Roku 3 vs. Roku 2 XS HD USB Media Player Channel

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Roku 3 vs. Roku 2 XS HD USB Media Player Channel

Postby bspencer » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:15 pm

I tried to post this in the viewtopic.php?f=66&t=36754&start=0 topic, but there wasn't an option to reply. If this belongs in that topic, I would appreciate a moderator moving it for me. Thanks.

I have an MKV (H.264) that plays perfectly fine on my Roku 3 using the USB Media Player channel. However, when I try to play the same file on my Roku 2 XS HD using the USB Media Player channel, the video is perfect, but I get no sound at all. Here's the audio information for the file. Any help with this is greatly appreciated.

Audio
ID : 2
Format : AC-3
Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
Mode extension : CM (complete main)
Format settings, Endianness : Big
Codec ID : A_AC3
Duration : 2h 16mn
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 448 Kbps
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth : 16 bits
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 438 MiB (5%)
Language : English
Default : Yes
Forced : No
bspencer
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:45 pm

Re: Roku 3 vs. Roku 2 XS HD USB Media Player Channel

Postby RickRansom » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:22 pm

Are both Roku players connected to the same TV/receiver when you experience this issue? The Roku player is just a pass through device which means the TV/receiver needs to be able to decode the stream/signal coming out of the Roku box.
Retired
User avatar
RickRansom
 
Posts: 2156
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:23 pm
Location: PH

Re: Roku 3 vs. Roku 2 XS HD USB Media Player Channel

Postby bspencer » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:24 pm

RickRansom wrote:Are both Roku players connected to the same TV/receiver when you experience this issue? The Roku player is just a pass through device which means the TV/receiver needs to be able to decode the stream/signal coming out of the Roku box.


Both Rokus are going directly to the HDMI input of a television. There is no receiver in the mix at all. They are connected to two different televisions.
bspencer
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:45 pm

Re: Roku 3 vs. Roku 2 XS HD USB Media Player Channel

Postby renojim » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:26 pm

In the XS audio settings, is it set to 5.1 surround sound?

-JT
renojim
** Valued Community Member **
 
Posts: 2447
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:35 pm

Re: Roku 3 vs. Roku 2 XS HD USB Media Player Channel

Postby bspencer » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:30 pm

I just double checked. It's set to Stereo just like the Roku 3 is. Seems that maybe the Roku 3 may just be more capable of different audio streams?
bspencer
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:45 pm

Re: Roku 3 vs. Roku 2 XS HD USB Media Player Channel

Postby renojim » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:39 pm

It could be that the Roku 3 firmware will automatically use the 5.1 stream if there's no stereo stream whereas the 2's firmware will only use the 5.1 stream if it's specifically set in the audio settings. Either way, did you try to switch the setting in the XS to see if you get audio?

-JT
renojim
** Valued Community Member **
 
Posts: 2447
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:35 pm

Re: Roku 3 vs. Roku 2 XS HD USB Media Player Channel

Postby bspencer » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:46 pm

Switching the Roku 2 XS HD to 5.1 audio did nothing.
bspencer
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:45 pm

Re: Roku 3 vs. Roku 2 XS HD USB Media Player Channel

Postby RickRansom » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:03 pm

bspencer wrote:Both Rokus are going directly to the HDMI input of a television. There is no receiver in the mix at all. They are connected to two different televisions.

Have you tried connecting the Roku 2 XS player to the TV where the Roku 3 is hooked up? Sorry if you already posted that and I failed to catch it.
Retired
User avatar
RickRansom
 
Posts: 2156
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:23 pm
Location: PH

Re: Roku 3 vs. Roku 2 XS HD USB Media Player Channel

Postby bspencer » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:17 pm

RickRansom wrote:
bspencer wrote:Both Rokus are going directly to the HDMI input of a television. There is no receiver in the mix at all. They are connected to two different televisions.

Have you tried connecting the Roku 2 XS player to the TV where the Roku 3 is hooked up? Sorry if you already posted that and I failed to catch it.


I initially didn't try this because I thought that there would be no difference. However, much to my surprise, the Roku 2 XS HD works on the other TV. What's the difference? The Roku 2 XS HD is connecting via an HDMI switch on the TV that had no sound and it is directly connected to the TV that does have sound. Good news is that I now know what the problem is. Bad news is that I now have to research what the issue is with using an HDMI switch. All other sounds from my Roku 2 XS HD via the HDMI switch work (e.g. Menu Navigation chimes, Angry Birds, MLB.TV, HBO Go). Strange. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. Also, thanks for all the help.
Last edited by bspencer on Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bspencer
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:45 pm

Re: Roku 3 vs. Roku 2 XS HD USB Media Player Channel

Postby trekkeriii » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:24 pm

bspencer wrote:
RickRansom wrote:
bspencer wrote:Both Rokus are going directly to the HDMI input of a television. There is no receiver in the mix at all. They are connected to two different televisions.

Have you tried connecting the Roku 2 XS player to the TV where the Roku 3 is hooked up? Sorry if you already posted that and I failed to catch it.


I initially didn't try this because I thought that there would be no difference. However, much to my surprise, the Roku 2 XS HD works on the other TV. What's the difference? The Roku 2 XS HD is conecting via an HDMI switch on the TV that had no sound and it is directly connected to the TV that does have sound. Good news is that I now know what the problem is. Bad news is that I now have to research what the issue is with using an HDMI switch. All other sounds from my Roku 2 XS HD via the HDMI switch work (e.g. Menu Navigation chimes, Angry Birds, MLB.TV, HBO Go). Strange. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. Also, thanks for all the help.


My guess is the TV is not properly decoding the AC3 track in that MKV.
Roku2 XS, 42" LCD, Ethernet (5.5 b320)
Roku Stick HDMI, 32" LCD, WiFi (5.5 b2027)
Roku N1000, 25" CRT, Ethernet (3.1)
Router - Linksys WRT54G2
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
trekkeriii
** Valued Community Member **
 
Posts: 1231
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:10 am

Re: Roku 3 vs. Roku 2 XS HD USB Media Player Channel

Postby bspencer » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:27 pm

trekkeriii wrote:My guess is the TV is not properly decoding the AC3 track in that MKV.


So, you don't think it has anything to do with the HDMI switch? I'll try connecting the Roku 2 XS HD directly to the TV that has no sound to eliminate the switch and see what happens.
bspencer
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:45 pm

Re: Roku 3 vs. Roku 2 XS HD USB Media Player Channel

Postby RickRansom » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:30 pm

trekkeriii wrote:My guess is the TV is not properly decoding the AC3 track in that MKV.

+1
Retired
User avatar
RickRansom
 
Posts: 2156
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:23 pm
Location: PH

Re: Roku 3 vs. Roku 2 XS HD USB Media Player Channel

Postby bspencer » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:00 pm

I connected my Roku 2 XS HD directly, bypassing the HDMI switch, to the TV that had no sound and it still had no sound. So, as some of you suspected, the HDMI switch has nothing to do with the problem. Is the next step to see if there was a firmware upgrade for my TV or do I just need to re-encode the audio in my video file? If so, what from the following audio stream that my TV can't decode would possibly be the culprit?

Audio
ID : 2
Format : AC-3
Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
Mode extension : CM (complete main)
Format settings, Endianness : Big
Codec ID : A_AC3
Duration : 2h 16mn
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 448 Kbps
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth : 16 bits
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 438 MiB (5%)
Language : English
Default : Yes
Forced : No
bspencer
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:45 pm

Re: Roku 3 vs. Roku 2 XS HD USB Media Player Channel

Postby trekkeriii » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:06 pm

bspencer wrote:I connected my Roku 2 XS HD directly, bypassing the HDMI switch, to the TV that had no sound and it still had no sound. So, as some of you suspected, the HDMI switch has nothing to do with the problem. Is the next step to see if there was a firmware upgrade for my TV or do I just need to re-encode the audio in my video file? If so, what from the following audio stream that my TV can't decode would possibly be the culprit?


My guess is, the TV can't decode Dolby Digital via HDMI. Some TVs lack that feature, only decode Dolby Digital through the TV tuner.
Roku2 XS, 42" LCD, Ethernet (5.5 b320)
Roku Stick HDMI, 32" LCD, WiFi (5.5 b2027)
Roku N1000, 25" CRT, Ethernet (3.1)
Router - Linksys WRT54G2
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
trekkeriii
** Valued Community Member **
 
Posts: 1231
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:10 am

Re: Roku 3 vs. Roku 2 XS HD USB Media Player Channel

Postby bspencer » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:20 pm

Works just fine after remuxing the audio to an AAC 2 channel stream using MKVAVI2MP4. Thanks for all the help. By the way, anyone know of a good program to keep the MKV container and just remux the audio rather than also changing the file to MP4?
bspencer
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:45 pm

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: crimkid, johns74 and 53 guests