New Roku 3, Remote not pairing

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

New Roku 3, Remote not pairing

Postby Knersis » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:43 am

:shock: Hi,

Just received my new Roku 3, well about 2 hours ago, and still can't get the remote to pair.

I have not been able to get past the select your language screen, as the remote is not pairing so there is no further information beyond this point required.

The following has been tried as from other forum posts and the internet.

1. Press pairing button on remote, tried 3,5 and even 30 seconds of holding it in.
2. Factory reset the device, tried this several times too. As it's just come from the factory don't see the point of this, but have tried this option.
3. I have tried new batteries in the event the "new" ones in the box are old.
4. I have changed the wifi channel 9, who knows, but I tried that.
5. There are no other remotes in the room.
6. The device is near the TV, someone said move it away from the TV as some TV's cause interference. Not sure how that is going to work, as the device requires a TV. None the less I tried this too.
7. Make a sacrifice in the back yard, under the tree. This didn't work either, but I did manage to BBQ the goat and have something to eat now. Sorry, had to add this in as there has been some strange ideas out there to fix this problem.

When I depress the pairing button on the remote, the green light starts to flash, the Roku device then displays a remote with a wifi signal icon and rotating circle on screen. After a couple of seconds the lights stops flashing and the display changes back to please select a language. That's about what I got.

S/N: 1GG34S008649
Model#: 4200R
If you need more details, let me know.

If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated, I'll even share some of the BBQ'd goat with you :-)
Knersis

Re: New Roku 3, Remote not pairing

Postby Basil » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:03 am

Did you follow the steps in the Roku 3 Quick Start Guide EXACTLY. Sorry for the all-caps, but, yeah, I want to really really emphasize that.

If not, or if you want to try again, do this:

Put your router back on Automatic (or, failing that, 1, 6, or 11; one of which it will probably pick anyway).

If you mislaid your Quick Start Guide, you can download a copy from the Roku Products Page.

Take the batteries out of your Roku remote. I'm gonna suggest you get brand new batteries, as you did in your earlier steps.

Turn your TV off. Step 3 says to turn your TV on, so it needs to be off before you start.

Do a factory reset. You can, with the Roku plugged in, you can hold the reset button continuously for more than 30 seconds.

After the factory reset, follow the steps in the Quick Start Guide exactly as written and in the order it's written. Read it all first, to get the lay of the land. For example, the "turn the TV on" thing can't be done unless the TV is off first (see above). After you've reviewed all the instructions and ensured you can follow them in the order they are presented, starting with Step 1, follow those instructions.

Seems kinda silly, but I once had an issue with a Roku (it was a Roku 3) and, though I've done more than a dozen Roku setups, doing it this way resolved it. Whatever little thing I was missing or doing wrong wasn't obvious to me before or after the fact, but this solved it.
Basil
http://www.basilsblog.com/
http://www.imao.us/
Roku 3, Roku HDMI Streaming Stick, Roku LT; previous Roku 2 XS, Roku 2 XD, Roku 2 HD, Roku XD|S, Roku HD
Also running Apple TV, TiVo/OTA, Simple.TV/OTA, Chromecast, Amazon Fire TV
Basil
** Valued Community Member **

Postby Knersis » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:37 am

Don't worry about the caps, I just need to get it working, so caps away.

I have a quick question regarding doing the factory reset. Is there some indication as to if it has successfully done a factory reset?

This is a completely new Roku 3, out the box. So I have no idea if there is an indication of it having done a factory reset.

Steps I just followed:

1. Press reset button for 30 seconds, possibly longer, my finger started to pain, and I reached One thousand and thirty, so I presume factory reset had been achieved.
2. I powered off the tv and disconnected Roku.
3. Removed batteries from remote.
4. Disconnected all cables from Roku.

I then followed the Quick Start guide.

1. Connect HDMI cable(not included) to the Roku player and the other end to the TV.
2. Turned the remote over and inserted new batteries.
3. Powered up the Roku
4. Turned the TV back on.

By this time the Please select Language screen is being displayed again, but the remote is still not doing anything when I press any of the buttons. I presume on this screen I would be using the "OK" button to select the language I would like, being English, it's defaulted to that location, but I cannot select it as the remote is not responding.

I have tried this three times now, I have tried to press the pairing on the remote too.

All I get is the purple background, Roku at the top and select your language, but it's no use as the remote does not do anything.

When I press the pairing button on the remote, the green light will start to flash. The Roku will display a remote on screen, with a wifi icon and a rotating circle(please wait I presume).
After a couple of seconds the remotes green light will stop flashing, and the screen will return to select your language. Nothing much else to report except I'm running out of ideas.

Wayne
Knersis

Postby RickRansom » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:47 am

This is what support emailed me back when I had a similar [the same!?] issue. It worked for me so....
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Unplug the power supply from your Roku 3 player.
2. Press and hold the A and B button on the Roku 3 remote and then press
the pairing button on the back while still holding down the A and B buttons.
- The remote LED should flash , release the buttons.
- You should see 3 more LED flashes. This will clear the remote.
3. Reconnect the power supply to the Roku 3 player.
4. Put the remote into pairing mode by pressing the pair button on the back.
5. You will see the pairing popup message and your player should pair with the remote.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Retired
RickRansom

Postby RokuShawnS » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:55 am

If the above doesn't work (it should), contact CS to generate a ticket number. Write it down. CS will likely send you a replacement remote if they can't get it to work (and please, go through all their trouble-shooting steps again, even though you've done them ... they need the documentation).

After all that, PM me your ticket number (request one if they don't explicitly give you one) along with your contact information if they still can't get it to work. I can follow-up with CS managers if I have that ticket number if your issue isn't solved.

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby Knersis » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:46 pm

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the assistance so far, it's been most helpful in trying to resolve this. Rick, thanks for that try, I tried that and it didn't work. Shortly after you posted that I received an email from CS with exactly the same set of steps.

I'll be emailed them back informing them that it didn't work either.

Shawn, I'll email them back at CS and see what they say, hopefully they will try and resolve the problem with a new remote. I've tried everything now, and no go on anything.

The only left to factory reset would be myself, I think the wife has been wanting to do that to me for some time now. Also hasn't helped :D

I'll keep you posted as to what they come up with.

Wayne
Knersis

Postby RickRansom » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:00 am

Before you do the reset [if you haven't done that yet], you can use a compatible Android/iOS device as a Roku remote. If those still don't work, a new remote would be the only way out of this. Unless you have a universal remote that's pre-programmed to work with your box. Good luck!
Retired
RickRansom

Postby Manganeez » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:04 am

To help anyone else who might run across this thread: I had exactly the same behavior described by the OP. After half an hour of failed pairing, what worked for me was to move the Roku 3 out from behind some of the other electronics in my setup (I'd had it behind since no line-of-sight is needed).
Manganeez

Postby Trac » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:55 pm

I've returned mine to Newegg for a replacement. *Edit: When I went through the RMA process, Newegg wanted me to "purchase" the RMA address label for $12. Forget It.
I tried everything and nothing worked.

I was able to setup the Roku3 box with an older remote and it worked great but no joy with remote.
I tried everything in this thread in addition to turning off all antennas to wifi devices in use.
Router was set to Auto b/g/n
PC-All security settings OFF
Network all sharing ON and No Password protection.
------------------
1-Factory reset Roku3
2-Disconnected Roku from power cable and HDMI
3-Turned off TV and disconnected HDMI cable
4-Removed batteries from remote and fetched a new pair.
5-Connected HDMI to Roku
6-Connected HDMI to TV
7-Added new batteries to Remote *Negative side first* LEDs on front were blinking together.
8-Connected power cable to Roku - Led on Roku blinked, turned on TV and screen appeared with English highlighted.
9-Remote still blinking then LEDs blinked alternately.
10-When LEDs on remote stopped blinking, tried remote
No Joy :(

Hopefully replacement will work.
Last edited by Trac on Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Trac

Postby Knersis » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:02 pm

I eventually asked for a replacement remote as whatever I tried failed to get them to pair.

I would love to know what the problem is with these remotes, and I am assuming it all has something to do with the method of connection, wifi. Stick to BT I reckon, it's been around for a long time, and has never let me down before.

Oh yes, when I received my new remote and paired it, it worked first time. I also have a decent paperweight now, or toy for my dog to play with. :shock:
Knersis

Postby Rhuel » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:54 am

I had issues pairing my remote, but followed some of the instructions here and got it to pair. After a few days the remote somehow unpaired and I was unable to get it to pair. Going back to Newegg.com for a replacement.

I had already submitted the RMA by time Roku responded to my support request, but they added a bit of info about updating the remote's software. I hadn't seen that in any of the earlier posts. See below for CS's full reply with the last section instructing on how to update the remote software.

We are sorry to hear that you've had a hard time setting up your Roku 3 player
using the included remote. The Roku 3 player comes with a special "WiFi Direct" remote
which requires it to be paired to the main unit for it to be functional.

Please try out these steps first and let us know if the remote now works.
1. From the home screen [main menu], navigate to Settings > Remote pairing.
2. Follow the instructions shown on your TV screen.
3. Test if you can now control your Roku 3 player using the Roku 3 remote.

In case the steps above did not work, here's an alternative method:
1. Unplug the power supply from your Roku 3 player.
2. Press and hold the A and B button on the Roku 3 remote and then press
the pairing button on the back while still holding down the A and B buttons.
- The remote LED should flash , release the buttons.
- You should see 3 more LED flashes. This will clear the remote.
3. Reconnect the power supply to the Roku 3 player.
4. Put the remote into pairing mode by pressing the pair button on the back.
5. You will see the pairing popup message and your player should pair with the remote.

If steps above fails to get the remote to work, you may try these steps (final
troubleshooting):

1. Unplug the Roku player and remove the batteries from the remote.
2. Plug in the player back to the power cable and press the reset button on the back
of the Roku player for 60 seconds. (Just to set your expectations, a reset will
restore the Roku player back to its factory defaults and will require reinstallation).
3. Put the batteries back on the remote
4. kindly wait for a few seconds for the Roku player to boot back to the setup screen and
check if the remote responds.
If the remote fails to respond, kindly push and hold the pairing button (black button
on the back of the Roku remote) for 5 seconds to pair it.

Once you get the remote response, we may need to do a software update on the Roku remote control.

First, you need to park the Roku player at the main menu. Make sure that the headphones
are unplugged from the Roku remote.

Then, from the remote, you need to hit the following buttons in a rapid successive manner:
- Home x5
- Fast forward
- Play
- Rewind
- Play
- Fast forward

You should then be taken to the Secret screen. From that page, select "WiFi remote menu"
then go to "Remote OTA update" and select "Latest".

Allow it to update the software on the remote and give it a try once it's done.
Rhuel

Postby mkraemer » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:34 pm

I had the same issue. Bought a brand new Roku and the remote would not pair out of the box and the Roku was stuck at the "Choose your Language" screen. I exchanged the Roku for a new one the next day and the same issue occurred. I decided to take the Roku to work and hand it off to one of the younger techies to see if he could figure out what the issue was. As soon as he turned it on the remote paired and we blazed right on through the setup with no issues.

This tells me that the issue was never the Roku and I probably have some sort of interference going on at home (most likely Bluetooth). I have:
1- Wi-Fi router upstairs,
1- Wi-Fi access point downstairs,
1-ipad with wi-fi and bluetooth enabled,
1-ipad keyboard with bluetooth enabled,
1- Apple TV with Wi-Fi and Bluetooth enabled
1 - ipod with wi-fi,
1- iphone with wi-fi and bluetooth enabled,
1- KindleFire with wi-fi,
1- Nabi with wi-fi,
1- LG wi-fi BluRay player,
1- Nintendo Wii with wi-fi
2- cell phones with Wi-Fi and Bluetooth enabled,
1- Wi-Fi baby monitor,
1- laptop with Wi-Fi enabled and

The channels are separated out over my main network and two guest networks using Wi-Fi g, n and AC so the channels are not competing with each other. My guess is that one of my devices with Bluetooth is blasting out a signal strong enough to knock down the Roku remote pairing. If I figure it out I will try to remember to post my solution here with the hope that it will help someone else.
mkraemer

Postby MichelZ » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:28 pm

Any luck with that?
MichelZ

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion