VUDU, Subtitles

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

VUDU, Subtitles

Postby klip » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:00 pm

Hello.
Can it really be true, that there is no subtitles, when you pay 20$ for a movie. I am aware of the closed caption option.
Am I missing anything?
Regards from Denmark!
Nikolaj
klip

Re: VUDU, Subtitles

Postby Basil » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:20 pm

klip wrote:Hello.
Can it really be true, that there is no subtitles, when you pay 20$ for a movie. I am aware of the closed caption option.
Am I missing anything?
Regards from Denmark!
Nikolaj

What does VUDU say? They own the content.
Basil
http://www.basilsblog.com/
http://www.imao.us/
Roku 3, Roku HDMI Streaming Stick, Roku LT; previous Roku 2 XS, Roku 2 XD, Roku 2 HD, Roku XD|S, Roku HD
Also running Apple TV, TiVo/OTA, Simple.TV/OTA, Chromecast, Amazon Fire TV
Basil
** Valued Community Member **

Postby RickRansom » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:50 pm

VUDU now offers closed captioning on http://www.vudu.com, Sony Playstation 3 and Apple iOS devices. We will be supporting other devices, such as VUDU enabled Blu-Ray players and TVs, very soon.

Source: GoogleCache
Retired
RickRansom

Postby trekkeriii » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:53 pm

klip wrote:Hello.
Am I missing anything?
Regards from Denmark!
Nikolaj

Keep in mind, Denmark is not a supported area where Roku is sold, so Vudu could have left it out of the Roku Channel because of that fact. In fact Vudu itself isn't even supported in Denmark, so there's your explanation.
Roku2 XS, 42" LCD, Ethernet (5.5 b320)
Roku Stick HDMI, 32" LCD, WiFi (5.5 b2027)
Roku N1000, 25" CRT, Ethernet (3.1)
Router - Linksys WRT54G2
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
trekkeriii

Postby jeffrok » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:00 pm

$20 a movie? I thought it was like $4 or $5..
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz
jeffrok

Postby trekkeriii » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:04 pm

jeffrok wrote:$20 a movie? I thought it was like $4 or $5..

That's if you purchase it full price, I think it's more like $18, but he might be paying a fee since he is overseas. Rentals and Disc to Digitals are cheaper.
Roku2 XS, 42" LCD, Ethernet (5.5 b320)
Roku Stick HDMI, 32" LCD, WiFi (5.5 b2027)
Roku N1000, 25" CRT, Ethernet (3.1)
Router - Linksys WRT54G2
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
trekkeriii

Postby jeffrok » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:56 pm

I'd never ( in these economic times) pay that for a digital copy even if it was "for keeps"..
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz
jeffrok

Postby klip » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:07 pm

Thanks for response.
Sure, 20$ is for new releases in 1080p.
I did some research last night. And as one of you postet, there is some issues, unless it running on atv, or ps3. I have asked VUDU, still waiting for reply
klip

Postby beq » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:34 pm

As the OP noted, VUDU on the Roku has for a loong time displayed the most complete closed captioning options of any channel I've ever seen (My VUDU -> Info & Settings -> Closed Captions Settings).

There's not just a simple on/off toggle. You can select the CC font face/style/color/size as well as background color. Even displays a sample text preview.

Yet in all this time, how come there's actually no CC yet?

VUDU (like any other Brightscript dev) had custom-made the channel just for the Roku, so it's not like the CC menu is just a leftover from a common codebase used for the VUDU app on other platforms?
beq

Postby mikeyts » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:57 am

Captions/subtitles work fine in the Roku VUDU player, there just aren't very many titles which feature them. Select something and, if it has cc/subtitles, under the title line of its menu it will say "Subtitles: English"; I presume that that can be other languages or a list of languages. Looking at "New Rentals", none of the first 10 have them, but on the third line The Iceman, Pain & Gain, The Great Gatsby and At Any Price all do. To check it out, play the 2 minute preview; some, like Gatsby, have free 10 minute previews. When the film is playing, the control menu will have a button labelled [“„] in a little caption bubble; select it and it will give you the choice of "Off" and "English"; if you choose "English", the button will read [EN] and you'll get English subtitles on screen in the style you've set up.

Of things that I have with VUDU players, the Roku VUDU channel, the VUDU web site player and the apps on Xbox 360 and PS3 have this feature; my WD TV Live and Panasonic BDP don't (I have a Sony BDP with a VUDU player that I haven't checked).
mikeyts

Postby beq » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:08 am

mikeyts thank you! Now I can add this info in my chart...

I never knew, just recalled previous forum threads that had said VUDU didn't have CC/subtitles yet (has it been supported all along, or an addition somewhere along the way like with HBO GO?).

As you pointed out, I guess I haven't run across the "Subtitles" label often enough to take notice, plus I think I'd only ever tried the "Watch Trailer" instead of "2 Min Preview". I wonder why the relatively limited selection of titles with CC though, wouldn't they get it from the same sources as Amazon, Redbox Instant, Blockbuster, etc?
beq

Postby mikeyts » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:27 am

beq wrote:I never knew, just recalled previous forum threads that had said VUDU didn't have CC/subtitles yet (has it been supported all along, or an addition somewhere along the way like with HBO GO?).

The VUDU support article about subtitles is dated 10/1/12, so they've only been available for 11 months.

As you pointed out, I guess I haven't run across the "Subtitles" label often enough to take notice, plus I think I'd only ever tried the "Watch Trailer" instead of "2 Min Preview".

The trailers never have surround sound or anything fancy; the previews are best for testing.

I wonder why the relatively limited selection of titles with CC though, wouldn't they get it from the same sources as Amazon, Redbox Instant, Blockbuster, etc?

There's got to be subtitle ("timed text") assets developed for most video and certainly movies once they get to disc and I should think that they'd be available to VUDU, Netflix, Amazon, et al. The streaming services have only slowly given in to legal pressure from disabilities activists and VUDU has been slower to respond than most. Netflix has 90% of its library captioned; looks like Amazon has only a tiny subset of theirs captioned. There wouldn't seem to be any kind of filter for it in the VUDU players.
mikeyts

Postby mikeyts » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:49 pm

mikeyts wrote:...some, like Gatsby, have free 10 minute previews.

These extended previews do not seem to have captions; they're also not OAR and have basic DD instead of DD+ sound. I'd have thought that these would just be the first several minutes of the title, like the 2 minute preview, but apparently not.
mikeyts

Postby beq » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:37 pm

^ Good to know, thx.

mikeyts wrote:
beq wrote:I never knew, just recalled previous forum threads that had said VUDU didn't have CC/subtitles yet (has it been supported all along, or an addition somewhere along the way like with HBO GO?).

The VUDU support article about subtitles is dated 10/1/12, so they've only been available for 11 months.

Sorry I should've clarified I was curious about when VUDU added CC specifically on the Roku. Post #3 in this thread, as well as your other post, from May-Jun 2013, also mentioned the above article and discussed why CC was already on the other platforms but not Roku...
beq

Postby mikeyts » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:49 pm

The VUDU channel itself was added at about the same time as VUDU added subtitles to some platforms so it wasn't there from the beginning. I'm not sure when they added it to the Roku channel.
mikeyts

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion