TBS/TNT live stream

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

TBS/TNT live stream

Postby tobarefeet » Wed May 29, 2013 12:14 pm

Last week TBS/TNT announced they are going to offer a live stream onine. What are the chances they would build Roku channels? That would be killer and perhaps get others to consider the same.
tobarefeet

Re: TBS/TNT live stream

Postby Basil » Wed May 29, 2013 12:30 pm

tobarefeet wrote:Last week TBS/TNT announced they are going to offer a live stream onine. What are the chances they would build Roku channels? That would be killer and perhaps get others to consider the same.

Not sure they'd do that. Currently (okay, as of late 2012) TNT was getting $1.18 per cable subscriber, according to SmartMoney, making it the third-most expensive cable service. If a Roku channel were to cut the number of cable subscribers, they'd have to find a way to monitize a Roku (or Apple TV) channel to off-set it. Or, more than off-set it, because of the cost in maintaining a new stream.
Basil
http://www.basilsblog.com/
http://www.imao.us/
Roku 3, Roku HDMI Streaming Stick, Roku LT; previous Roku 2 XS, Roku 2 XD, Roku 2 HD, Roku XD|S, Roku HD
Also running Apple TV, TiVo/OTA, Simple.TV/OTA, Chromecast, Amazon Fire TV
Basil
** Valued Community Member **

Postby dssonic » Wed May 29, 2013 12:37 pm

Yeah, if they made a Roku channel they would most likely require a cable subscription to access it (like HBO Go does).
dssonic

Postby johninFL » Wed May 29, 2013 12:51 pm

Read an article linked to a post at the TCM message Boards(hot topics sub forum)last evening that TCM is also holding "talks" with the cable/sat. cos.about the possibility of starting a streaming service w/o breaking their contractual agreements with their carriers.I wouldn't hold my breath for them coming to Roku anytime soon,but i'm really happy to find out that TCM is FINALLY trying to start some kind of online service-it's about time,they're one of the Very Best channels on tv. My guess is that they'll end up tying it to an existing cable/sat.account(as usual).
I'd like to see them tie their service to an existing ISP instead,but the chances of that happening are slim to none,although there was a certain HBO service(can't remember which one) that was thinking of doing that very thing,but i never heard anything more about it.
johninFL

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion