Roku 3 new, good picture, no sound

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Roku 3 new, good picture, no sound

Postby jerbeak » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:46 am

Hooked up my new Roku 3 and tried to play a Netflix movie. Have good picture but no sound. I am plugged into my Pioneer tv with an HDMI cable. Using wireless internet. Any suggestions???
jerbeak

Re: Roku 3 new, good picture, no sound

Postby philsoft » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:04 am

jerbeak wrote:Hooked up my new Roku 3 and tried to play a Netflix movie. Have good picture but no sound. I am plugged into my Pioneer tv with an HDMI cable. Using wireless internet. Any suggestions???

When you play a Movie in Netflix, try going into the audio settings on the movie info page and set it to stereo.
philsoft
** Valued Community Member **

Postby dboff01 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:16 am

As already alluded to, if you are selecting a 5.1 content source in Netflix and your receiver model doesn't support Dolby Digital Plus (note, not the same as regular Dolby Digital), you can experience the no sound behavior you're describing.

Options are to stick to stereo sound for Netflix (and Vudu which also used DD+) or upgrade your receiver.
dboff01

Postby RickRansom » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:19 am

dboff01 wrote:As already alluded to, if you are selecting a 5.1 content source in Netflix and your receiver model doesn't support Dolby Digital Plus (note, not the same as regular Dolby Digital), you can experience the no sound behavior you're describing.

Options are to stick to stereo sound for Netflix (and Vudu which also used DD+) or upgrade your receiver.

+ 1
Retired
RickRansom

Postby philsoft » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:28 am

dboff01 wrote:As already alluded to, if you are selecting a 5.1 content source in Netflix and your receiver model doesn't support Dolby Digital Plus (note, not the same as regular Dolby Digital), you can experience the no sound behavior you're describing.

The OP is not using a receiver, but is plugged directly into the TV.
philsoft

Postby gonzotek » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:35 am

philsoft wrote:

Answer remains the same. If the device in charge of the audio (tv or receiver) isn't capable of DD+, and the stream is in DD+, you get no sound. Switch to stereo, or get a new device, are for better or worse, the only answers.

That's all assuming the OP's problem is due to a DD+ stream. If the Roku and/or Netflix were already set to stereo, then there is another issue. In that case, first thing I'd try is re-seating the HDMI cable, then trying a different HDMI port.
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com
gonzotek

Postby philsoft » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:38 am

gonzotek wrote:
philsoft wrote:

Answer remains the same.

I know, I gave him the answer he needed at this point, in the first response. I am trying to keep the thread simple.
philsoft

Postby Mark12547 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:24 pm

Besides the audio mode mentioned several times earlier in this thread, two additional possibilities come immediately to mind:

1. Be sure you do not have the ear plugs plugged into the remote. (Plugging something into the ear plugs port on the remote cuts off the audio to the TV.)

2. Are you using an actual HDMI port in the TV, or are you going through a HDMI-to-DVI adapter to a DVI port on the TV? If it is a DVI port on the TV, you will not get sound because DVI doesn't carry sound.
Mark12547

Postby wineguru » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:41 am

In my case I can't get audio on Vudu. I have HDMI directly into the TV and optical out, from the TV, to my stereo receiver.
All other channels seem to work just fine with this setup.
Are you saying that the DD+ won't be carried down the optical?
This setup also worked fine with my PS3 and Vudu...

Wineguru
wineguru

Postby RickRansom » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:47 am

wineguru wrote:Are you saying that the DD+ won't be carried down the optical?
Yes.
This setup also worked fine with my PS3 and Vudu...
This.
Retired
RickRansom

Postby wineguru » Sun May 05, 2013 6:10 am

Well, that sucks! Thanks
wineguru

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion