Using a NAS or networked hard drive? Tell us about it.

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Using a NAS or networked hard drive? Tell us about it.

Postby RokuPatrick » Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:08 am

We want to better understand the non-computer based devices people are using as servers for their SoundBridges. If you are using a networked hard drive or NAS or other embedded server device, we'd love to know about it.

If you're the first person to mention a particular device, it would be nice to also mention if it supports the soundbridge out of the box or if it needs to be "hacked" or otherwise modified to support the SoundBridge.

If the device you use has already been mentioned, please post a "me too" message so we can help gauge the popularity of the different devices.

Thanks.
Last edited by RokuPatrick on Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RokuPatrick

Re: Using a NAS or networked hard drive? Tell us about it.

Postby tal » Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:22 pm

I use a Linksys NSLU2 hacked with uNSLUng 5 and mt-daapd as music server.

About Installation:
The firmware is based on the open source provided by linksys. There are good step-by-step instrcutions on how to flash the NSLU2 at http://www.nslu2-linux.org/

After the new firmware is installed installing the mt-daapd server (Still using V0.2.3) is very easy: Using the provided ipkg command the software is downloaded and installed automatically.

Advantages
Very low cost, works reliable 24/7, silent (no fan).

SoundBridge support
After the mentioned installation it works great with SoundBridge since mt-daapd is recognized as iTunes compatible. Therefore it supports browsing by artist, album,... (but not by folders) - just as iTunes.

Thorsten
Easily control your SoundBridge from your Windows PC or wireless PocketPC with VisualMR
tal

Postby sJv » Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:31 pm

I am using a Simpletech 160GB Simpleshare, which is based on the Broadcom BCM4780 NASoC, same as Maxtor's Shared Storage. Out of the box, the Simpleshare does not have any media server on it. Using help from the folks at http://www.openMSS.org, I was able to build a custom firmware image that allowed me to telnet into the device and setup mt-daapd. I borrowed bits and pieces of software from the openMSS firmware image to make it work.

It works well with the soundbridge, but wasn't the easiest thing to setup. While the SimpleShare is generally cheaper than the Maxtor Shared Storage, it might be worth it for most people to buy the Maxtor product as it comes with a working mediabolic and mt-daapd server built in. Plus, openMSS allows one to add other small packages if one was so inclined. Given time, I'll try to get the simpleshare to the same state as the MSS.

-steve
sJv

Postby ibby » Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:51 pm

I'm using a Buffalo Linkstation HD-H250LAN. This is a 250 gig with 10/100 ethernet (no wireless). There are actually two versions of this device: one is based on powerPC and one is MipSel. I have the MipSel.

It needs to be hacked as it comes with only a proprietary media server installed (PCast) that only works with Buffalo TheatreLink devices.

I've installed mt-daapd and it runs great. I only have about 1500 songs so browsing on the Soundbridge is pretty much instantaneous.

Thanks for asking Roku guys!
Roku Soundbridge M1001 v2.7.29
NAS: Buffalo LinkStation 250 (MipSEL) openware v0.52b
NAS server: mt-daapd v0.2.4
Router: LinkSys WRT54G v4.20.7
Computer: Dell XPS M170 XP SP2
and 1000 monkeys at the controls!
ibby

Postby stretch » Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:42 pm

I'm also using an NSLU2 running uNSLUng (v3.18) and mt-daapd.
stretch

Postby hpsenicka » Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:08 pm

I also have an NSLU2 that I intend to configure with Unslung and mt-daapd to use an an iTunes server for my M500.

So far I have been just experimenting with SlimServer running on a spare PC.
hpsenicka

Postby alank » Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:59 pm

Maxtor's Shared Storage. Works with SoundBridge out-of-the-box (after firmware upgrade to MSSPlus).
alank

Postby dbrown » Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:12 pm

I use 2 Carnation powdered milk cans and a shoestring. I'm working on a wireless solution, however.
dbrown

Postby ijwuk » Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:58 am

Im using a NetDisk external drive which is 250GB.
http://www.ximeta.com/products/network_ ... index.php#

I have to use it with a PC running as a server.

I've seen somewhere that WMC does not work with some NAS devices (when running WMC on a PC) as there is problems with permission to access the files. But as the NetDisk is NDAS and shows up as a local drive and works well.

A Maxtor NAS is on order!
ijwuk

Postby risimmons » Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:14 am

I use a Buffalo Linkstation II 250GB (MIPS variant) running modified firmware to allow root access and a media server to be installed.

Modified firmware is Openlink 0.52b from http://www.linkstationwiki.org

Media server is Twonkymedia from http://www.twonkyvision.com

This is connected via wi-fi to my Soundbridge, using a Netgear834G wireless router.

I was very impressed with how this setup all worked together first time. The Soundbridge found my wireless network, I entered the WEP password, and it recognised the Linkstation media server automatically.

Browsing media files using the standard Soundbridge menus is somewhat slow (I'm serving ~50GB of music files). Browsing Server Containers (ie letting the server do the searching) is significantly faster, however the '+' key on the Soundbridge doesn't work in this configuration :-(

I have noticed a few times in the past few days that the Soundbridge decides to lose my wireless network (while my laptop is still happy with it). I end up needing to do a couple of resets and re-enter the WEP password a few times (very painful) before it will re-connect. I don't think this is anything to do with the Linkstation or Netgear router - seems to be a Soundbridge issue. Other than that it's all good
Roku 2 XS
risimmons

Postby toast » Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:39 am

Maxtor Shared Storage with a 300 GB harddrive

regards
toast
Roku Soundbridge M1001 - to listen to my music : )
Maxtor Shared Storage - to store my music (and whatever else)
ITunes - to rip my music and manage my library on the MSS
toast

Postby bpa » Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:09 am

I use a Asus WL-HDD with Twonkyvision.

The ASUS WL-HDD is the size of a small Wifi AP and has a 2.5 IDE drive. I have a 60Gb drive installed. Not only does it allow you to share your files wirelessly from the HDD, it can also act as an AP accepting clients onto the network, with security and DHCP features - so it provide me with my separate 802.11b media network as well as a file server and mediaserver it it is a little slow. As it has a USB 1.1. port it can support an external drive as well.
bpa

Postby spotfek » Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:31 pm

I am using twonkyvision running on Buffalo Terastation, like the linkstations, the firmware needs to be hacked to get root access, then it is just like linux and you can stick the server software on there, run it and add it to startup scripts so its always running.

Had no problems with it so far!
spotfek

uNSLUng and VMWARE

Postby JeepFever » Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:18 pm

Been using VMWare ESX with a virtualized xp machine running itunes so I can automatically get my podcasts! But dont like the 5 client limitation.

Recently uNSLUng an NSLU2 by Linksys and running mt-daap as my music server.

Using virtualized iTunes machine just for podcast receipt and storing the audio on the same disk share as the MT-DAAP server.

2 * Soundbridge 1000
3 * Soundbridge 500
2 * Photobridge 1000

Roku Rocks!
JeepFever

Me too for NSLU2 / mt-daapd

Postby markhood » Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:48 pm

I'm using the Linksys NSLU2 with Unslung V4.20 firmware and mt-daapd 0.2.3 with very good results. Two 250GB Lacie drives are attached, one a mirror of the other backed, up nightly. The NSLU2 is a backup server and a web host in addition to serving music.

I have about 25GB of high bitrate MP3 files on the primary disk. They're on a samba share and managed from iTunes running on an wireless XP laptop. I never use iTunes for purchasing music or playback, just as a CD ripper and librarian. All the music is played through wired Roku M1000 and M500 units (the Roku wireless functionality is incompatible with my wireless network).

0.2.3 is the stable version of mt-daapd but the nightlies are supposed to have much better playlist support.

New users should install Unslung 5.x instead of 4.20, which has some serious bugs in config management. Unslung 6.x is in alpha and incorporates the latest linksys firmware functionality for accessing NTFS drives.

Set up is easy but might intimidate some beginners. It would be great if a company like Roku could productize unslung and mt-daapd into something friendly for new users.
markhood

Next

Return to SoundBridge General Discussion