Roku 1100 HD rendered obsolete by all these updates?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Roku 1100 HD rendered obsolete by all these updates?

Postby msmisfit » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:33 am

When I can get into my Roku 1100 it works fine, but it seems every time Roku makes major changes to the Channel Store [or any updates?] like last night... my box locks on the Channel Store icon, and will go nowhere else. :(

This is not a new problem, but the emergency reboot key presses aren't working this time, so I just thought I would ask, if this means I have to upgrade to a new box with advertising? :(
Roku HD, N1100 / Netgear 3800 Router / Moto SB 6121 Modem / Cable ISP - 30M
msmisfit

Re: Roku 1100 HD rendered obsolete by all these updates?

Postby Basil » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:43 am

msmisfit wrote:When I can get into my Roku 1100 it works fine, but it seems every time Roku makes major changes to the Channel Store [or any updates?] like last night... my box locks on the Channel Store icon, and will go nowhere else. :(

This is not a new problem, but the emergency reboot key presses aren't working this time, so I just thought I would ask, if this means I have to upgrade to a new box with advertising? :(

The box is 3-4 years old, depending on when you got it. It could be giving up the ghost. Which would be a shame.

And what do you mean "with advertising?" You talking about the banner on the right in the "My Channels" screen on the 5.x UI? The old UI had advertising, too. Look at that banner on the bottom. Yep, same thing, just a different shape.
Basil
http://www.basilsblog.com/
http://www.imao.us/
Roku 3, Roku 1, Roku LT; previous Roku HDMI Streaming Stick, Roku 2 XS, Roku 2 XD, Roku 2 HD, Roku XD|S, Roku HD
Also running Apple TV, TiVo/OTA, Simple.TV/OTA, Chromecast, Amazon Fire TV
Basil
** Valued Community Member **

Postby socantra » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:04 pm

msmisfit wrote:When I can get into my Roku 1100 it works fine, but it seems every time Roku makes major changes to the Channel Store [or any updates?] like last night... my box locks on the Channel Store icon, and will go nowhere else. :(

Roku 1 hasn't had an update or upgrade in a long time and I don't think there have been any major changes to the channel store lately. All the Rokus have advertising.

Channel store and Roku servers have occasional glitches. Try it again today. If its hung up on a screen unplug it for a minute or two to reboot it and then try it again. :)
Please attempt to maintain a thin veneer of civility.
Remember, you are speaking to strangers on the internet,
not your own family at home.
socantra

Postby msmisfit » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:05 pm

I don't have any advertising on mine, and the comment was just the result of what I've read here. I haven't seen what's on the new boxes. :)

I think the box is fine, because it is not overworked [also vented]... and I'm happy to say, after leaving it unplugged for an hour and trying the reboot key presses again... I finally got out of the Channel Store. :) So all is well...
msmisfit

Postby philsoft » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:08 pm

msmisfit wrote:I don't have any advertising on mine...

You are saying that you do not have a banner ad on the bottom of the main screen? And no one has blocked the ad server at the router? Because this would be highly unlikely, and a total fluke.
philsoft

Postby Gilgamesh » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:12 pm

There has not been an update to the Roku 1 line in quite some time and there was no update "Last Night." I have an N1000 (an even earlier model) and it is rock solid in all its operations.

The "lock up" symptoms you describe have, in the past, often been traced to a failing power supply. You can get a power supply from Roku at http://www.roku.com/accessories#2 get the Roku 2 power supply as it will work fine with your R1. They are only $9.99 and as a rough guess a new power supply has about a 60/40 chance of mitigating the problems you are seeing.

Of course you can get a new R2 or R3 to replace your R1 and thereby get a new interface, new features and a new set of problems.
Gilgamesh

Postby Basil » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:22 pm

msmisfit wrote:I don't have any advertising on mine ...

You don't have something like this, what I've highlighted with the arrow?
'Cause I always did.
Basil
Roku 3, Roku 1, Roku LT; previous Roku HDMI Streaming Stick, Roku 2 XS, Roku 2 XD, Roku 2 HD, Roku XD|S, Roku HD
Basil

Postby kc8pql » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:28 pm

^ Not to mention the Spotlight Channel
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql

Postby stratcat96 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:36 pm

and the R3's banner, although in a different spot, just advertises channels/shows/games that are available on the box. It's not like its an advert for Crest Whitestrips or lawyers who will tackle a Mesothelioma lawsuit..
stratcat96

Postby trekkeriii » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:58 pm

To the OP, have you ever replaced your Power Adapter? I remember the old N1100 and N1000 had Power Adapters that liked to fail after so much usage, I had to replace my old N1000's adapter. The Roku 2 adapter in Roku's Accessories page will work for you. Failing power adapters would cause lockups and various other unusual behavior.

Gilgamesh wrote:There has not been an update to the Roku 1 line in quite some time and there was no update "Last Night." I have an N1000 (an even earlier model) and it is rock solid in all its operations.

The "lock up" symptoms you describe have, in the past, often been traced to a failing power supply. You can get a power supply from Roku at http://www.roku.com/accessories#2 get the Roku 2 power supply as it will work fine with your R1. They are only $9.99 and as a rough guess a new power supply has about a 60/40 chance of mitigating the problems you are seeing.

Of course you can get a new R2 or R3 to replace your R1 and thereby get a new interface, new features and a new set of problems.

^^ OOPS, Gil already beat me to this..
Roku2 XS, 42" LCD, Ethernet (5.5 b320)
Roku Stick HDMI, 32" LCD, WiFi (5.5 b2027)
Roku N1000, 25" CRT, Ethernet (3.1)
Router - Linksys WRT54G2
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
trekkeriii

Postby msmisfit » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:20 pm

Thanks to you all for your responses. I should clarify by "updates" I simply meant all the "channel" additions/updates, which I assumed would be available to all boxes, or most of them. For whatever reason, the lockup is ALWAYS on the Channel Store [which I rarely ever visit]. That, and all the screens and "flopping around" it does before it finally delivers a connection are why I am convinced it is a software problem. I've read about other people's power supply problems and this doesn't seem to be the problem here. I have not used this box as much as most people would, partly because of the "reset" game I have to go through periodically. It's practically new, as far as "use" goes.

It was out again yesterday, and after 8-10 attempts at rebooting the power and using the reset procedure, I finally got it to switch from the Channel Store around 6pm today. :) It always works fine once started, and usually lasts for a week or so, or until the next channel update. ;)

As for the "advertising" on the 1100... everyone was correct! I do have a banner which I've never paid any attention to before. Mea culpa! When I checked what it said, it was for MLB. :)
msmisfit

Postby trekkeriii » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:28 pm

msmisfit wrote:Thanks to you all for your responses. I should clarify by "updates" I simply meant all the "channel" additions/updates, which I assumed would be available to all boxes, or most of them. For whatever reason, the lockup is ALWAYS on the Channel Store [which I rarely ever visit]. That, and all the screens and "flopping around" it does before it finally delivers a connection are why I am convinced it is a software problem. I've read about other people's power supply problems and this doesn't seem to be the problem here. I have not used this box as much as most people would, partly because of the "reset" game I have to go through periodically. It's practically new, as far as "use" goes.

It was out again yesterday, and after 8-10 attempts at rebooting the power and using the reset procedure, I finally got it to switch from the Channel Store around 6pm today. :) It always works fine once started, and usually lasts for a week or so, or until the next channel update. ;)

As for the "advertising" on the 1100... everyone was correct! I do have a banner which I've never paid any attention to before. Mea culpa! When I checked what it said, it was for MLB. :)

I have an N1000, and don't have the problems you describe, except, I did when I did have a bad power supply, so I would not rule that out. It could be that you have too many channels installed, too. I know that there's a limit to the Gen 1 Rokus can handle.
Roku2 XS, 42" LCD, Ethernet (5.5 b320)
Roku Stick HDMI, 32" LCD, WiFi (5.5 b2027)
Roku N1000, 25" CRT, Ethernet (3.1)
Router - Linksys WRT54G2
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
trekkeriii

Postby Basil » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:36 pm

msmisfit wrote:Thanks to you all for your responses. I should clarify by "updates" I simply meant all the "channel" additions/updates, which I assumed would be available to all boxes, or most of them. For whatever reason, the lockup is ALWAYS on the Channel Store [which I rarely ever visit]. That, and all the screens and "flopping around" it does before it finally delivers a connection are why I am convinced it is a software problem. I've read about other people's power supply problems and this doesn't seem to be the problem here. I have not used this box as much as most people would, partly because of the "reset" game I have to go through periodically. It's practically new, as far as "use" goes.

Even though you haven't used your Roku HD (N1100) that much, it's still anywhere from 33-43 months old (it was sold from November 2009-September 2010). Even not using it, technology still passes it by.

Apart from that, had it always acted this way? Or did it only begin recently?

If you bought your HD new, then you've had a Roku longer than I have; I got my first Roku in late 2010. I've passed those first-generation models along to other family members who use them regularly (brother-in-law) to semi-regularly (son). They still work, so that generation of units can last a while. I'd hate that yours has now reached the end of it's life.

Anyway, let's focus on the lockup. You're going to the Channel Store, I assume, to look for new channels? Updates will happen on a daily basis without going there, in case that's the reason, but I suspect you already know that.

When you say "reset" do you truly mean you held the button down (unit still plugged in) for over 30 seconds? Then, when it booted, you had to re-link it to your account? Or are you talking about simple reboot/turn-off-and-back-on kind of thing?
Basil
Basil

Postby msmisfit » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:45 pm

No... I don't remember going to the Channel Store, but once to add Crackle; that's just the icon/location selected by Roku when it starts up... and it is locked. That's why I've assumed my problem has to do with their channel changes and the configuration of my box. :)

As for having too many channels, Crackle is all that I have added to what was setup when I got it. I think there may be six channels. What would be too many? :)
msmisfit

Postby Basil » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:48 pm

msmisfit wrote:No... I don't remember going to the Channel Store, but once to add Crackle; that's just the icon/location selected by Roku when it starts up... and it is locked. That's why I've assumed my problem has to do with their channel changes and the configuration of my box. :)

As for having too many channels, Crackle is all that I have added to what was setup when I got it. I think there may be six channels. What would be too many? :)

Wait a second. Why is it always on the Channel Store? It should be on whatever you left it on. And, if you hit Home from within a channel, it should go to the Main Menu, with that particular channel highlighted. Are you shutting the Roku down when you're done watching it? If so, why?
Basil
Basil

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion