Netflix won't play multiple episodes of a series

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Netflix won't play multiple episodes of a series

Postby quixotic » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:52 pm

I have been having an issue with my Roku XDS and Netflix for a few months. Most days it will allow us to watch one episode of a series, but once the first episode of the day is finished it will not allow access to the next episode. The Roku will change to the loading screen for a moment, then throw me right back to the episode selection screen.

I have tried rebooting the Roku, modem, and router, and it never has any effect. This same thing will happen occasionally with a movie too - it will start to load, and with no error message or anything will just go back to the selection screen. I have my Roku hard wire connected to my router, so there cannot be any wifi issues.

I have done speed tests on my modem (Comcast cable) connection, and it is always running just fine when these issues occur. I've also tried streaming to my computer, and the next episode will stream fine. It seems as though it is a connection or processing issue with the Roku, but that is hard to verify.

Any help or suggestions that anyone has would be appreciated. Thanks!
quixotic

Re: Netflix won't play multiple episodes of a series

Postby jeffrok » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:48 pm

I'd refer to the other threads that have been started on this issue.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz
jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Postby reddice » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:10 pm

I never had this problem with Netflix but episodes don't advance with Amazon.
Earthlink Extreme powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS
Toshiba 39L2300U - Amazon Fire TV, Sony PS4 Wired Apple TV 3 Wireless
Toshiba 32RV530U - Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim Wired
Cats are the best pets
reddice

Postby ACraigo » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:26 pm

reddice wrote:I never had this problem with Netflix but episodes don't advance with Amazon.

Episodes have never advanced with Amazon. Their app doesn't work that way. If you want to advance an Amazon series just hit the right button. If you hit the right button in the Netflix app you go to the next selection on the grid...

and yes, there are plenty of other threads on this netflix issue all over this forum because it's huge pain in the arse and the responsible party(ies) seem unable, or unwilling to fix it. Roku blames Netflix... Netflix blames Roku. It's the black hole of bug fixes. All that ever seems to get done is finger pointing and obfuscation.

The good news is that out of the blue, for no reason, episodes start to advance normally - for a while - then it's right back to being broken. If it starts working for you enjoy it while it lasts.

Another annoying 'feature' of this bug is everyone that doesn't have the bug feels some deep instinctual need to point out that their Netflix channel works perfectly - eluding to their secret belief that it must be something on our end that causes it. I used to want to slap these people, but have opted to just ignore them instead.
Tony
Roku 2 HD
www.fishmojo.com
www.youtube.com/user/TheFishMojo
ACraigo

Postby RokuShawnS » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:46 pm

ACraigo wrote:
reddice wrote:I never had this problem with Netflix but episodes don't advance with Amazon.

Episodes have never advanced with Amazon. Their app doesn't work that way. If you want to advance an Amazon series just hit the right button. If you hit the right button in the Netflix app you go to the next selection on the grid...

and yes, there are plenty of other threads on this netflix issue all over this forum because it's huge pain in the arse and the responsible party(ies) seem unable, or unwilling to fix it. Roku blames Netflix... Netflix blames Roku. It's the black hole of bug fixes. All that ever seems to get done is finger pointing and obfuscation.

The good news is that out of the blue, for no reason, episodes start to advance normally - for a while - then it's right back to being broken. If it starts working for you enjoy it while it lasts.

Another annoying 'feature' of this bug is everyone that doesn't have the bug feels some deep instinctual need to point out that their Netflix channel works perfectly - eluding to their secret belief that it must be something on our end that causes it. I used to want to slap these people, but have opted to just ignore them instead.

I don't believe Netflix has ever pointed a finger at the Roku, and neither has Roku pointed a finger at Netflix. We suspect the problem is a Netflix issue, but we're not certain yet.

Regardless, I had this bug too for quite awhile on my 3 home units. Two weeks ago the problem mysteriously vanished, and hasn't manifested itself since then. The issue is still being tracked and investigated.

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby ACraigo » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:26 am

Yea...

The same day it started working for you it started working for me. Last week it went titsup again and hasn't hit a lick since.

I think a year of 'tracking and investigating' would have produced more than a mysterious fix that lasted 4 days, but what do I know? I'm not in the 'tracking and investigating' bidness. I'm in the can't watch Netflix episodes 'cause my Netflix app on Roku is busted bidness.
Tony
Roku 2 HD
www.fishmojo.com
ACraigo

Postby dwanthny » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:30 am

ACraigo wrote:and yes, there are plenty of other threads on this netflix issue all over this forum because it's huge pain in the arse and the responsible party(ies) seem unable, or unwilling to fix it. Roku blames Netflix... Netflix blames Roku. It's the black hole of bug fixes. All that ever seems to get done is finger pointing and obfuscation.

At the risk of being slapped, I have never experienced this problem in 2 years. I also never secretly or otherwise thought it was something on the users end.

It seems to be a handshake bug between the Roku and the Netflix servers that supply the channel data, posters, metadata etc... I would have thought the error handling in Netflix' channel could have been fine tuned by now to adjust for these problems.
:idea: 20GB of Free CLOUD STORAGE: For a limited time you can use this link https://copy.com?r=lB3oTH to sign up for a free 15GB Copy.com account and we both get an extra 5GB of free space.
dwanthny

Postby dlester03 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:28 am

RokuShawnS wrote:
Regardless, I had this bug too for quite awhile on my 3 home units. Two weeks ago the problem mysteriously vanished, and hasn't manifested itself since then. The issue is still being tracked and investigated.

C. Shawn Smith

I've been having this problem with Netflix for a while too. Last night I noticed that it is no longer occurring and the series I've been watching for the last 3 months now auto advances to the next episode with no problem. Too bad I'm down to the last 2 episodes in the series. I guess I'll have to wait now until I queue up another series to watch and see what happens.
dlester03

Postby ACraigo » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:32 am

dwanthny wrote:At the risk of being slapped, I have never experienced this problem in 2 years. I also never secretly or otherwise thought it was something on the users end.

It seems to be a handshake bug between the Roku and the Netflix servers that supply the channel data, posters, metadata etc... I would have thought the error handling in Netflix' channel could have been fine tuned by now to adjust for these problems.

I would never slap any body from NC. You might know that 'fatback' is fish, not pork, and that would make you and I endangered species out there on the beach at Hatteras.
Tony
Roku 2 HD
www.fishmojo.com
ACraigo

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion