Roku 3 Universal Remote

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Roku 3 Universal Remote

Postby getzk004 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:49 am

Hello,

I recently purchased a GE 25008 (version 5) Universal Remote from Target in hopes of pairing it for my Roku 3. Unfortunetly after calls to both GE Support (JascoProducts.com) and Roku support it seems inevitable that this remote is not compatible.

I tried asking both GE and Roku for a list of devices that were compatible but neither was able to provide me with that information. All that Roku support could tell me is that the Logitec Harmony Universal remotes were used as their confirmation. The code he provided "N1000" is not compatible with my GE Remote. Those Logitec remotes are expensive and I'm not interested in purchasing a remote for more that 20.00 unless I absolutely have to.

Can someone suggest or confirm for me a compatible Universal Remote Control that will work with the Roku 3?
getzk004

Re: Roku 3 Universal Remote

Postby Basil » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:29 pm

getzk004 wrote:Hello,

I recently purchased a GE 25008 (version 5) Universal Remote from Target in hopes of pairing it for my Roku 3. Unfortunetly after calls to both GE Support (JascoProducts.com) and Roku support it seems inevitable that this remote is not compatible.

I tried asking both GE and Roku for a list of devices that were compatible but neither was able to provide me with that information. All that Roku support could tell me is that the Logitec Harmony Universal remotes were used as their confirmation. The code he provided "N1000" is not compatible with my GE Remote. Those Logitec remotes are expensive and I'm not interested in purchasing a remote for more that 20.00 unless I absolutely have to.

Can someone suggest or confirm for me a compatible Universal Remote Control that will work with the Roku 3?

When looking for an IR remote that'll work with the Roku 3, keep in mind that it's the same as for any Roku device: 1st generation, Roku 2, or Roku 3. If the problem is you can't confirm it'll work on a Roku 3, be aware that if it'll work on a Roku anything, it'll work on a Roku 3. [Edit: Read the following by gonzotek for additional information about this.]

If the problem is finding something that'll work on any Roku, look for devices that specify Roku. I've seen them as cheap as $10 in places. I don't know about that remote you have specifically, but universal remotes that are compatible can be found, and can be reasonably cheap.
Last edited by Basil on Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Basil
http://www.basilsblog.com/
http://www.imao.us/
Roku 3, Roku 1, Roku LT; previous Roku HDMI Streaming Stick, Roku 2 XS, Roku 2 XD, Roku 2 HD, Roku XD|S, Roku HD
Also running Apple TV, TiVo/OTA, Simple.TV/OTA, Chromecast, Amazon Fire TV
Basil
** Valued Community Member **

Postby gonzotek » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:45 pm

Basil wrote:
getzk004 wrote:Hello,

When looking for an IR remote that'll work with the Roku 3, keep in mind that it's the same as for any Roku device: 1st generation, Roku 2, or Roku 3. If the problem is you can't confirm it'll work on a Roku 3, be aware that if it'll work on a Roku anything, it'll work on a Roku 3.

If the problem is finding something that'll work on any Roku, look for devices that specify Roku. I've seen them as cheap as $10 in places. I don't know about that remote you have specifically, but universal remotes that are compatible can be found, and can be reasonably cheap.

One caveat: There are Roku devices, such as the HD1000, from before the streaming video era of Roku, that could be controlled via remote. The codes for those early products are different than the codes for the streaming players. Some remote manuals/literature will list Roku compatibility, but do not document what kind of Roku they are compatible with.
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com
gonzotek

Postby lsc » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:05 pm

Get a learning remote and teach it the buttons from your Roku remote. The newer (last few years ) Sony's and One for All's will do this for the Roku 2 and 3 although they did not list the Roku.. Had no luck with a new Phillips that I tried first although it listed the Roku. Just buy it from a source where you can return it easily if it does not work.

The Harmony, although more expensive, works well with the Roku. The cheaper 300 is sufficient.
Roku 2 XS; ATT DSL; Netgear Wireless Gateway; Ethernet; LG 32" HDTV; HDMI; 1080p
lsc

Postby kc8pql » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:09 pm

lsc wrote:Get a learning remote and teach it the buttons from your Roku remote.

That won't work. The remote that ships with the R3 is WiFi, not IR.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql

Postby lsc » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:08 am

kc8pql wrote:

It will if you have an older Roku or can borrow the remote for one.
Roku 2 XS; ATT DSL; Netgear Wireless Gateway; Ethernet; LG 32" HDTV; HDMI; 1080p
lsc

Postby lsc » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:17 am

lsc wrote:
kc8pql wrote:

It will if you have an older Roku or can borrow the remote for one.

Actually, I thought I had used the original Roku remote to teach the Sony, but then needed and used the Roku 3 remote for the added (skip back and *) buttons. The BR remote for the 2XS did not work, but maybe I am remembering them wrong.
lsc

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion