Roku 2 XS very slow after update

Discussions about Roku products, channels, and Roku-related topics.

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Roku 2 XS very slow after update

Postby krishneil » Wed May 22, 2013 7:42 pm

hi

I am facing very slow response from roku 2 xs after the update to the new interface, even viewing channel store is slow with thumbnails not loading. It feels sluggish and is really getting frustrating. event factory resting doesn't work, i don't have much channels installed on it .. just netflix amazon and dishworld and just a few more apps. It was ok b4 but now dont feel like turning it on. Is there any update for roku 2 xs that i can install ? thanks.
krishneil

Re: Roku 2 XS very slow after update

Postby jeffrok » Wed May 22, 2013 7:49 pm

You might just have to reboot your box.. Pull power to it and plug it back in.. See if that helps any.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz
jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Postby krishneil » Wed May 22, 2013 7:55 pm

tried that , still doesnt help.
krishneil

Postby RokuShawnS » Wed May 22, 2013 8:33 pm

Wait about 5 minutes before plugging it back in.

I have an HD that has lower specs than the XS, and a 5-min reboot always makes it snappy.

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby Dick Drivel » Thu May 23, 2013 10:24 am

I always unplug mine overnight, but my updated XS remains perceptibly slower after the update nevertheless. Particularly when using the back arrow, it takes much longer now to return to the previous screen than it did before.
I'm just reporting what happens, so please no derogatory comments on my intentions.
Dick Drivel

Postby jeffrok » Thu May 23, 2013 10:34 am

The one slow thing I noticed on my LT with the new UI is going back "Home" from a channel.. Pauses a few seconds at just a colored background, and then you finally see the home screen. It's only a few seconds, so not a big deal, but it IS slower than before.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz
jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Postby Dick Drivel » Thu May 23, 2013 10:47 am

My LT has also since been updated. While there is a minimal slowing of certain processes, it's nothing liked the impact on the XS, which really is notable. But I suppose there is always a trade off with such things, so we have to accept the devil we know, to the one we don't...
Dick Drivel

Postby dssonic » Thu May 23, 2013 2:18 pm

Not sure if this will help, but my Roku 2 XS was sluggish immediately after the update, but when I used it a few hours later it was faster (and has remained fast ever since). It was almost like some underlying processing was still occurring after update appeared to be complete.
dssonic

Postby ashishd_24 » Sat May 25, 2013 9:46 pm

I had the same issue as well and was driving me nuts (Roku 2 XS). Someone on another website suggested to reset the remote as well as Roku (http://www.rokuplayer.org/comment_thread.php?id=544&num=&last_page=http://www.rokuplayer.org/) I tried it and it worked!!! I even went one step further and removed Netflix channel and added it back on. I mainly use Netflix and its back to how it was before.

Its a painful process setting it back up from scratch though. I really hope Roku does not push an update that forces me to do this again .... I was planning on buying another Roku, but having second thoughts now. Will wait for Google TV to mature a little :-)
ashishd_24

Postby krishneil » Sat May 25, 2013 11:21 pm

this seems to help, i turned off my Roku XS for 2 days, it made it a lot faster and more responsive. i guess it needed some rest. hope this helps others as well.
krishneil

Postby ashishd_24 » Sun May 26, 2013 9:23 pm

My issue is back!!!!! :( After doing all the things I wrote in my earlier post I was able to use Roku successfully for few hours last night. But today the issue has come back. I tried doing the same things again, but to no avail. This really sucks. I'm gonna try leaving it unplugged for 2 days as suggested by "krishneil"and see what happens. BTW, krishneil, is yours working just fine since you did that??
ashishd_24

Postby krishneil » Sun May 26, 2013 9:46 pm

hi ashishd_24 , so far my roku xs is working fine after turning it off for 2days . hope this also helps your roku problems as well.
krishneil

Postby fuzzyreets » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:24 am

Anyone find a cure for this? Anyway to rollback or reflash with old firmware? I'm not seeing any benefits to the update other than looking a little cleaner. Super slow now.
fuzzyreets

Postby dahacker » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:21 am

krishneil wrote:hi

I am facing very slow response from roku 2 xs after the update to the new interface, even viewing channel store is slow with thumbnails not loading. It feels sluggish and is really getting frustrating. event factory resting doesn't work, i don't have much channels installed on it .. just netflix amazon and dishworld and just a few more apps. It was ok b4 but now dont feel like turning it on. Is there any update for roku 2 xs that i can install ? thanks.

I'm right with you. The Roku is now a useless pile of buffering after the Roku software update. I have an entire collection of 1080p mp4 files that are ripped from Blu-rays at Handbrake video quality 20. I think that puts their bitrate around 5-6 Mbits/sec. I do Plex direct play and have a 100 Mbits/sec wired network all around. In fact, with the prior Roku software, my computer server could stream two movies at once to two separate Roku 2 XS's with absolutely no problem.

So yeah, I have TWO OF THESE NOW USELESS Roku 2 XS boxes since the "upgrade". I haven't had time to do significant testing on other channels, but Vevo is also a pile of crap now too. It does seem to work with a 4 Mbit Plex transcode. That is absolutely ridiculous. The box could easily support 20 Mbit transcodes with no problem on my network before the upgrade.

Absolutely the UI and remote response has gotten terrible after the upgrade too. They only have a couple of models of Rokus. Certainly the UI sluggishness alone on their prior generation's top model should have stopped them from updating to this pile of crap.

I'll be dumping this Roku crap on eBay if they don't fix and/or acknowledge this within a month.
dahacker

Postby bertdorf3 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:56 pm

No question, my Roku 2 is now SHOT to <I just took a Roku to the knee> after the update... a big waste of time and money now. What was once a device I raved about is now a piece of crap. What's up Roku, are you just turning your back on your loyal customers?

UPDATE: I have been in contact with Roku Customer Support, and they have been VERY HELPFUL> After a few tests (instructions given over e-mail) we made contact via phone. I was helped through to a secret screen where a few adjustments were made, and things improved, but then further tests (after not having solved the problem) narrowed the issue down, and I'm happy to say it appears Roku is solving the problem permanently.
Their response was prompt, concerned and professional. I no longer have a useless paperweight...

SECOND UPDATE: The problem randomly came and went even after these changes, but ROKU never gave up. Even after I did they called back and ULTIMATELY we made some setting changes to the U-Verse modem and FINALLY I am happy to say that I am flying on wireless without problems for the last month! 10/7/2013
Last edited by bertdorf3 on Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bertdorf3

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion