NFL streaming

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

NFL streaming

Postby jeratbp » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:33 am

Does anyone have a solution for streaming NFL?
jeratbp

Re: NFL streaming

Postby Basil » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:55 am

jeratbp wrote:Does anyone have a solution for streaming NFL?

Personally, I'm opposed to it.

But, if you favor it, and want to watch NFL games live over the Internet, your best best is http://nfl.com/. I don't see where they have any information about streaming games, and, since they're the content owner, they make the call on that.

The only possibility I can think of would be games carried on ESPN. If that's the case, you'll need something like iPad, Apple TV, or Xbox that supports WatchESPN. You'll also need a cable provider to authenticate against.
Basil
http://www.basilsblog.com/
http://www.imao.us/
Roku 3, Roku LT, Roku HDMI Streaming Stick; previous: Roku 1, Roku 2 XS, Roku 2 XD, Roku 2 HD, Roku XD|S, Roku HD
Also running Apple TV, TiVo/OTA, Chromecast; Previous: Simple.TV/OTA, Amazon Fire TV
Basil
** Valued Community Member **

Postby Gilgamesh » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:42 am

due to various exclusive agreements it is very unlikely there is much NFL streaming available. I don't know for sure but I doubt even the ESPN games are available to stream unless you subscribe to a package that receives them.

The NFL, and other rights holders, believes that streaming will adversely impact their income.

Of course many of the contracts are expiring within the next few years so this could change.
Gilgamesh

Postby snarler » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:17 am

Best legal option I've found is NFL Rewind. 40 bucks a year for every game the next day and not while a live game is on somewhere. Now if only there were a Roku channel for it...
snarler

Postby DerekHelps » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:34 am

snarler wrote:Best legal option I've found is NFL Rewind. 40 bucks a year for every game the next day and not while a live game is on somewhere. Now if only there were a Roku channel for it...

Seconded, its fair enough, I tend to try to find a way to watch my Saints games live, and then use rewind for catching up on the games of interest the next day.
Netgear WNR2000v2
Linksys WRT54G with DD-WRT Firmware acting as Client Bridge
Soundbridge M2000/M500/R1000
Roku 2 XS 3100
-------------------------------------------------
It's all in the <sup>details</sup>
DerekHelps

Postby Buckeye911 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:59 pm

Connect an antenna to your TV to get your local channels for free.
Buckeye911

Postby snarler » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:05 pm

Buckeye911 wrote:Connect an antenna to your TV to get your local channels for free.

Great if your game is on locally and you can pick up channels and can put an antenna up or in attic or live close enough to use one of those indoor ones. Only works if your game isn't blacked out and its not Monday night game or on NFL network, etc. Sunday Ticket makes up for the non local games on Sunday afternoon but doesn't help with the rest and it's too pricey for me. Heck I get locals in Gainesville and I think the local Fox station rolls a die to see what game it shows cause the Bucs are only shown if they feel like it lol.
snarler

Postby tombonneau » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:04 pm

snarler wrote:Best legal option I've found is NFL Rewind. 40 bucks a year for every game the next day and not while a live game is on somewhere. Now if only there were a Roku channel for it...

Yup, this is what I do. Only thing that killed me about cutting the cord was no MNF and TNF but Thursday is doable with this package. Of course, most of the games are dogs anyway so no big loss. ;)

I agree not sure what the holdup is on having these apps on the Roku or Apple TV, esp. since they have apps for iPad. You'd think that with the pissing contest going on between TWC and the NFL that the NFL would be looking at all sorts of ways to get NFL Network on TVs and marginalizing the role of big cable but what do I know?
tombonneau

Postby joed32 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:09 am

For the Pre Season NFL.com sells it for $20 for every game with fast forward, rewind, etc. and 30 minute versions of all games after they're completed. I know pre season sucks but their presentation is excellent with pretty good PQ. I pipe it over to my TV. They don't have anything like it for the regular season.
joed32

Postby wxman2003 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:55 pm

Get a Playstation. Sony has an agreement with DirecTV to allow you to purchase the NFL package without having DirecTV. You can stream all the games. In 2 years, it won't matter. DirecTV will no longer have exclusive rights, and no longer wants it. NFL will be streaming on every device when that happens and be available via cable too.
wxman2003

Postby snarler » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:09 am

joed32 wrote:For the Pre Season NFL.com sells it for $20 for every game with fast forward, rewind, etc. and 30 minute versions of all games after they're completed. I know pre season sucks but their presentation is excellent with pretty good PQ. I pipe it over to my TV. They don't have anything like it for the regular season.

Unless I misunderstood your features descriptions, NFL Rewind is exactly that for regular season games.

wxman2003 wrote:Get a Playstation. Sony has an agreement with DirecTV to allow you to purchase the NFL package without having DirecTV. You can stream all the games. In 2 years, it won't matter. DirecTV will no longer have exclusive rights, and no longer wants it. NFL will be streaming on every device when that happens and be available via cable too.

Not all games. Monday night, Thursday night, and locally blacked out games are not covered by Sunday Ticket last I researched. But here's hoping you're spot on about DirecTV not wanting those rights anymore.
snarler

Postby eding » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:09 am

wxman2003 wrote:Get a Playstation. Sony has an agreement with DirecTV to allow you to purchase the NFL package without having DirecTV. You can stream all the games. In 2 years, it won't matter. DirecTV will no longer have exclusive rights, and no longer wants it. NFL will be streaming on every device when that happens and be available via cable too.

Why do you say that DirecTV no longer wants Sunday Ticket? What are you basing this on? Is there a link to a source you could provide?
eding

Postby jeffrok » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:05 am

I think he said Directv wants the Sunday Ticket, just not exclusive rights to it.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz
jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Postby eding » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:30 pm

I should have said exclusive rights. But exclusive rights to Sunday Ticket is what put DirecTV on the map (just like Fox became a true network once its nabbed an NFL deal) and allows it to charge a higher price than Dish and compete against cable providers. I would think DirecTV does everything possible to keep Sunday Ticket exclusive. Is this all conjecture, or is there some news article that discusses the situation? (Personally, I would like to see Sunday Ticket opened up to cable providers as well as a streaming option, but I'm skeptical.)
eding

Postby joed32 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:12 am

snarler wrote:
joed32 wrote:For the Pre Season NFL.com sells it for $20 for every game with fast forward, rewind, etc. and 30 minute versions of all games after they're completed. I know pre season sucks but their presentation is excellent with pretty good PQ. I pipe it over to my TV. They don't have anything like it for the regular season.

Unless I misunderstood your features descriptions, NFL Rewind is exactly that for regular season games.

Not all games. Monday night, Thursday night, and locally blacked out games are not covered by Sunday Ticket last I researched. But here's hoping you're spot on about DirecTV not wanting those rights anymore.

NFL Rewind doesn't allow you to watch the games live where NFL Preseason does.
joed32

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion