Why is my Roku 3 broadcasting?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Why is my Roku 3 broadcasting?

Postby Turbojoe » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:49 pm

I fired up my Nexus 7 tablet this morning to let it do some updating as I haven't used it for a week or two. When my daughter was here over the weekend and she signed in to my router with the new name and password she said something about seeing "Direct Roku" in the list of local networks. I didn't think twice about it thinking maybe a neighbor had gotten a new Roku and named his network that way. Well when I fired up the Nexus 7 this morning I checked the local networks and saw "DIRECT-Roku-387" in the list and the signal was as strong as MY network. It also shows WPA2 PSK security. The Roku 3 is in the living room and hadn't been used since early Sunday. The light on the front panel was NOT on. My router also gets shutdown every night when I go to bed. Curious, I unplugged power from my Roku 3. The signal went away immediately confirming that it's MY Roku 3 that is broadcasting. This is weird because the Roku 2 XD in the bedroom doesn't show up at all. Not sure if I should worry about this. I tried logging in to the Roku 3 using my normal network login and it didn't work. Don't have a clue what the login to the Roku 3 might be. I guess that's a good thing as others should have a hard time breaking in to it too. I just don't like having it shown out there because it just becomes a tempting target for a hacker.

Am I just being paranoid? It's strange how only the Roku 3 shows up but the Roku 2 doesn't and they're both on the very same network.

Joe
The nonsensical ravings of a lunatic mind.....
Turbojoe

Re: Why is my Roku 3 broadcasting?

Postby dboff01 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:52 pm

The Roku 3 uses wi-fi direct to communicate with the remote, which basically establishes a private network between the unit and the remote. As such, it will be visible in wi-fi network scans.

The Roku 2 used blutooth for remote communication.
dboff01

Postby Gilgamesh » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:55 pm

That is the WiFi-direct that the remote uses. It is not a vulnerability as in there is no way for an intrude to use that connection to connect to anything.

You are being paranoid.
Gilgamesh

Postby Turbojoe » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:05 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:You are being paranoid.

LOL! Thanks for the blindingly fast responses guys. It all makes sense now. I'll cancel the appointment with the shrink now. Wait! Maybe I should go ahead and keep it............ :wink:

Joe
The nonsensical ravings of a lunatic mind.....
Turbojoe

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion