NEW CHANNEL**CRYPTIC TV

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Re: NEW CHANNEL**CRYPTIC TV

Postby johninFL » Thu May 23, 2013 9:41 am

LouXS wrote:John - how does Cryptic compare to Pub-D-Hub -- which is one of my fave Roku channels - private or otherwise...

Oh it's not like Pub-D-Hub at all.You don't have your choice of movies to watch.It's more like turning on the tv and watching something that's already showing on XYZ channel,and much like tv you won't automatically know what the title of the movie is unless you saw it from the beginning.
The thing i like most about the channel is all the really old commercials,most if not all i forgot about decades ago.Like the commercial about having to clear the lot of the 1960 Chevy Impala's to make room for the "NEW" '61 Corvair's. :lol: and the Virginia Slims cigarette commercial...."you've come a looong way baby!!!! :lol: There's a LOT of really cool old commercials,and i'm sure i haven't seen them all.Many are in B&W,but some,like the ~1968 Virginia Slims commercial are in color.
There are new commercials too,but most seem to be from the early-mid '60's.The Camel cigarette commercial(being in B&W)may be from the early days of the Vietnam war,but it could also be from the Korean war era too.I dunno.

The PQ isn't always the greatest,just so-so,but some of the movies are quite clear and sharp.On the weekends they change the format a bit and show diff.things but i'm still waiting to find out what they show.There is an ad promoting the weekend lineup but i forgot what it is. :?
Last edited by johninFL on Thu May 23, 2013 10:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
johninFL

Postby zm3sichi » Thu May 23, 2013 9:52 am

socantra wrote:That's called copyright, not censorship. As the official copyright owner, they can do what they choose with that content. Show it, not show it, restore it, not restore it. Your idea seems to be that content owners should be forced to make the material, which they own available to you in the form you want, just because you want it.

Absolutely untrue! I'm not forcing them to do anything. We (I and those who favor restoration/publication) are simply stating that the fact that they choose not to publish, for the reasons they've stated, is unfair, IOHO. As I'm sure the PC Police would equally claim "unfair" if they did publish. Yes, we would like them to restore and publish. But we aren't holding a gun to their heads, unlike the PC police, which seem to be. Talk about "forcing the content owners..." :roll:

socantra wrote:...I suppose you could stretch the idea of censorship to almost anything you want, but it sort of destroys the concept.

OK, then, how do you define "the concept?"
zm3sichi

Postby zm3sichi » Thu May 23, 2013 9:59 am

philsoft wrote:
johninFL wrote:This talk about the suppression of politically incorrect cartoons reminds me of "Song of the South",a Disney movie that will probably never be officially available....ever.But it can be bought on DVD in 'fairly' good condition(VHS quality) if one knows where to look.

It was actually released briefly on Laserdisc, which was superior to VHS quality. It is highly collectible in that format too.

ETA: I just looked, the laserdisc is quite rare and was only released in japan.

I actually have the original "Golden Age of Looney Tunes" complete LD set (four box sets, 6 discs each). The first box set contained a very politically incorrect WW2 short involving Bugs Bunny and the Japanese that was, subsequently, removed from later editions of that box set. I have the original box set with that short. But some of the shorts on those original LD sets have been "altered" for political correctness. Yosemitie Sam gets "censored" a little.
Last edited by zm3sichi on Thu May 23, 2013 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zm3sichi

Postby socantra » Thu May 23, 2013 10:01 am

I don't. The law does. You refer to the PC Police. Where is their office located?
If you need a legal definition, I suggest you consult an attorney, rather that engage in legal debate on an internet forum with other non-lawyers, but that is a popular pastime. :)
Please attempt to maintain a thin veneer of civility.
Remember, you are speaking to strangers on the internet,
not your own family at home.
socantra

Postby johninFL » Thu May 23, 2013 10:28 am

philsoft wrote:
johninFL wrote:This talk about the suppression of politically incorrect cartoons reminds me of "Song of the South",a Disney movie that will probably never be officially available....ever.But it can be bought on DVD in 'fairly' good condition(VHS quality) if one knows where to look.

It was actually released briefly on Laserdisc, which was superior to VHS quality. It is highly collectible in that format too.

ETA: I just looked, the laserdisc is quite rare and was only released in japan.

I just took a look on ebay and found 1 copy of the Japanese laserdisc that sold for $349.00,and another Japanese laserdisc copy of Song of the South that is currently bid up to $600.00. WOW...to much for my poor wallet!!! :( My VHS quality copy only cost ~$20.00
johninFL

Postby david0406 » Thu May 23, 2013 11:01 am

OK what is this channel? One movie playing and old commercials in between? Weird channel but I had to try after Gilgamesh's endorsement of it. :P . I don't even know what the name of the movie is.
Roku N-1000
Roku HD 2000C
Roku LT
Roku 2 XD
Roku 3
Roku 3
david0406

Postby dssonic » Thu May 23, 2013 11:38 am

When I briefly tested the channel the streaming quality was fairly poor (it was definitely the streaming, not the quality of the source movie) but I like the concept and will continue to check it out.
dssonic

Postby zm3sichi » Thu May 23, 2013 11:39 am

socantra wrote:I don't. The law does. You refer to the PC Police. Where is their office located?
If you need a legal definition, I suggest you consult an attorney, rather that engage in legal debate on an internet forum with other non-lawyers, but that is a popular pastime. :)

I don't need a legal definition. I wanted to know what "your" definition/stretching was... not the legal one. :)

As for "PC Police," I did not coin this term, but I'll gladly use it because, in this case, I believe "the shoe fits." In the context of this thread, I define "PC Police" as:

those who feel it is not appropriate to publish current/new content (or preserve/publish historical content) that they deem (to *their* standards / degree) "offensive" to current segments of the population (i.e. "ethnicities"), or that they deem (again to their standards / degree) as having a negative impact on the psyche of children (e.g. "Coyotes dropping anvils on Road Runners"), and by doing so, effectively denying that this content ever existed or reflected the societal norms/thinking of its time." This, as well as using the power/influence of their market share (political/financial etc.) to invoke their will on both the content owners and others who favor the content.

Note the term "their standards/degree," above. Point being, their standards aren't the same as mine and, IMHO, their's being significantly "hypersensitive" in re: these issues. Do I think that content publishers should just go out there and (seriously) ethnic bash? Or allow kids access to all kinds of violent/unsafe things? Of course not! But I think that we as a society are just getting a little too hypersensitive when it comes to things like this. Just a little common sense is all I ask. I am not so hyper that I can't laugh at ethnic stuff aimed in my direction, as long as I know it's good natured (witness Jeff Dunham) and not serious or specifically targeting me or mine. And, having gorged myself on WB cartoons all throughout my childhood, I can say with absolute certainty that I have never shoved dynamite in anyone's trousers or dropped an anvil on anyone! And I never will. I knew right from wrong, then (and the difference between "real" and "cartoon" violence), and I know it now. I would only ask the same of others and invoke a little common sense when it comes to this stuff. Furthermore, (and more germane to my OP in this thread), I think it's absolutely wrong to deny that part of our history which did not necessarily make those distinctions and included serious (not good natured) ethnic stuff and/or anvils, dynamite, etc. without any thought of consequences at the time. That was part of our history, and we should be constantly reminded of it, lest it happen again.

"That's all Folks!" :mrgreen:
zm3sichi

Postby zm3sichi » Thu May 23, 2013 12:23 pm

johninFL wrote:The thing i like most about the channel is all the really old commercials,most if not all i forgot about decades ago.Like the commercial about having to clear the lot of the 1960 Chevy Impala's to make room for the "NEW" '61 Corvair's. :lol: and the Virginia Slims cigarette commercial...."you've come a looong way baby!!!!

My favorite of that era was the "Let Hertz... put you in the driver's seat..." Where the actor floated down from the sky and into a rolling Chevy. :D

And in the "Virginia Slims" genre, let us not forget Gunilla Knudsen(or however you spell it) for Noxzema shaving cream... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Last edited by zm3sichi on Thu May 23, 2013 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zm3sichi

Postby philsoft » Thu May 23, 2013 12:26 pm

zm3sichi wrote:
johninFL wrote:The thing i like most about the channel is all the really old commercials,most if not all i forgot about decades ago.Like the commercial about having to clear the lot of the 1960 Chevy Impala's to make room for the "NEW" '61 Corvair's. :lol: and the Virginia Slims cigarette commercial...."you've come a looong way baby!!!!

My favorite of that era was the "Let Hertz... put you in the driver's seat..." Where the actor floated down from the sky and into a rolling Chevy. :D

And in the "Virginia Slims" genre, let us not forget Gunilla Knudsen for Noxema shaving cream... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I referenced Mr. Whipple recently, and my adult kids looked at me like I had two heads.
philsoft
** Valued Community Member **

Postby johninFL » Thu May 23, 2013 12:36 pm

dssonic wrote:When I briefly tested the channel the streaming quality was fairly poor (it was definitely the streaming, not the quality of the source movie) but I like the concept and will continue to check it out.

Last evening when i first checked out this channel the streaming quality didn't seem so bad but today i'm noticing some freezing issues,not bad ones but they are there.I think this channel has been for streaming to PC's only in the past,but with it coming to Roku they might be putting too much of a strain on their servers.I think they'll have to address some server issues to straighten this problem out. Just my guess.
johninFL

Postby ACraigo » Thu May 23, 2013 12:42 pm

david0406 wrote:OK what is this channel? One movie playing and old commercials in between? Weird channel but I had to try after Gilgamesh's endorsement of it. :P . I don't even know what the name of the movie is.

No one does. I went over to their web page at: http://www.cryptictv.net/ and get a 404 on the schedule page, but I registered and will check back often.
Tony
Roku 2 HD
www.fishmojo.com
www.youtube.com/user/TheFishMojo
ACraigo

Postby johninFL » Thu May 23, 2013 12:58 pm

zm3sichi wrote:

And in the "Virginia Slims" genre, let us not forget Gunilla Knudsen(or however you spell it) for Noxzema shaving cream... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Hey zm3 do you remember the original "Chock Full 'O Nuts coffee commercial where they sing "better coffee Rockefellers money can't buy"??? Well,the Rockefeller's got soooo pissed off that they had to change the words to "better coffee a millionaire's money can't buy" :lol: :lol: :lol:
johninFL

Postby zm3sichi » Thu May 23, 2013 1:22 pm

johninFL wrote:Hey zm3 do you remember the original "Chock Full 'O Nuts coffee commercial where they sing "better coffee Rockefellers money can't buy"??? Well,the Rockefeller's got soooo pissed off that they had to change the words to "better coffee a millionaire's money can't buy" :lol: :lol: :lol:

I do remember the "millionaire's..." wording, but the "Rockefellers" thing must have been before my time. And, of course, I remember the jingle.

ACraigo wrote:
david0406 wrote:OK what is this channel? One movie playing and old commercials in between? Weird channel but I had to try after Gilgamesh's endorsement of it. :P . I don't even know what the name of the movie is.

No one does. I went over to their web page at: http://www.cryptictv.net/ and get a 404 on the schedule page, but I registered and will check back often.

I can access it (I don't get a 404). But it does say I have to "login" to access the channel.

OK, as I type this, I just added it (the channel). And the first thing that greeted me was a "Marylin Mansonesque" video with the quotation "[Expletive] the Revolution..." It would seem to compliment the content I found on the website. More of this genre seem to be forthcoming. Very "Goth" it seems.

Sorry... Not my cuppa tea. But I will give the channel more time. Maybe I just hit it at the wrong time. I want to see all these vintage commercials. :)
zm3sichi

Postby ACraigo » Thu May 23, 2013 2:31 pm

The 404 is for the page under the Broadcast Schedule link on the front page.

The site works fine. Seems very new, but I can see they've made changes to front page layout since I've joined so perhaps it's a work in progress - which is always nice to see.
Tony
Roku 2 HD
www.fishmojo.com
www.youtube.com/user/TheFishMojo
ACraigo

PreviousNext

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion