current Oz movie, for example) have a head start and a built in audience (as do movies based on TV shows, comic books, video games, etc.). They have a better chance of making money.

When doing a re-make, do today's filmmakers avoid the stereotypes that may have appeared in the originals? Of course, they do. Such things may not sit well with today's filmakers, and besides, they're making them for modern audiences who (hopefully) see things differently. They also shoot the movies differently with modern effects, etc. So?

But, yeah, I agree, "...they don't teach this in college." I'm sure they don't.
FredNugent99

Postby gonzotek » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:04 pm

FredNugent99 wrote:When doing a re-make, do today's filmmakers avoid the stereotypes that may have appeared in the originals? Of course, they do. Such things may not sit well with today's filmakers, and besides, they're making them for modern audiences who (hopefully) see things differently.
Someday the human race will pay for all of the machines that have been stereotyped as purely evil in oh-so-many science fiction films. Let us only hope that a copy of Wall-E survives to redeem us.

:wink:
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com
gonzotek
** Valued Community Member **

Postby Kentucky Bootleg » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:03 pm

FredNugent, You're a HuffPost contributor? Two posts here? That tells me everything about you.
Kentucky Bootleg

Postby RokuShawnS » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:47 pm

This thread is going nowhere fast, and will now be locked.

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Previous

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion