netflix search doesn't work on roku

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

netflix search doesn't work on roku

Postby salilsurendran » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:19 pm

Hello Friends,
When I search Netflix on roku it quick finds what I am looking for. For eg. if I am searching for 'Robert De Niro' and I type 'Robe' it will bring up 'Robert De Niro' in the right hand box but once I navigate over and select that item it takes me back to the main screen instead of showing movies featuring that actor. Anyone else has this issue?
salilsurendran

Re: netflix search doesn't work on roku

Postby dwanthny » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:58 am

salilsurendran wrote: When I search Netflix on roku it quick finds what I am looking for. For eg. if I am searching for 'Robert De Niro' and I type 'Robe' it will bring up 'Robert De Niro' in the right hand box but once I navigate over and select that item it takes me back to the main screen instead of showing movies featuring that actor. Anyone else has this issue?

I too experience this, but I don't think Netflix searches by actor only by title. If you want to search by actor use the Roku search feature, it works quite well.
:idea: 20GB of Free CLOUD STORAGE: For a limited time you can use this link https://copy.com?r=lB3oTH to sign up for a free 15GB Copy.com account and we both get an extra 5GB of free space.
dwanthny

Postby ACraigo » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:09 am

^^ This.

There are many things about the Netflix Channel that underperform. The search thingy is but one of an increasing list of failures.
Tony
Roku 2 HD
www.fishmojo.com
www.youtube.com/user/TheFishMojo
ACraigo

Postby TheEndless » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:11 am

FWIW, the Instant Watch Browser for Netflix (both the free and paid versions) allows you to search Netflix by actor and/or director.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Justin.tv (JUSTINTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Postby Basil » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:38 am

salilsurendran wrote: When I search Netflix on roku it quick finds what I am looking for. For eg. if I am searching for 'Robert De Niro' and I type 'Robe' it will bring up 'Robert De Niro' in the right hand box but once I navigate over and select that item it takes me back to the main screen instead of showing movies featuring that actor. Anyone else has this issue?

Yes, that's the same thing I get. The search within the Netflix Channel on Roku is all jacked up. The Apple TV version works fine. The Xbox 360 version works fine. Website version works fine. Haven't check any others, but from this limited testing/validation, there's something wonky with the Roku version of Netflix search.
dwanthny wrote:I too experience this, but I don't think Netflix searches by actor only by title. If you want to search by actor use the Roku search feature, it works quite well.

Yes, the Roku Search feature returned 70 results for Robert De Niro, 17 of which are on Netflix. However, you can't filter by just Netflix. That means you will still get the 53 results that are not on Netflix, and you might consider those "noise" if you aren't prepared to watch them via the services that offer them. On the other hand, you'll see just what all is available on what service, and may find that adding a new service, replacing an existing service with a different service, or renting a particular film, is worthwhile. It's all about having choices.

Roku Search works pretty well, and covers (alphabetically) Amazon, Blockbuster, Crackle, HBO GO, Hulu Plus, Netflix, and VUDU.
TheEndless wrote:FWIW, the Instant Watch Browser for Netflix (both the free and paid versions) allows you to search Netflix by actor and/or director.

Yes, what he said.

But, back to the topic at hand: the Netflix search on the Roku is not currently functioning properly.
Basil
http://www.basilsblog.com/
http://www.imao.us/
Roku 3, Roku HDMI Streaming Stick, Roku LT; previous Roku 2 XS, Roku 2 XD, Roku 2 HD, Roku XD|S, Roku HD
Also running Apple TV, TiVo/OTA, Simple.TV/OTA, Chromecast, Amazon Fire TV
Basil
** Valued Community Member **

Postby mikeyts » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:49 am

The Roku Netflix channel does not and never has featured "People Search", which came to many other platforms over a year ago. If you do a search on the platforms which have it two separated lists are displayed, one of matching titles and another of matching people names (actors and directors), like this. The people names don't show up until you enter a third letter.

I have eight devices with embedded Netflix players (TiVo, PS3, Xbox, Sony BDP, Panasonic BDP, WD TV Live, Roku 3 and Roku 2 XS) and only TiVo and the Rokus lack the feature. TiVo and the Rokus also don't have the "Just for Kids" alternative UI or the "'Post-play' Experience" (many people consider the lack of the latter to be a good thing :mrgreen:).

EDIT: I see that search in the Netflix channel does now find people names as suggested search terms but if you search them it doesn't match anything. It doesn't just take you "back to the main screen instead of showing movies featuring that actor", it does exactly what it would do if there were no titles featuring the actor. Did it used to suggest people names or is it post 5.0 behavior? Maybe it uses the same search term suggestion mechanism as the system search feature.
mikeyts

Postby reddice » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:01 pm

Compared to other Netflix UI devices the Roku lacks them behind.
Earthlink Standard powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony PS4 all Wired. Chromecast Wireless.
Cats are the best pets.
reddice

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion