Best playback of tivo HD files?

For general discussion of the Roku PhotoBridge HD1000 and Gallery Collection.

Moderators: TheEndless, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Best playback of tivo HD files?

Postby mparadis » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:47 am

I'm using a tivo as the source for my HD files. I dump those files onto a server. There is plenty of network speed between the Roku and the server which is not a problem.

However, the Roku does not seem to play back the hi-def files as well as I had hoped. I'm assuming others have tried this? Could those who have been able to get very hi quality playback share their thoughts on how they have done so.

Thanks.

Mike
mparadis

Re: Best playback of tivo HD files?

Postby SteveT » Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:03 pm

mparadis wrote:I'm using a tivo as the source for my HD files. I dump those files onto a server. There is plenty of network speed between the Roku and the server which is not a problem.

However, the Roku does not seem to play back the hi-def files as well as I had hoped. I'm assuming others have tried this? Could those who have been able to get very hi quality playback share their thoughts on how they have done so.

Thanks.

Mike
What model TiVo are you using to capture the HD content?
What format are you converting it to?
What software are you using to convert it?
How does it look (after conversion) when you play it on the PC?
SteveT

Postby mparadis » Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:52 pm

Mike[/quote]What model TiVo are you using to capture the HD content?
What format are you converting it to?
What software are you using to convert it?
How does it look (after conversion) when you play it on the PC?[/quote]

Um, my question is, what are others doing to get the best display of these files.

I'm using a Hughes HR10-250.
No conversion, downloading them as MPEG files, converted on the fly.
They don't look as well as I'd like them to. For one, a strange thing is that even though I've got the output of the Roku set to 1080i, the files aren't playing full size, such as they do on the Tivo. Of course, that could be my misunderstanding of the device differences themselves.
mparadis

Postby TheEndless » Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:06 pm

mparadis wrote:Um, my question is, what are others doing to get the best display of these files.

No conversion, downloading them as MPEG files, converted on the fly.
They don't look as well as I'd like them to. For one, a strange thing is that even though I've got the output of the Roku set to 1080i, the files aren't playing full size, such as they do on the Tivo. Of course, that could be my misunderstanding of the device differences themselves.

I pull video from my HR10-250 using multiplex mode in TyTool and am able to playback on the Roku without any problems. The picture looks as good as, if not better than, it does on the TiVo. Are you sure you have the Video Placement adjusted correctly on your PB? Also, what are you using to playback the video? MPlay offers several different zoom modes that may help you adjust the display correctly.

TheEndless
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Twitch.tv (TWITCHTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Postby mparadis » Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:14 pm

TheEndless wrote:
mparadis wrote:Um, my question is, what are others doing to get the best display of these files.

I pull video from my HR10-250 using multiplex mode in TyTool and am able to playback on the Roku without any problems. The picture looks as good as, if not better than, it does on the TiVo. Are you sure you have the Video Placement adjusted correctly on your PB? Also, what are you using to playback the video? MPlay offers several different zoom modes that may help you adjust the display correctly.

TheEndless

Right... same here, that's how I pull them down. I also have the flash RAM for better playback.
As for input, I'm using an HDTV projector which displays the originals perfectly on the big screen but the Roku does not display them as well for some reason.

I've been trying to get Viper working and would use mplay also as tghe player as you suggest.

Mike
mparadis

Postby Bgrubb1 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:08 pm

I do the same as Endless, pull in Tytool from an HR10-250, do a vob mux (old format) and it looks phenomenal, no issues
Bgrubb1

Postby mparadis » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:14 pm

Bgrubb1 wrote:I do the same as Endless, pull in Tytool from an HR10-250, do a vob mux (old format) and it looks phenomenal, no issues

The part I don't understand is that on my projector, coming off of the HR10-250, the movie is edge to edge on the screen, as I've set up for hi-def.

However, when playing back using the Roku which is also set to 1080i output, the size is about a third less and I can't fill the screen properly.

Mike
mparadis

Postby jor » Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:20 pm

hey, thanks for the notes on how to do it right (multiplex). I pulled the test pattern program off HDNET and it played back great, even over the slug's slow smb link. (BTW, how to get mplay to play nice with nfs mounts?)

Do you ever edit these high res mpegs? What tools? I've generally been dumping recordings to a dvd recorder over the svideo. Aspect ratio is maintained, and I can edit with a painful remote interface, but obviously this is in NTSC resolution only.
jor

Postby Burkhardi » Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:49 pm

anyone know a way to get the info off a SA 8300HD? There is no ethernet plug on it. I am running the SARA firmware, not Passport. It seems the 1394 port is disabled too.
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku
Burkhardi

Postby r111 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:14 pm

According to the AVSforum, some have been able to record MPEG HD from SA8300HD with SARA (if you box has 1394 ports). There is much discussion there, it is not a trivial setup. I have Passport software so am out of luck for now.
r111

Postby dgburns » Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:49 pm

Burkhardi wrote:anyone know a way to get the info off a SA 8300HD?

I just added an external SATA 300GB drive to my 8300HD. The enclosure I'm using (Metal Gear Box) supports external SATA or USB2.0 and interal PATA drive. This weekend I plan to try plugging the external drive into my PC via USB and see if I can pull some DVR'd content off for archiving.
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)
Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV
Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's
PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext
M1000 (upstairs)
HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)
Visco 32" LCD
AR 2.1 audio system
PS/2
dgburns

Postby r111 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:08 pm

dgburns: Which cable provider do you use? I would not get your hopes up, I recall reading that the video is encrypted with the same encryption used to send it to to box. Perhaps local HD channels are not encrypted...?
r111

Postby dgburns » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:41 am

r111 wrote:dgburns: Which cable provider do you use? I would not get your hopes up, I recall reading that the video is encrypted with the same encryption used to send it to to box. Perhaps local HD channels are not encrypted...?

Comcast. Ja...I do not have high hopes, more of an experiment than anything else. And since it seems no two Comcast systems are the same....

Didn't get a chance to play with this at all this weekend, and now leaving town for two weeks. This will have to wait.
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)
Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV
Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's
PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext
M1000 (upstairs)
HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)
Visco 32" LCD
AR 2.1 audio system
PS/2
dgburns

Return to PhotoBridge General Discussion