Netflix Profiles Announced, but not for Roku?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Netflix Profiles Announced, but not for Roku?

Postby japzone » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:06 pm

Netflix has officially launched Profiles for it's service which separates Recommendations, Watch History, and Queue(US Only).
(https://contactus.netflix.com/article/en/node/10421)

It's been confirmed on these devices:
  • Website*
  • PS3*
  • Xbox 360
  • Apple TV
  • iOS(iPhone,iPad,iPod,etc...)
  • Select TVs, Blu-Ray players, and set top boxes
  • Wii(End of August/September)
  • Android(End of Year)
  • Roku(2014)
*You can add, edit, and delete profiles from the website and PS3

Noticeable on this list is Roku. Supposedly Roku devices will get it next year. As a devoted Roku fan who puts up with the lack of Youtube, this is severely hurting my faith in the product. I love the easy setup and usability but missing major services like Youtube(when almost all other settop boxes have it, including Apple TV) and taking so long to support major features of major services, is not good.

Please tell me that it will not take 6+ months for you to add a feature that my family is sorely needing. Especially when you still don't support the Just for Kids mode either.
Last edited by japzone on Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
japzone

Re: Netflix Profiles Announced, but not for Roku?

Postby Gilgamesh » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:23 pm

It is NOT Roku that prevents this to be on Roku. Roku does not write the channels and in this case Netflix is the writer and owner of the channel. Contact Netflix if you really want this.

Personally I see no value in it. I can find everything I want and my granddaughters can find everything they want just fine using Netflix's web site and/or "The Instant Watch Browser for Netflix." There just, to me, is no need to complicate Netflix's simple to use minimalist queue access with this needless fluff.
Gilgamesh

Postby Vaeku » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:49 pm

I'm not sure if it includes Roku, but that list you posted DOES say "select set-top boxes", and Roku is a set-top box.
Vaeku

Postby Basil » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:09 pm

Vaeku wrote:I'm not sure if it includes Roku, but that list you posted DOES say "select set-top boxes", and Roku is a set-top box.

ABC reports "early next year" for Roku.
Basil
http://www.basilsblog.com/
http://www.imao.us/
Roku 3, Roku HDMI Streaming Stick, Roku LT; previous Roku 2 XS, Roku 2 XD, Roku 2 HD, Roku XD|S, Roku HD
Also running Apple TV, TiVo/OTA, Simple.TV/OTA, Chromecast, Amazon Fire TV
Basil
** Valued Community Member **

Postby trekkeriii » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:50 pm

Basil wrote:
Vaeku wrote:I'm not sure if it includes Roku, but that list you posted DOES say "select set-top boxes", and Roku is a set-top box.

ABC reports "early next year" for Roku.

So assume it will be available the same time Game of Thrones Season 4 premieres (same promise of being early next year).
Roku2 XS, 42" LCD, Ethernet (5.5 b320)
Roku Stick HDMI, 32" LCD, WiFi (5.5 b2027)
Roku N1000, 25" CRT, Ethernet (3.1)
Router - Linksys WRT54G2
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
trekkeriii

Postby elwaylite » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:17 pm

Thats ridiculous. Apple TV is looking better every day...
elwaylite

Postby Basil » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:24 pm

elwaylite wrote:Thats ridiculous. Apple TV is looking better every day...

Apple TV is a good device. I use mine about 1/4 to 1/3 as much as I use my Roku.
Basil
Roku 3, Roku HDMI Streaming Stick, Roku LT; previous Roku 2 XS, Roku 2 XD, Roku 2 HD, Roku XD|S, Roku HD
Basil

Postby elwaylite » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:28 pm

Considering Id like WatchESPN, they have HBO Go, and now Netflix profiles that may just do it for me. I guess the fact they have sold over 13 million, and Roku is only over 5 million, it leaves us at the back of the bus.

I dont need Amazon access if I have iTunes.
elwaylite

Postby dboff01 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:32 pm

Honestly, I wonder what's happened with Netflix and Roku. They were once the first Netflix media streamer and now seem to be pretty low in the pecking order, with Roku's primary competition, the Apple TV getting this new feature early.

The Roku Netflix app is sorely in need of a refresh (basically looks/feels the same since my N1000) and this feature is a perfect example of one that would be quite useful in my household.
dboff01

Postby elwaylite » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:38 pm

I think it what has happened with some of the Blu-ray players. Big complaint with Oppo is you pay all this for the player, and their apps suck. I think only so much resources are available for app design, and it goes to the big sellers.

If you have a 360, PS3 or ATV you are gonna get this good stuff, while all others are hit and miss. Another reason Im on preorder for an Xbox One. It'll play blu-ray and have all the streaming goodies, I wont need 2 or 3 boxes.
elwaylite

Postby Basil » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:40 pm

elwaylite wrote:Considering Id like WatchESPN, they have HBO Go, and now Netflix profiles that may just do it for me. I guess the fact they have sold over 13 million, and Roku is only over 5 million, it leaves us at the back of the bus.

I dont need Amazon access if I have iTunes.

I don't have cable. So, WatchESPN does nothing for me; it requires authorization against a cable provider. No benefit from HBO GO, either; it also requires authorization against a cable provider.

Profiles for Netflix is good, though. And, if I had Netflix, it might mean something to me. I have Amazon Prime (had it before they added video to it; got it when it was shipping-only), so Roku brings that to the table for me.

So, Apple TV brings little to the table for me, but it does have value for me. I have some iTunes content I use it for. And, I use it if I want to stream any local content (AirPlay is smoother than using Roku, IMO). But, most of my viewing is streaming content, and most of that is done via Roku.

One other thing about Netflix: If I had a Netflix account, and if I wanted to use the profiles feature, and if I only had a Roku, I'd have to decide if I wanted to spend $99 for an Apple TV, or hold on to the money and wait for the feature to show up on Roku next year. But, that seems to describe you more than it does me. And you just need to decide what you want to do, and then go do it.
Basil
Basil

Postby elwaylite » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:48 pm

My real decision is sell the Roku 3 on ebay and grab an ATV now for a little difference in money, or just wait on the Xbox One. Ill probably just wait, but I think Im done with Roku at that point.
elwaylite

Postby dboff01 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:00 pm

When the largest media streaming service in the world (and the channel which represents your largest installed user base) has you just about last on the upgrade list for a major new feature, I think Roku should have some cause for concern.
dboff01

Postby turnerjazz » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:08 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:It is NOT Roku that prevents this to be on Roku. Roku does not write the channels and in this case Netflix is the writer and owner of the channel. Contact Netflix if you really want this.

That's definitely not true, at least not universally. I know that some of the apps are written by roku and not by the owners. For example, I recently contacted spotify about their app and they directed me to roku because they said roku created the app and not them. I don't know whether this is true of netflix or not, but it at least could be the case.

As for the value of the useless fluff, plenty of people don't agree with you.
turnerjazz

Postby turnerjazz » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:13 pm

dboff01 wrote:When the largest media streaming service in the world (and the channel which represents your largest installed user base) has you just about last on the upgrade list for a major new feature, I think Roku should have some cause for concern.

I have to agree. And since I only recently got a roku 3 I'm concerned too. I hope I didn't get on board just as the ship started to sink. I know I'm going to contact netflix and roku and encourage them both to hurry it up.
turnerjazz

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion