NFL streaming

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Re: NFL streaming

Postby joed32 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:17 am

jeffrok wrote:I think he said Directv wants the Sunday Ticket, just not exclusive rights to it.

That article was just Directv sending a message to the NFL not to raise the price too high. They want exclusive rights and will pay a lot for it. The NFL wants it to stay exclusive as well. If everyone could get ST it would drive down the price that CBS and Fox pay to get the Sunday games because no one would watch local commercials and their affiliates would suffer.
joed32

Postby bozzy » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:10 am

joed32 wrote:
jeffrok wrote:I think he said Directv wants the Sunday Ticket, just not exclusive rights to it.

That article was just Directv sending a message to the NFL not to raise the price too high. They want exclusive rights and will pay a lot for it. The NFL wants it to stay exclusive as well. If everyone could get ST it would drive down the price that CBS and Fox pay to get the Sunday games because no one would watch local commercials and their affiliates would suffer.

The writing is on the wall for Directv. They are going to lose streaming rights most likely at the very least so the NFL can control it. And their are already hints that the NFL is looking to not make it exclusive for the first time in history. It will be interesting to see it play out when the contract is up.
bozzy

Postby steelersrule » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:38 am

DirecTV has stated that if the price is too high for the next signup for NFLST, they would either be out altogether, or just be one of many companies involved. here is the article from March. Take from it whatever you want:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ay-ticket/

Now the NFLST IS AVAILABLE this year on the PS3 for $250. WAY OVERPRICED IMHO. Or you can buy the mobile version(BOTH are allowed to be purchased by NON DIRETV customers. Simply put: If you do not want DirecTV,you do not need to have it in order to get either one. PERIOD.)

The mobile version(for Ipad/Ipod touch/Android/Computer/etc...) is $250. But here is something you may not know. Of you buy the $99 version of MADDEN 25TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION from AMAZON, you will get NFLST for FREE, with the enclosed code in the box. Here is a link:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CF7 ... os_product

IT MUST BE the Anniversary edition for either XBOX or PS. So if you bought it, with tax and free shipping, it should come to around $106. And then if you HATE Madden, sell the game(minus the code for FREE NFLST) at GameStop, or elsewhere for like $35 CASH(more for store credit), and you wind up paying around $70(maybe more or less) for NFLST, which is a GREAT DEAL IMHO.

I will also provide a comprehensive review of the NFLST on different devices. Here:

http://www.sportsgeekery.com/28860/revi ... nd-online/

I would love to see NFLST become available to multiple platforms. I just do not see it happening. I can see NFL REWIND becoming available on ROKU, but that would be it.

But one can hope.
steelersrule

Postby joed32 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:52 am

Every time the contract comes due we hear all of these same things and nothing has ever changed.
joed32

Postby snarler » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:24 am

steelersrule wrote:The mobile version(for Ipad/Ipod touch/Android/Computer/etc...) is $250. But here is something you may not know. Of you buy the $99 version of MADDEN 25TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION from AMAZON, you will get NFLST for FREE, with the enclosed code in the box. Here is a link:

IT MUST BE the Anniversary edition for either XBOX or PS. So if you bought it, with tax and free shipping, it should come to around $106. And then if you HATE Madden, sell the game(minus the code for FREE NFLST) at GameStop, or elsewhere for like $35 CASH(more for store credit), and you wind up paying around $70(maybe more or less) for NFLST, which is a GREAT DEAL IMHO.

I looked at that, but when reading the details on amazon, I saw this....

"For fans who are able to receive DirecTV service, a special promo code will be included entitling them to an exclusive promotion, including $10 off per month for their first year of service, and one year of NFL Sunday Ticket Max at no additional charge."

...which implies they do some kind of check as opposed to allowing you to just get the non-DirecTV version like what's on the PS3?
snarler

Postby steelersrule » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:22 pm

snarler wrote:
steelersrule wrote:The mobile version(for Ipad/Ipod touch/Android/Computer/etc...) is $250. But here is something you may not know. Of you buy the $99 version of MADDEN 25TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION from AMAZON, you will get NFLST for FREE, with the enclosed code in the box. Here is a link:

"For fans who are able to receive DirecTV service, a special promo code will be included entitling them to an exclusive promotion, including $10 off per month for their first year of service, and one year of NFL Sunday Ticket Max at no additional charge."

...which implies they do some kind of check as opposed to allowing you to just get the non-DirecTV version like what's on the PS3?

Did you happen to read the FAQ right above that one? This has worried people for the past 2 years with BOTH the mobile and PS3 version, and in BOTH cases you DO NOT need DirecTV service in order to get it. They are not going to change their policy now.

Basically what you are doing is setting up an ONLINE ACCOUNT with DirecTV, so you can access NFLST via the PS3 or mobile devices. All they do is "Ask you" if you can receive DirecTv at your address, and you simply click on the answer, "NO."

Do I need a DirecTV subscription to access NFL Sunday Ticket?
No, it's not necessary to have a DirecTV subscription. Each Anniversary Edition includes a code that can be redeemed to access the full 2013 regular season (17 weeks) of NFL Sunday Ticket on computer, tablet, and mobile devices.
steelersrule

Postby wxman2003 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:52 pm

I tried signing up online for mobile app. It always requires me to select package. It does not ask me if I can get DirecTV. Never mind. I see you have to purchase the game.
wxman2003

Postby snarler » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:09 pm

steelersrule wrote:
snarler wrote:

Did you happen to read the FAQ right above that one? This has worried people for the past 2 years with BOTH the mobile and PS3 version, and in BOTH cases you DO NOT need DirecTV service in order to get it. They are not going to change their policy now.

Basically what you are doing is setting up an ONLINE ACCOUNT with DirecTV, so you can access NFLST via the PS3 or mobile devices. All they do is "Ask you" if you can receive DirecTv at your address, and you simply click on the answer, "NO."

Do I need a DirecTV subscription to access NFL Sunday Ticket?
No, it's not necessary to have a DirecTV subscription. Each Anniversary Edition includes a code that can be redeemed to access the full 2013 regular season (17 weeks) of NFL Sunday Ticket on computer, tablet, and mobile devices.

They continue to post contradicting information then, because on that same page as my first quote and your FAQ quote is....

"Exclusive Offers From DirecTV
For fans who are not currently DirecTV subscribers but are able to receive DirecTV service, they will receive a promo code entitling them to $10 off per month for their first year of service and one year of NFL Sunday Ticket Max at no additional charge.
For fans who are already DirecTV and NFL Sunday Ticket Max subscribers, you can access NFL Sunday Ticket on your computer, tablet, and mobile devices using your current DirecTV username and password.
For fans unable to receive DirecTV service, each Madden NFL 25 Anniversary Edition will include a unique code to access the 2013 regular season (17 weeks) trial of NFL Sunday Ticket on computers, tablets, and mobile devices- including access to the award-winning Red Zone Channel."

...but then again it sounds like they may not be enforcing it either. :)
snarler

Postby steelersrule » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:18 am

I know it sounds confusing, but trust me, you do not need to subscribe to DirecTV to get this service anymore. Either on mobile devices, or a PS3.

I subscribed the 1st year on a PS3, and all you do is just check NO, I CANNOT GET DIRECTV SERVICE WHERE I LIVE and that is it. There are no DirecTV police that come and search where you live. Others signing up for the Mobile service did just the same thing.

You CANNOT sign up now because the STAND ALONE version of NFLST(Mobile or PS3) does not become available to the public until around September 3rd or 4th. Usually a few days before the first game(Thursday Night) of the season, and is then available all football season to purchase, with it becoming half price around Week 9.
steelersrule

Postby Frankie'sMarket » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:58 pm

Basil wrote:
jeratbp wrote:Does anyone have a solution for streaming NFL?

Personally, I'm opposed to it.

But, if you favor it, and want to watch NFL games live over the Internet, your best best is http://nfl.com/. I don't see where they have any information about streaming games, and, since they're the content owner, they make the call on that.

The only possibility I can think of would be games carried on ESPN. If that's the case, you'll need something like iPad, Apple TV, or Xbox that supports WatchESPN. You'll also need a cable provider to authenticate against.

NBC streamed their Sunday Night Football telecasts on their website and NBC Sports Live Extra app last season for viewers in the US. (I don't know about international restrictions, if there are any.) No requirement to sign-in with a cable provider. Surprised that this hasn't been mentioned in this thread. Nobody here was aware of this?

On the Roku, NFL Game Rewind subscribers can try to watch the games via the infamous channel that cannot be mentioned in this forum. But the quality sucks on this platform. I would not recommend purchasing Game Rewind with the idea of enjoying it on the Roku.

Non-US viewers are able to subscribe to NFL Game Pass, which provides live streaming for ALL live games, and they throw in NFL Redzone coverage as well as 24/7 live streaming of the NFL Network. US fans can get into the action here, provided they know some location tricks.
Frankie'sMarket

Postby scyber » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:32 am

Frankie'sMarket wrote:NBC streamed their Sunday Night Football telecasts on their website and NBC Sports Live Extra app last season for viewers in the US. (I don't know about international restrictions, if there are any.) No requirement to sign-in with a cable provider. Surprised that this hasn't been mentioned in this thread. Nobody here was aware of this?

NBC is an OTA station and the broadcast is national. Most people should be able to get the game simply by using an antenna. Most people that are looking to stream NFL games are looking for one or more of the following:

1) Out of market Sunday Afternoon games (fox/cbs)
2) MNF (ESPN)
3) TNF (NFL Network)

There are probably a few people that can't get digital signals that might be looking for the in-market Sunday or SNF games, but I'd imagine they are pretty rare.
scyber

Postby Frankie'sMarket » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:58 pm

scyber wrote:NBC is an OTA station and the broadcast is national. Most people should be able to get the game simply by using an antenna. Most people that are looking to stream NFL games are looking for one or more of the following:

1) Out of market Sunday Afternoon games (fox/cbs)
2) MNF (ESPN)
3) TNF (NFL Network)

There are probably a few people that can't get digital signals that might be looking for the in-market Sunday or SNF games, but I'd imagine they are pretty rare.

Just because NBC's NFL telecasts are OTA doesn't mean that it's online streaming is superfluous. The fact that it offers the convenience of mobile viewing on laptops and tablets makes the online effort significant and worthy of mention in this thread. But to borrow the oft-used infomercial phrase, "Wait, there's more."

Besides the OTA game broadcast, the NBC Sports website offers sideline, end zone, and various other alternate camera views. There's also a social media component, allowing users to interact with other viewers as well as a network analyst/blogger.

You get none of that extra content with just the OTA channel, my friend.
Frankie'sMarket

Postby snarler » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:33 am

Frankie'sMarket wrote:There's also a social media component, allowing users to interact with other viewers

I do that at home with my friends or at a sports bar :D
snarler

Postby Fitzonguam » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:17 pm

Well, technology has come to the rescue again. I don't know why the NFL won't allow a ROKU channel for stuff you can get all over the net, but a Google Chromecast device will allow you to stream from your computer or tablet to your TV (assuming you have an available HDMI Port). This year, everything I stream, I'm going to watch on my big Samsung.
Fitzonguam

Postby missastoria » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:40 am

Actually, NFL Rewind also offers preseason live for $20. Granted, I missed seeing my Hawks game,but just watched the condensed version via Rewind in 30 mins. Excellent picture quality and editing, highly recommended!
Hopefully, Roku will take the hint from their customers and work out some kind of deal with Rewind for a Roku plugin. Unfortunately Playon is a Windows platform only, so us Apple users are left out. Bummer for them, our money is just as good as Windows users, :)
missastoria

PreviousNext

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion