Will Roku support DIAL?

Moderators: RokuShawnS, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Will Roku support DIAL?

Postby Morac » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:42 pm

I'm wondering if Roku plans to support DIAL?

For those that don't know what it is, DIAL allows mobile apps to discover what apps a TV connected device on the same network supports and launch them directly. For example, browsing the Netflix or YouTube app on an iPad or iPhone, the user could select a video and simply choose play on "device" and the Netflix/YouTube app would launch on that device and play the selected video. It seems like it would be perfect for Roku.
Morac

Re: Will Roku support DIAL?

Postby trekkeriii » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:00 pm

Interesting idea, but no, Roku doesn't support it. Interesting that it seems that Netflix is the one who seems to be behind this technology in some fashion with support from Google, too. I guess they are trying to compete with AirPlay in a way.

Anyways, good chance we won't know until it's released or possibly on another generation of Roku. Roku doesn't announce or comment based on questions from Forum, Twitter, and/or Facebook posts.
Roku2 XS, 42" LCD, Ethernet (5.2)
Roku N1000, 25" CRT (3.1)
Router - Linksys WRT54G2
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
trekkeriii
** Valued Community Member **

Postby vnazario » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:51 am

You can use Twonky and Bleess to "AirPlay" to your Roku. Bleess works great but only available for iOS devices and not Android. Twonky has some limitations. Just know that you can only "AirPlay" to Roku from "Mobile layout websites". For example: m.filmon.tv. Does not work well on regular sites. You can also consider Plex to stream from bookmarked sites from your Plex server. I personally like Bleess app so no need for me to consider an ATV device. I use Plex, PlayOn and VideoBuzz for YouTube so AppleTV is not worth it. It has lost its edge to Roku now that Roku can "AirPlay" like the ATV.

Consider a jailbroken ATV2 with XBMC but you can use Roku with Plex/PlayOn and unsupported scripts for your "1channel" solutions and other content. Roku with Plex is a lot cheaper than a Jailbroken ATV2 solution.
vnazario

(2) Roku2 XS,Roku 1(New),Logitech Revue Google TV,Raspberry Pi+XBMC,Mac Mini HTPC-EyeTV DVR+Rabbit TV+PLEX+XBMC,TiVo Premier,Wii,PS3,Sony Blu Ray w/ streaming apps,Equiso Android TV
Local TV: QAM from ISP coax line. PLEX+unsupported plug-ins.
vnazario

Postby cemx86 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:53 am

The Roku 3 now supports DIAL for NetFlix and YouTube. Woot had refurbished ones for sale recently for $70. Right now they are $90 with $10 off at Roku.com.
cemx86

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion