Roku 2XS still going bad.

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Roku 2XS still going bad.

Postby lsc » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:01 am

The issues (some reported earlier) with the Roku 2 just continue. First, need to reboot often after I had owned the Roku for a little over a year. Second, keeps losing wireless connection although the Roku said the connection was excellent and my laptops, Nexus and other devices do not have this problem. Third, the status light sometimes will blink instead of staying on constantly when the Roku is on. Finally (so far), the Roku no longer works with Netflix. Netflix support had me uninstall its channel, then reinstall it. That worked for about a day. Now even with a reinstall it will not last that long. On my second call to Netflix (getting Roku support is a joke) , they said this was a sign the Roku was going bad and they had seen this many times before. When I informed them the Roku was only a little over a year old, they said not surprised.

BTW, I just checked and Netflix works fine on my old Roku (N1100 which had been used for less than a year before buying the Roku 2), my LG BR player with apps and my LG TV with apps. Interesting that this occurred shortly after the new menu was installed but probably a coincidence. Luckily the old Roku does not have the newest menu.

Although I have had it a little over a year, I will return to Costco and see what I can work out. Maybe an Apple TV. I did use their American Express which doubles the warranty. Is the Roku original warranty 1 year or a cheap 90 days? If the latter, that probably tells us all we need to know about Roku quality. Very frustrated.
Roku 2 XS; ATT DSL; Netgear Wireless Gateway; Ethernet; LG 32" HDTV; HDMI; 1080p
lsc

Re: Roku 2XS still going bad.

Postby Nocturnal » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:02 pm

lsc wrote:Second, keeps losing wireless connection although the Roku said the connection was excellent

I had been having this problem since I got my 2XS some time ago (no problem with the older XDS). Recently, I used my router's (D-LINK DIR-655) setup menus to reserve an IP address for the 2XS, and it has been behaving much better since then (so far).
Nocturnal

Postby philsoft » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:21 pm

lsc wrote:Is the Roku original warranty 1 year or a cheap 90 days? If the latter, that probably tells us all we need to know about Roku quality.

90 day warranties are the standard for sub $100 electronics items. 90 days is even standard on many electronics priced much higher than $100
philsoft
** Valued Community Member **

Postby irustemp@gmail.com » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:15 am

I am having similar issues when I fast forward (either in netflix, youtube, dailymotion .... any thing) it just stuck there and drops wireless connection
irustemp@gmail.com

Postby RokuShawnS » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:16 pm

All off-topic replies deleted.

C. Shawn Smith

PS - And again. Next off-topic reply will be rewarded with a temporary ban.
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby wzwor » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:28 pm

Unless, of course, facts are off topic on these forums :mrgreen:
http://thebeersoncomcast.wordpress.com/
wzwor

Postby trekkeriii » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:57 pm

Disable Wireless Isolation, as I believe I have seen that cause issues with Roku. Also, reserve the IP and make sure Channel settings are not Automatic. Also, if you have DHCP lease time settings set low, set them higher times as well. Some routers by default reissue IPs every hour. Another thing it could be is the SD card going bad, try removing it and see if the issues go away.
Roku2 XS, 42" LCD, Ethernet (5.5 b320)
Roku Stick HDMI, 32" LCD, WiFi (5.5 b2027)
Roku N1000, 25" CRT, Ethernet (3.1)
Router - Linksys WRT54G2
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
trekkeriii
** Valued Community Member **

Postby Nocturnal » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:27 pm

irustemp@gmail.com wrote:I am having similar issues when I fast forward (either in netflix, youtube, dailymotion .... any thing) it just stuck there and drops wireless connection

That is the problem I was having with Netflix. After reserving the IP address for the Roku 2XS in the router's setup menus, it works really well (quick response and no lost connections yet).
Nocturnal

Postby Nocturnal » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:45 am

Nocturnal wrote:
irustemp@gmail.com wrote:I am having similar issues when I fast forward (either in netflix, youtube, dailymotion .... any thing) it just stuck there and drops wireless connection

That is the problem I was having with Netflix. After reserving the IP address for the Roku 2XS in the router's setup menus, it works really well (quick response and no lost connections yet).

Well, I did have another connection loss (error 014), so it's not a complete solution; but it's still working much better than it had been.
Nocturnal

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion