When does each Roku auto-update?

Discussions about Roku products, channels, and Roku-related topics.

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Re: When does each Roku auto-update?

Postby trekkeriii » Sun May 05, 2013 5:54 am

I would imagine you're asking a question with an answer that might be considered a trade secret at Roku. I do know on the secret screen that some people have different servers they connect to if they are set to be in a beta group. They can send updates based on Serial Number, too, based on other threads in this forum.
Roku2 XS, 42" LCD, Ethernet (5.5 b320)
Roku Stick HDMI, 32" LCD, WiFi (5.5 b2027)
Roku N1000, 25" CRT, Ethernet (3.1)
Router - Linksys WRT54G2
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
trekkeriii
** Valued Community Member **

Postby Basil » Sun May 05, 2013 6:08 am

beq wrote:What's the algorithm to decide when a Roku performs firmware and channel auto updates? Is it exactly once every 24 hrs (after a power-on or manual update)? Is it a random time each day? Is it an idle timer ('x' minutes being idle, 'y' hours after last update)?

Could multiple Roku's in a house auto update at the same time? Can Roku HQ force-push an update in real-time?

So, "daily" isn't sufficient? What's driving the question?

You may not get a response to the question as you asked it. But, if we knew what you're really trying to accomplish, perhaps someone can suggest an action or response that meets your needs or soothes your soul.
Basil
http://www.imao.us/
Roku 3, Roku LT
Apple TV, TiVo/OTA, FireTV Stick, Chromecast

Previous:
Roku HDMI Streaming Stick, Roku 1, Roku 2 XS, Roku 2 XD, Roku 2 HD, Roku XD|S, Roku HD
Simple.TV/OTA, FireTV
Basil

Postby dssonic » Sun May 05, 2013 6:56 am

Keep in mind you can also force it to update under settings -> system update.
dssonic

Postby trekkeriii » Sun May 05, 2013 7:20 am

You can also go to the Secret Screen ([HOME] 5 times, [FF] 3 times, [REW] 2 times), there's a system update option there. You can also see which update server you are connected to. I imagine most are connected to "release", but I remember for a short time being connected to the "beta".
Roku2 XS, 42" LCD, Ethernet (5.5 b320)
Roku Stick HDMI, 32" LCD, WiFi (5.5 b2027)
Roku N1000, 25" CRT, Ethernet (3.1)
Router - Linksys WRT54G2
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
trekkeriii

Postby TheEndless » Sun May 05, 2013 11:11 am

beq wrote:Thank you for the info. In the course of setting up family member Roku's (some sharing accounts), I sometimes mess up a channel and thought to delete and re-install, to start over the channel configuration. But the worry is if I don't re-install fast enough, another Roku on that same account may auto-update and also delete the channel, and thereby erase the work I already did to set it up on that other Roku.

Anyways I forgot to write down the secret screen settings for each Roku as I was setting it up. The two I have in front of me right now are on the beta update server (and channel store server: api.roku.com). Do you know what the "Cycle software update server" and "Cycle channel store server" options do?

There's absolutely no reason for you to even need that screen. It has no bearing on how often your Roku checks for updates, nor is it the correct way to check for updates. The only public information we have on updates is that they happen within 24-36 hours. Unless you're waiting several hours between removing the channel and re-adding it, there shouldn't be anything to worry about.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Twitch.tv (TWITCHTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless

Postby TheEndless » Sun May 05, 2013 12:49 pm

beq wrote:Anyways, are there any other information on auto updates besides the fact that they happen within 24-36 hours? Is it usually middle of the night, or anytime when idle, etc? Is auto update ever triggered when you leave the Roku on a channel (or paused on a channel playback)? If so, what happens if that channel has an update, or the Roku itself has a firmware update?

I've received updates in the middle of the day before, so it's definitely not limited to certain times of day. I believe it has to be idle on the home screen in order to receive updates, not in a channel.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Twitch.tv (TWITCHTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless

Postby RokuMarkn » Sun May 05, 2013 1:23 pm

It's also worth noting that the screen that allows you to cycle servers is not functional if you are not a member of a beta group. The screen may look like you're changing servers, but this has no effect for non-beta users.

--Mark
RokuMarkn
Roku Engineering

Postby pbnj » Mon May 06, 2013 6:58 pm

A long time ago in an internet far far away, Roku update servers had a 3-in-a-row policy too that I'd enjoy seeing re-instated.
If you were running a Roku Netflix player (that's what it was called back then) and were in a Geographically Undesirable Area, and a new update was available, you could request updates 3 times in 30 seconds and force the update.

Sadly, It seems to no longer work, but it'd be nice.
pbnj

Postby rayik » Tue May 07, 2013 6:23 am

beq wrote:I see, so if you're on beta update server, cycling will switch to the release update server? Once that happens, can you cycle back to the beta?

I have a Roku 2 XS that I signed up for beta program and it listed beta update server. Just playing around I cycled the update server. It changed to release. Cycling more will not change it back to beta server
rayik

Postby dlester03 » Tue May 07, 2013 6:59 am

dssonic wrote:Keep in mind you can also force it to update under settings -> system update.

Added a few new private channels yesterday and tried to force an update in this manner. Roku 3 sits on the updating screen for a few moments and then switches to "Checking your network settings" screen, times out and pops back to the screen that shows the current system version and the last update which, in my case, is May 5, 2013. Tried to force an update several times with no luck. New channels did not appear.
dlester03

Postby lion7718 » Tue May 07, 2013 7:39 am

dlester03 wrote:Added a few new private channels yesterday and tried to force an update in this manner. Roku 3 sits on the updating screen for a few moments and then switches to "Checking your network settings" screen, times out and pops back to the screen that shows the current system version and the last update which, in my case, is May 5, 2013. Tried to force an update several times with no luck. New channels did not appear.

For adding channels all you need to do is enter & exit channel store...once you exit, Roku will find your new channels.
lion7718

Postby dlester03 » Tue May 07, 2013 7:53 am

lion7718 wrote:
dlester03 wrote:Added a few new private channels yesterday and tried to force an update in this manner. Roku 3 sits on the updating screen for a few moments and then switches to "Checking your network settings" screen, times out and pops back to the screen that shows the current system version and the last update which, in my case, is May 5, 2013. Tried to force an update several times with no luck. New channels did not appear.

For adding channels all you need to do is enter & exit channel store...once you exit, Roku will find your new channels.

OK, I'll check again but I did not see the channels after I added them. I assumed they would show up today anyway so I guess it's kind of irrelevant at this point.
dlester03

Postby philsoft » Tue May 07, 2013 7:55 am

That is not how the Roku 3 updates channels. You need to go into settings and check for updates just as if you were checking for a firmware update.
philsoft

Postby dlester03 » Tue May 07, 2013 8:04 am

philsoft wrote:That is not how the Roku 3 updates channels. You need to go into settings and check for updates just as if you were checking for a firmware update.

That's what I thought! Which is what I was doing and it wasn't working. I'm assuming it was a problem with the connection to the server as I was able to watch Amazon Prime and Netflix but was not able to force an update check.
dlester03

Postby lion7718 » Tue May 07, 2013 8:11 am

philsoft wrote:That is not how the Roku 3 updates channels. You need to go into settings and check for updates just as if you were checking for a firmware update.

Good to know, thanx :mrgreen:
I have a 2XS
lion7718

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion