PBS and PBS Kids on XDS

Discussions about Roku products, channels, and Roku-related topics.

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

PBS and PBS Kids on XDS

Postby JohnnyRow » Sat May 25, 2013 7:43 pm

I have a Roku XDS (2100X). It appears I can't get the PBS or PBS Kids channels. Why not? I guess I accepted that Roku couldn't put NetFlix subtitles on 1st gen boxes, but I don't see why certain channels would not work? Is Roku keeping new channels from 1st gen boxes to try to get everybody to buy a new box?
JohnnyRow

Re: PBS and PBS Kids on XDS

Postby dssonic » Sat May 25, 2013 7:55 pm

Unfortunately, these channels (and many others) aren't available on older Rokus for technical reasons. It's not Roku's decision but the channel developer's.
dssonic

Postby stratcat96 » Sat May 25, 2013 7:56 pm

Two different versions of firmware between the 1st gen units and above. Its completely up to the channel creator on what their channel will be compatible with. They probably built the channel using feature sets that aren't available on the 1st gen boxes. On the same note, I have an iPod Touch that I can't install many apps on because its topped out at at ios 3.xx. that's the way it goes with tech, no conspiracy required
stratcat96
** Valued Community Member **

Postby JohnnyRow » Sat May 25, 2013 8:04 pm

Thanks for the replies. I didn't realize there were differences for channel creators for different models. I just got emails the channels were available. So I added them on-line, and it says I have the channels. But I went to my TV and couldn't see the channels. Eventually I realized the list of models at the end of the descriptions, after wasting a lot of time. It would be nice if Roku, knowing what box I have, didn't make it act as if the channels were added successfully when they really were not.
JohnnyRow

Postby mikebdoss » Sat May 25, 2013 8:14 pm

JohnnyRow wrote:Thanks for the replies. I didn't realize there were differences for channel creators for different models. I just got emails the channels were available. So I added them on-line, and it says I have the channels. But I went to my TV and couldn't see the channels. Eventually I realized the list of models at the end of the descriptions, after wasting a lot of time. It would be nice if Roku, knowing what box I have, didn't make it act as if the channels were added successfully when they really were not.

The channel list online is independent of the boxes. If you got a Roku 2 or 3 and linked it to your account, all your channels (including the PBS stations) would show up. But I agree it's annoying.
mikebdoss

Postby philsoft » Sat May 25, 2013 8:22 pm

mikebdoss wrote:The channel list online is independent of the boxes.

No, it really isn't. I tried adding a channel that was Roku 3 only and the website would not let me add it. It said something like. "You do not have a compatible device linked to your account", so the PBS channels should not be adding for people that have only Gen 1 boxes.
philsoft

Postby mikebdoss » Sat May 25, 2013 8:29 pm

philsoft wrote:

No, it really isn't. I tried adding a channel that was Roku 3 only and the website would not let me add it. It said something like. "You do not have a compatible device linked to your account", so the PBS channels should not be adding for people that have only Gen 1 boxes.

I stand corrected then. I had no idea.
mikebdoss

Postby Basil » Sat May 25, 2013 8:32 pm

mikebdoss wrote:
philsoft wrote:

I stand corrected then. I had no idea.

Yeah, me too. I wrote up some long, logical post explaining why that couldn't happen and doggone if Roku hasn't figured it out and made it happen. I had to quickly delete my post before I looked like a complete doofus.

Now, I know they used to let it happen -- at least, I'm pretty sure I ran into this a while back. And, it happened to OP. Not sure when they changed that. Maybe it's a recent change, or maybe they just screwed up. Or, maybe OP has another Roku box (a 2nd-generation box) tied to his account.
Basil
http://www.imao.us/
Roku 3, Roku LT
Apple TV, TiVo/OTA, FireTV Stick, Chromecast

Previous:
Roku HDMI Streaming Stick, Roku 1, Roku 2 XS, Roku 2 XD, Roku 2 HD, Roku XD|S, Roku HD
Simple.TV/OTA, FireTV
Basil

Postby TheEndless » Sat May 25, 2013 8:47 pm

philsoft wrote:

If it's limited to a specific model, that's possible, but PBS is limited to a minimum firmware (if they limited to Roku 2 only, it wouldn't be available on the LT or HD). It's easy for them to know what boxes are linked to an account, but I doubt they store details on what firmware is installed.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Twitch.tv (TWITCHTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless

Postby JohnnyRow » Sat May 25, 2013 8:54 pm

The Roku XDS (2100X) is the only Roku I've ever had, and the only one tied to my account. From Roku.com, I select channels, search channels, PBS, and it comes back with PBS and PBS Kids and it shows "installed" for each.
JohnnyRow

Postby Basil » Sun May 26, 2013 3:09 am

JohnnyRow wrote:The Roku XDS (2100X) is the only Roku I've ever had, and the only one tied to my account. From Roku.com, I select channels, search channels, PBS, and it comes back with PBS and PBS Kids and it shows "installed" for each.

That means that it is tied to your account. As previously stated, if you link a second-generation Roku to your account, it'll automatically install, since your account has the channel tied to it.

Either the method Roku uses to restrict channels to accounts is a new development, or it has/had an error in it's evaluation routine that allowed it to link. You may want to PM a moderator about it so they can do additional research on how it allowed the channel to get linked.
Basil
http://www.imao.us/
Roku 3, Roku LT
Apple TV, TiVo/OTA, FireTV Stick, Chromecast

Previous:
Roku HDMI Streaming Stick, Roku 1, Roku 2 XS, Roku 2 XD, Roku 2 HD, Roku XD|S, Roku HD
Simple.TV/OTA, FireTV
Basil

Postby jtbxps » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:43 pm

"Two different versions of firmware between the 1st gen units and above. Its completely up to the channel creator on what their channel will be compatible with. They probably built the channel using feature sets that aren't available on the 1st gen boxes. On the same note, I have an iPod Touch that I can't install many apps on because its topped out at at ios 3.xx. that's the way it goes with tech, no conspiracy required"

Still, regardless of who's responsible, the reality is that I purchased a top-of-the-line model (XDS, streaming 1080) 2.5 years ago - and now it doesn't support some newer channels (PBS, PBS Kids, ESPN). A selling point of the device, which Roku always touted in advertising and PR, is its expandability and the idea that new content channels are being developed for the box.
I think two and half years little early to be retiring the hardware and forcing a new purchase.
jtbxps

Postby mikebdoss » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:04 pm

jtbxps wrote:"Two different versions of firmware between the 1st gen units and above. Its completely up to the channel creator on what their channel will be compatible with. They probably built the channel using feature sets that aren't available on the 1st gen boxes. On the same note, I have an iPod Touch that I can't install many apps on because its topped out at at ios 3.xx. that's the way it goes with tech, no conspiracy required"

Still, regardless of who's responsible, the reality is that I purchased a top-of-the-line model (XDS, streaming 1080) 2.5 years ago - and now it doesn't support some newer channels (PBS, PBS Kids, ESPN). A selling point of the device, which Roku always touted in advertising and PR, is its expandability and the idea that new content channels are being developed for the box.
I think two and half years little early to be retiring the hardware and forcing a new purchase.

No one is forcing you to buy anything new or is retiring your box. But older boxes don't support the same features that newer boxes support, and some developers are choosing to go with features that older boxes can't support. Let THEM know you're angry - Roku still allows/encourages the development of channels that work on all boxes.
mikebdoss

Postby Gilgamesh » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:22 pm

jtbxps wrote:Still, regardless of who's responsible, the reality is that I purchased a top-of-the-line model (XDS, streaming 1080) 2.5 years ago - and now it doesn't support some newer channels (PBS, PBS Kids, ESPN). A selling point of the device, which Roku always touted in advertising and PR, is its expandability and the idea that new content channels are being developed for the box.

That is just the way current streaming consumer products are. The fact that you got 2.5 years out of your around $100.00 purchase is actually pretty good and it still plays everything it played at the time you bought it (with the exception of the channels that have gone away) is also quite good.

You have lost nothing. Your Roku is functioning just as well, and probably better, than it was when you bought it. No consumer product anywhere close to the price of the Roku can assure that there will not be hardware advancements in future products that will render programs written for that new hardware incompatible with the old hardware.

The developer makes the decision to support or not support the older hardware and if they choose to not support the old stuff then the consumer must decide if the content is important enough to warrant the price of the new hardware.

I do not see that anyone that has a product that cost $100.00 new, works fine, supports all the content that it supported when released, has no ongoing costs and supports most of the new content produced has any reason to complain. And, if they want to view the few things that the old hardware will not support they can simply spend less than $100.00 again and all is well.
Gilgamesh

Postby tmcguire » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:56 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:
jtbxps wrote:That is just the way current streaming consumer products are. The fact that you got 2.5 years out of your around $100.00 purchase is actually pretty good and it still plays everything it played at the time you bought it (with the exception of the channels that have gone away) is also quite good.

What balderdash! To paraphrase: Just think how lucky you are! WOW! If you bought a car 2.5 years ago, it might still be running perfectly (depending on maintenance), but a "streaming consumer product"? Are you out of your mind?
tmcguire

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion