MHL Port Adapters

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

MHL Port Adapters

Postby nomad07 » Fri May 10, 2013 12:00 pm

Looking for a HDMI MHL to HDMI adapter for Streaming Stick.

Basically I'm looking to add a MHL HDMI port to a non MHL HDMI port so I can add the Streaming Stick instead of a regular Roku. There seem to be plenty of MHL adapters out there but they are all are Micro USB to non MHL HDMI port. There appears to be no technical reason such an adapter shouldn't work. I don't know if they don't exist perhaps due to Roku Streaming Stick being the only HML device NOT using the MHL micro-USB standard.

I know there have been various MHL discussions but haven't seen anything that specifically addresses this topic.

Thoughts? Comments?
nomad07

Re: MHL Port Adapters

Postby mikeyts » Fri May 10, 2013 12:21 pm

nomad07 wrote:There appears to be no technical reason such an adapter shouldn't work.

One reason would be that there is power on MHL and none on HDMI. Any such adapter would have to have power source.
mikeyts

Postby nomad07 » Fri May 10, 2013 12:39 pm

mikeyts wrote:
nomad07 wrote:There appears to be no technical reason such an adapter shouldn't work.

One reason would be that there is power on MHL and none on HDMI. Any such adapter would have to have power source.

Exactly. They have MHL micro-usb (cell-phone) to non-MHL HDMI converters. These have a second USB port for power. There should be a similar adapter with an MHL HDMI input in place of the MHL micro-USB input.

nomad07

Postby jeffrok » Fri May 10, 2013 12:47 pm

nomad07 wrote:Looking for a HDMI MHL to HDMI adapter for Streaming Stick.

Basically I'm looking to add a MHL HDMI port to a non MHL HDMI port so I can add the Streaming Stick instead of a regular Roku. There seem to be plenty of MHL adapters out there but they are all are Micro USB to non MHL HDMI port. There appears to be no technical reason such an adapter shouldn't work. I don't know if they don't exist perhaps due to Roku Streaming Stick being the only HML device NOT using the MHL micro-USB standard.

I know there have been various MHL discussions but haven't seen anything that specifically addresses this topic.

Thoughts? Comments?

Just curious what you need a Roku stick for if it's not going to be powered by the port.. You lose its "tiny" factor by requiring that power adapter that comes with it.

Wondering how the one you show would work, without another HDMI->Micro USB adapter)..
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz
jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Postby RickRansom » Fri May 10, 2013 1:04 pm

jeffrok wrote:Just curious what you need a Roku stick for if it's not going to be powered by the port.. You lose its "tiny" factor by requiring that power adapter that comes with it.

Wondering how the one you show would work, without another HDMI->Micro USB adapter)..
+1

@OP: Unless you plan to get an MHL capable TV in the future, I see no advantage in getting the Roku stick provided you'll have to go out and find an MHL-HDMI adapter for it to work. It should work, but for the same price [or even less], the Roku 3 has a [1] dual-core processor, [2] a USB port, [3] an earphones jack on the remote and a regular HDMI out along with Ethernet capabilities.

Then again most people use regular Rokus, so having a Roku stick could be a good conversation starter. :wink:
Retired
RickRansom

Postby jeffrok » Fri May 10, 2013 1:09 pm

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=52333&start=0

Discussed before, as well.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
jeffrok

Postby nomad07 » Fri May 10, 2013 2:09 pm

jeffrok wrote:Just curious what you need a Roku stick for if it's not going to be powered by the port.. You lose its "tiny" factor by requiring that power adapter that comes with it.

Because it's still easier to tuck a Roku Streaming Stick, even with an MHL / HDMI adapter and tapped into the TV's USB and mount it flush on the wall than it is to mount a Roku 3 in the same location and get the extra AC power from the Roku 3 to the power outlet.
nomad07

Postby jeffrok » Fri May 10, 2013 2:23 pm

The Roku 3 can mount to the back of a TV.. Its remote is wireless direct, not infrared, so you can tuck that as well.. Plus, I'm not sure the USB port on the TV would even provide the power you need.. And without the necessary adapters, you won't be able to do what you want anyway.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
jeffrok

Postby kc8pql » Fri May 10, 2013 2:25 pm

Op, see the mount at the bottom of the page here:

http://www.roku.com/accessories
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql

Postby nomad07 » Fri May 10, 2013 2:41 pm

kc8pql wrote:Op, see the mount at the bottom of the page here:

http://www.roku.com/accessories

Appreciate the head's up. Attaching isn't the issue. It's that: 1)the Streaming Stick is MUCH smaller; 2)an MHL adapter with Streaming Stick could be powered off USB instead of having to run another AC power.
nomad07

Postby kc8pql » Fri May 10, 2013 2:42 pm

Then go for it if you feel like experimenting and don't mind voiding the warranty. Let us know how it works.
Last edited by kc8pql on Fri May 10, 2013 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql

Postby nomad07 » Fri May 10, 2013 2:44 pm

kc8pql wrote:Then go for it. Let us know how it works.

I would love to but having trouble locating the proper MHL adapter, hence my initial post asking for help regarding locating the proper adapter.
nomad07

Postby mikeyts » Fri May 10, 2013 3:38 pm

nomad07 wrote:2)an MHL adapter with Streaming Stick could be powered off USB instead of having to run another AC power.

USB connected to it where, coming from where?
mikeyts

Postby nomad07 » Fri May 10, 2013 3:43 pm

mikeyts wrote:
nomad07 wrote:2)an MHL adapter with Streaming Stick could be powered off USB instead of having to run another AC power.

USB connected to it where, coming from where?

USB Port on the flat panel television.
nomad07

Postby Mark12547 » Fri May 10, 2013 7:38 pm

beq wrote:I don't know much about the Streaming Stick, but I thought that in addition to an MHL port, it's actually designed to work with built-in support from the TV itself?

That is, the viewer would use the TV's onscreen menu interface (and the TV's remote) to control the SS, and the TV would send the commands to the SS via the bidirectional MHL port.

I thought that was Roku's whole proposition to TV manufacturers, that Roku would provide the "Smart TV" backend while the TV manufacturer still gets to keep the customers within the manufacturer's own UI.

http://www.roku.com/streamingstick shows as the Roku Stick being able to be controlled by a "Roku-aware" TV remote but also comes with a gaming remote.
Mark12547

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion