A list of my Roku 3 problems

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

A list of my Roku 3 problems

Postby stephcon » Mon May 06, 2013 8:52 pm

I have tried to go through this forum and comment on threads with a "hey, I have this problem too", but it's confusing, some threads are pretty old, and I'd like to have all of my problems listed in one place so I can make sure that somebody important knows about them. I can't figure out if there is a more appropriate thread that I should leave this as a comment on, so I'm sorry if there is!

Issue 1
Channel name. n/a.. This problem occurs after the Roku 3 has not been used for several hours, such as overnight.
Channel version n/a
What is the issue being reported? When the Roku 3 has not been used for several hours, the wireless internet connection drops. I have to go back into settings & then network & reconnect. The password and network name are still there, I just have to initiate the connection.
What are the steps to reproduce? Do not operate the Roku 3 for several hours.
Is it reproducible (how many times out of 5 does this happen)? This problem happens 3 out of 5 times when the Roku 3 has not been used for several hours. It seems to be less common over the past week, for reasons unknown to me.
What is the serial number of the box? 1GH325018218
What software version is the box running? version 5.0 build 7070, software update check says software is up to date.
Code for the channel installed. n/a
Is the box connected to the internet via wireless or a wired connection? (Wifi or Ethernet.) wireless
What signal strength is the box reporting if connected to the internet via Wifi? Excellent
What type of internet service does the user have? (DSL, Cable, T1, Fiber, Satellite, etc AT&T u-verse
How is the box connected to the TV (HDMI, Composite, Component)? HDMI
What resolution is being used? 1080p
If it is a paid channel is the user a subscriber/member, and for how long? n/a

Issue 2
Channel name. Netflix
Channel version version 3.1 build 6005
What is the issue being reported? When watching a series, after an episode has ended, I can't choose the next, or any other episode. The only button that will do anything is the "back" arrow button, and it will back up within the app. I can go back to the "choose an episode" screen, but even then I can't choose an episode because the "ok" button doesn't work. In order to watch the next episode or something else, I have to either back completely out of the app or hit the home button and re-launch the app. This problem is kind of hard to explain... just tell me if you don't understand and maybe I can think of a way to re-word it, but I've read of other people having this issue as well.
What are the steps to reproduce? Watch a series episode to the end.
Is it reproducible (how many times out of 5 does this happen)? This problem is reproducible 5 out of 5 times. It always happens.
What software version is the box running? version 5.0 build 7070, software update check says software is up to date.
Code for the channel installed. I have tried to find one but can't.. is this just for private channels?
Is the box connected to the internet via wireless or a wired connection? (Wifi or Ethernet.) wireless
What signal strength is the box reporting if connected to the internet via Wifi? Excellent
What type of internet service does the user have? (DSL, Cable, T1, Fiber, Satellite, etc AT&T u-verse
If it is a paid channel is the user a subscriber/member, and for how long? I am a paid subscriber to Netflix Instant.. have been for years.

Issue 3
Channel name. Angry Birds Space
Channel version version 1.4 build 0
What is the issue being reported? While playing the game, the remote will quit responding. It has happened in two different ways. The first time it happened, I could still move the cursor around the screen, but pushing "ok" didn't do anything. I couldn't use any button on the remote, not even the "home" button. The second time this happened, I couldn't move the cursor, but when I hit "ok", the finger on the tip of the cursor would bend.. like it does in the game when you push "ok". I still couldn't use any other button on the remote this time either. To solve both problems, I had to remove the batteries from the remote and reinsert them. The remote returned to normal function after that.
What are the steps to reproduce? Play Angry Birds Space...
Is it reproducible (how many times out of 5 does this happen)? This has happened twice and we've played the game about ten times. I can't think of anything that was different about these two times than the other eight that would have made a difference. I was simply playing the game..
Code for the channel installed. I have tried to find one but can't.. is this just for private channels?
If it is a paid channel is the user a subscriber/member, and for how long? n/a

Another issue I've had is that no matter what screensaver I have saved, half of the time the default bouncing Roku screensaver is what shows up. Right now I have the Roku Analog Clock version 1.1 build 1 set as my screensaver, and I hardly ever see it. I mentioned this in another thread and somebody who doesn't work for Roku said it's supposed to happen.. But that doesn't make much sense to me so I think it's a problem.

Are these things that could/will be fixed with updates? Are these known issues? I don't know if I should exchange for another Roku or just stick it out and hope for a fix. Thanks.

This is the first Roku product that I've owned. Calling the Roku customer service phone number about these problems resulted in them telling me to contact Amazon (where I purchased my Roku 3) to have them send me a new one. This is actually my second Roku 3 because the first one was broken right out of the box :( I've had this second one since April 20th.

P.S. When I was checking the channel versions for the above channels, I saw something listed called "Play on Roku" version 2.0 build 8.. what is that? Does it have something to do with the ability to play my photos and videos from my iphone through the Roku app? This is just something I became curious about after I saw it because I knew I hadn't installed any channel with that name. Thanks again!
stephcon

Re: A list of my Roku 3 problems

Postby TheEndless » Mon May 06, 2013 9:27 pm

Issues 2 & 3 sound like you might have a defective remote. Pair that with issue #1, and it sounds like some sort of wifi interference. You might try changing the channel on your router to see if that helps.

stephcon wrote:P.S. When I was checking the channel versions for the above channels, I saw something listed called "Play on Roku" version 2.0 build 8.. what is that? Does it have something to do with the ability to play my photos and videos from my iphone through the Roku app? This is just something I became curious about after I saw it because I knew I hadn't installed any channel with that name. Thanks again!

That's exactly what it's for.. well, photos and audio, not video at this time. It's the hidden channel that the Roku iOS and Android apps use to send images and audio to the box.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Twitch.tv (TWITCHTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Postby dssonic » Tue May 07, 2013 7:19 am

Issue 2 is definitely your router or network settings. I had this problem for about a year and lived with it (every time you finish an episode just hit the home button and then re-enter netflix, a minor hassle). I bought a new wireless router about a week ago and the problem was gone.
dssonic

Postby traal » Wed May 08, 2013 2:07 pm

If the problem is router or network settings, surely the channel could do something more appropriate than what it's doing now.
traal

Postby TheEndless » Wed May 08, 2013 2:12 pm

traal wrote:If the problem is router or network settings, surely the channel could do something more appropriate than what it's doing now.

It's the remote that's not working correctly, most likely due to network interference, since it connects via WiFi-Direct. The channel is probably never receiving the button presses.
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Twitch.tv (TWITCHTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless

Postby taomaster99 » Thu May 09, 2013 7:55 am

Issue 2 is not a remote or router issue, it's a known issue that is being looked into, at least according to other threads i've seen it in. I have the same issue sometimes, not all the time, it doesn't advance to the next episode and sometimes if I go into the option to change to a different episode it only lists the last episode I watched and the other episodes come up blank and you can't choose them. Other times i can go into that option and it will list all the episodes and then I just have to choose the next episode manually, but usually they are all blank.
taomaster99

Postby TheEndless » Thu May 09, 2013 8:24 am

taomaster99 wrote:Issue 2 is not a remote or router issue, it's a known issue that is being looked into, at least according to other threads i've seen it in. I have the same issue sometimes, not all the time, it doesn't advance to the next episode and sometimes if I go into the option to change to a different episode it only lists the last episode I watched and the other episodes come up blank and you can't choose them. Other times i can go into that option and it will list all the episodes and then I just have to choose the next episode manually, but usually they are all blank.

That's a completely different issue from what the OP is reporting. The OP is saying that the OK button on the remote stops working, so they can't select the next episode, not that it won't automatically advance.
TheEndless

Postby taomaster99 » Fri May 10, 2013 8:23 am

TheEndless wrote:
taomaster99 wrote:Issue 2 is not a remote or router issue, it's a known issue that is being looked into, at least according to other threads i've seen it in. I have the same issue sometimes, not all the time, it doesn't advance to the next episode and sometimes if I go into the option to change to a different episode it only lists the last episode I watched and the other episodes come up blank and you can't choose them. Other times i can go into that option and it will list all the episodes and then I just have to choose the next episode manually, but usually they are all blank.

That's a completely different issue from what the OP is reporting. The OP is saying that the OK button on the remote stops working, so they can't select the next episode, not that it won't automatically advance.

I think it's the same issue because he states he can go into the choose an episode options which you would have to press OK to get into, at least as far as I know that is the only way to go into it. Either way something is jacked up, lol.
taomaster99

Postby skeggman » Thu May 16, 2013 8:12 pm

I have just purchased a Roku 3 and I am having the same issue as reported in issue 1.

What is the issue being reported? When the Roku 3 has not been used for several hours, the wireless internet connection drops. I have to go back into settings & then network & reconnect. The password and network name are still there, I just have to initiate the connection.

My wireless strength is excellent and every other wireless device in the house connects without an problems.
skeggman

Postby rajhaka123 » Sat May 18, 2013 3:43 pm

Having same as issue 1. Constantly dropping of wifi connection. Have contacted Roku Support twice. Once I describe the issue they have me connect to the wifi and then tell me the problem is solved. Last support tech asked me to use an ethernet cable to see if that would fix the wifi issues.
rajhaka123

Postby dwanthny » Sat May 18, 2013 7:37 pm

rajhaka123 wrote:Having same as issue 1. Constantly dropping of wifi connection. Have contacted Roku Support twice. Once I describe the issue they have me connect to the wifi and then tell me the problem is solved. Last support tech asked me to use an ethernet cable to see if that would fix the wifi issues.

You need to escalate this problem with customer service. Ask for a supervisor, if they can't help you then you need to have them send out a new unit or a refund.
:idea: 20GB of Free CLOUD STORAGE: For a limited time you can use this link https://copy.com?r=lB3oTH to sign up for a free 15GB Copy.com account and we both get an extra 5GB of free space.
dwanthny

Postby skeggman » Sun May 19, 2013 8:26 pm

Mine is now stable. All I did was give the Roku a static IP from my router. Admittedly it has only been a few days, however so far so good.
skeggman

Postby stephcon » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:40 am

Thanks everybody for your replies!
About issue two.. I don't think it's a wifi or remote problem because I can use other buttons on the remote, like the back button, up, down, left, right and the home button. The only thing I can't do is select anything else to watch (with the ok button). I think it is a known issue that I've read about having happened even with other roku models.
stephcon

Postby stephcon » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:42 am

skeggman wrote:Mine is now stable. All I did was give the Roku a static IP from my router. Admittedly it has only been a few days, however so far so good.

How do I do this? I have looked around in my router settings but can't figure it out.
stephcon

Postby renojim » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:17 pm

Look for something called "DHCP reservation" or post your router model number and someone will help you.

-JT
renojim

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion