How to recv History Channel and H2?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

How to recv History Channel and H2?

Postby Ann Ergia » Sat May 04, 2013 6:15 pm

We did it. We finally bought an antenna, DTV converter, and a Roku 2 XS (we have an old TV). Having some trouble hooking it all up thru our Denon receiver, tho. Cancelled Comcast today.

I'm posting because my husband really loves the History Channel and H2 and I want to be able to make him comfortable with the Roku experience as soon as possible. I'm looking into Plex but in the meantime, does anyone know how to get these 2 channels right away? Hulu Plus has them listed, but if I click on them on my PC, it says they're not available for streaming to TV yet.

My goal is to get the Roku running and immediately give him the channels he loves - we can pick other channels once that's done.

Any solutions?
~ I have never worked so hard just to watch TV ~
Ann Ergia

Re: How to recv History Channel and H2?

Postby trekkeriii » Sat May 04, 2013 6:42 pm

Ann Ergia wrote:We did it. We finally bought an antenna, DTV converter, and a Roku 2 XS (we have an old TV). Having some trouble hooking it all up thru our Denon receiver, tho. Cancelled Comcast today.

I'm posting because my husband really loves the History Channel and H2 and I want to be able to make him comfortable with the Roku experience as soon as possible. I'm looking into Plex but in the meantime, does anyone know how to get these 2 channels right away? Hulu Plus has them listed, but if I click on them on my PC, it says they're not available for streaming to TV yet.

My goal is to get the Roku running and immediately give him the channels he loves - we can pick other channels once that's done.

Any solutions?

History Channel doesn't have a Roku Channel App. I don't know aside from a small library of content available via Netflix anyways to get History Channel on Roku. Plex doesn't have a plugin either that I know of.
Roku2 XS, 42" LCD, Ethernet (5.5 b320)
Roku Stick HDMI, 32" LCD, WiFi (5.5 b2027)
Roku N1000, 25" CRT, Ethernet (3.1)
Router - Linksys WRT54G2
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
trekkeriii
** Valued Community Member **

Postby TheEndless » Sat May 04, 2013 7:02 pm

A fair bit of History channel content is available on Amazon Instant and Vudu, but you have to pay per episode or season.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Justin.tv (JUSTINTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless

Postby Ann Ergia » Sat May 04, 2013 7:24 pm

Thank you for your prompt posts!

I feel bad for him. We were happy with cable, except for the cost, so this conversion is a bit of an upheaval. I'll just keep my eye on those channels - maybe someday...
Ann Ergia

Postby Basil » Sat May 04, 2013 8:50 pm

Ann Ergia wrote:We did it. We finally bought an antenna, DTV converter, and a Roku 2 XS (we have an old TV). Having some trouble hooking it all up thru our Denon receiver, tho. Cancelled Comcast today.

Any solutions?

You may have already picked up that with Roku (or any set-top box) you don't look for channels so much as you look for shows. Yes, Hulu (and Hulu Plus) has shows sometimes grouped by network, but you've also discovered that much of the History Channel/H2 content is Web only; that is, not Hulu Plus content.

Even though the episodes of shows run around $2 each (less if you purchase a Season Pass), my experience is that the cost is still a LOT less than paying for cable. Another thing to keep in mind is much of the content on those channels isn't new content. They'll play old shows a lot. Those are often available from Amazon Prime or Netflix. Current stuff, though, is probably gonna be through Amazon (not Prime, but pay per episode).

Like you said, it's a jolt to make the transition, but now, I wouldn't have it any other way.
Basil
http://www.basilsblog.com/
http://www.imao.us/
Roku 3, Roku HDMI Streaming Stick, Roku LT; previous Roku 2 XS, Roku 2 XD, Roku 2 HD, Roku XD|S, Roku HD
Also running Apple TV, TiVo/OTA, Simple.TV/OTA, Chromecast, Amazon Fire TV
Basil

Postby Wiscban » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:16 pm

Hi,
We got rid of cable a couple of months ago. My husband also was in love with the History Channel. We had and old computer and hooked it up to the tv and now he watches lots of History Channel and AE TV. There's lots to look at through the Internet and YouTube and DailyMotion have a lot of shows too. You just have to search for them in the beginning, it's a learning curve.
Virg
Wiscban

Postby rayik » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:57 am

Two choices I am aware of:

Plex media server (on pc running full time) with Roku plex channel
or
The {unmentionable name] program (on pc running full time) with the [unmentionable private channel] on the Roku

Both choices also server up the other channel mentioned in the post above this
rayik

Postby Ann Ergia » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:00 pm

Plex does not have a working History channel app - either officially or unsupported. I have not tried "unmentionable" because I can't spare the $.

I pretty much just download whatever I want to watch and play it thru Plex, but although I can access video thru History.com and, occasionally, thru Xfinity they have encoding to prevent them from being directly downloaded (right click on a video and read the top lines of the little window). ThePlatform PDK is one. Therefore, History channel videos are often catch-as-catch-can - at least the ones I want. If someone knows of a downloader that will bypass the extra encoding, I'd love to hear about it. I use Ant Downloader on Firefox. It's free and it's easy to use. Free is key!
Ann Ergia

Postby knuckle » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:42 pm

Hi Ann,

there is some history content on the Justin tv private channel (my favorite channel ) in the documentaries section all be it is mostly conspiracy/aliens stuff ( I love that stuff) with a bit of war history here and there and the series section carries some of the less historical type fare (pawn wars and swamp people etc)
ROKU 1 XD J0A113014862
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
all running wireless on a Netgear WNR 1000

favorite channel-- Justin TV
knuckle

Postby johninFL » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:23 pm

The History channel can be found "live" streaming from two places."The service that shall not be named" is one,though the PQ is poor. .and the stream unreliable.The other place is on the internet.
Just google History TV live feed.It may take a while but If you are diligent you'll find the right link.I did. :)
The same holds true for live news feeds from Fox,CNN,and MSNBC.

Seek and ye shall find. :) 8)

After you have "found" you can then connect your PC to your AVR/TV via HDMI then lay back and watch on your TV. 8) 8) 8)

You can get almost anything you want at the internet restaurant....IF you look hard :D :D :mrgreen:
johninFL

Postby FredNugent69 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:23 am

+1 :mrgreen:
ROKU 3 (Given away)
(2) ROKU 2 HD (the champ)
(2) ROKU 2 XS
ROKU 2 XD
SONY BLU-RAY BDP-S580
BRIGHTHOUSE MODEM/ROUTER BRIDGED WITH NETGEAR WNDR4500 (Router)
FredNugent69

Postby zm3sichi » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:13 am

johninFL wrote:The History channel can be found "live" streaming from two places."The service that shall not be named" is one,though the PQ is poor. .and the stream unreliable.The other place is on the internet.
Just google History TV live feed.It may take a while but If you are diligent you'll find the right link.I did. :)
The same holds true for live news feeds from Fox,CNN,and MSNBC.

Seek and ye shall find. :) 8)

After you have "found" you can then connect your PC to your AVR/TV via HDMI then lay back and watch on your TV. 8) 8) 8)

You can get almost anything you want at the internet restaurant....IF you look hard :D :D :mrgreen:

FredNugent69 wrote:+1 :mrgreen:

<fudd>Just be "veeeeeeeewwwyy veeeeeeeewwwyy caweful (hehehehehehe)"</fudd> when doing all that "seeking." A client of mine found a site that provided one of those channels, only to also encounter a rather nasty rootkit infection which, in turn, led to a bout with "Google Redirect Virurs." :o :shock:

A rootkit is a piece of malware that invades the OS kernel itself and hides therein. It then acquires "Super user / Admin" privileges so it can do whatever mayhem it wants (in my client's case, cause the "Google Redirect Virus" infection). GRV manifests itself by tainting your search results in all the major search engines (Google, Yahoo, Bing, etc.) and sending you to other places (ie. ad sites, spam sites, etc.)... Thankfully, this one didn't send my client to any "adult" sites. You can tell you've been infected with GRV by generating some search results and then hovering over some links before clicking on them. If the "preview URL" you see at bottom left doesn't mesh with the context of the result over which you are hovering (e.g. it points to a hard IP adress that is unrelated), it's a good bet you've been infected with GRV.

Furthermore, rootkits can also invade your Master Boot Record (MBR) and even the BIOS EEPROM. If it does, the only thing you can do is either restore the system from a "safe" full FDR backup (that's a "sector for sector" image copy of the whole physical disk), or re-install the OS from scratch. It is not enough just to run a OS repair" procedure. The whole disk must be restored, and the BIOS re flashed. Thankfully, we did have a safe full FDR backup and did not need to rebuild. Most rootkits are stealthy enough to hide from the average commercial grade anti-malware/spyware software. It takes specialized rootkit detection software to find them. Even then, it's very difficult to clean them. The disk must, usually, be completely restored from a FDR backup, or be completely rebuilt/re-installed from scratch and BIOS re flashed. Trust me... it pays to backup frequently!

Just sayin... like the late, great Phil Esterhaus.... "HEY...HEY........ let's be careful out there!' :mrgreen:
zm3sichi

Postby Basil » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:40 am

Basil
http://www.basilsblog.com/
http://www.imao.us/
Roku 3, Roku HDMI Streaming Stick, Roku LT; previous Roku 2 XS, Roku 2 XD, Roku 2 HD, Roku XD|S, Roku HD
Also running Apple TV, TiVo/OTA, Simple.TV/OTA, Chromecast, Amazon Fire TV
Basil

Postby socantra » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:24 am

zm3sichi wrote:Just sayin... like the late, great Phil Esterhaus.... "HEY...HEY........ let's be careful out there!'

I'm not sure that fictional tv characters ever get to be "late,great" in the age of perpetual rerun channels and streaming. Michael Conrad is "late". Phil Esterhaus is still all over the place. :)
Please attempt to maintain a thin veneer of civility.
Remember, you are speaking to strangers on the internet,
not your own family at home.
socantra

Postby zm3sichi » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:36 am

socantra wrote:
zm3sichi wrote:Just sayin... like the late, great Phil Esterhaus.... "HEY...HEY........ let's be careful out there!'

I'm not sure that fictional tv characters ever get to be "late,great" in the age of perpetual rerun channels and streaming. Michael Conrad is "late". Phil Esterhaus is still all over the place. :)

Actually, Phil Esterhaus *did* perish, in the series. Remember they all scattered his ashes on Hill St. itself, and the street sweeper came later and swept them away? I recall Lt. Hunter (as he scattered his portion) saying, "Phil... Home is a sailor from the sea.... and a hunter from the Hill." :)
zm3sichi

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion