Netflix Profiles Announced, but not for Roku?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Re: Netflix Profiles Announced, but not for Roku?

Postby Lane03 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:50 am

At this point I too might throw in the towel and sell all 3 of my roku devices and buy Apple TVs. While I realize Roku has no control over what devices Netflix updates, it is clear Netflix has no interest in Roku anymore. I've had the Netflix freezing issues after an episode finishes for about a year now and still no fix (this doesn't occur on any of my blu ray players). Then Netflix added autoplay for episodes, but Roku has yet to get it, and now profiles. Very surprising considering the only way to stream Netflix on your TV for a long while was Roku.
Lane03

Postby Basil » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:19 am

Lane03 wrote:At this point I too might throw in the towel and sell all 3 of my roku devices and buy Apple TVs. While I realize Roku has no control over what devices Netflix updates, it is clear Netflix has no interest in Roku anymore. I've had the Netflix freezing issues after an episode finishes for about a year now and still no fix (this doesn't occur on any of my blu ray players). Then Netflix added autoplay for episodes, but Roku has yet to get it, and now profiles. Very surprising considering the only way to stream Netflix on your TV for a long while was Roku.

When did Apple TV get AutoPlay for Netflix?
Basil
http://www.basilsblog.com/
http://www.imao.us/
Roku 3, Roku HDMI Streaming Stick, Roku LT; previous Roku 2 XS, Roku 2 XD, Roku 2 HD, Roku XD|S, Roku HD
Also running Apple TV, TiVo/OTA, Simple.TV/OTA, Chromecast, Amazon Fire TV
Basil
** Valued Community Member **

Postby reddice » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:51 am

Lane03 wrote:At this point I too might throw in the towel and sell all 3 of my roku devices and buy Apple TVs. While I realize Roku has no control over what devices Netflix updates, it is clear Netflix has no interest in Roku anymore. I've had the Netflix freezing issues after an episode finishes for about a year now and still no fix (this doesn't occur on any of my blu ray players). Then Netflix added autoplay for episodes, but Roku has yet to get it, and now profiles. Very surprising considering the only way to stream Netflix on your TV for a long while was Roku.

I agree. The reason why I am keeping my Roku for now is the Amazon Instant channel.
Earthlink Standard powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Cats are the best pets.
reddice

Postby Lane03 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:48 am

Basil wrote:

When did Apple TV get AutoPlay for Netflix?

Not sure if it did, but when I borrowed my friends Apple TV it didn't have the episode freezing problem that the Roku has and the Apple TV did get the profile feature right away. Again, I realize this is not Roku's fault, but it is very frustrating for the consumer.
Lane03

Postby Basil » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:53 am

Lane03 wrote:
Basil wrote:When did Apple TV get AutoPlay for Netflix?

Not sure if it did, but when I borrowed my friends Apple TV it didn't have the episode freezing problem that the Roku has and the Apple TV did get the profile feature right away. Again, I realize this is not Roku's fault, but it is very frustrating for the consumer.

Apple TV is a good little device. I use my Roku more, but Apple has a winner there.

I've never had issues with Netflix freezing. Hulu Plus use to freeze a lot, a long time ago, but I've had no issues in the last year and a half or longer with any of the big channels.
Basil
Roku 3, Roku HDMI Streaming Stick, Roku LT; previous Roku 2 XS, Roku 2 XD, Roku 2 HD, Roku XD|S, Roku HD
Basil

Postby Trayf » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:46 am

RokuShawnS wrote:I can't say for certain when or if Netflix Profiles will be added

That "if" in there sure makes me nervous. I absolutely love my Rokus and recommend them to anyone who will listen, but not even knowing if that's a feature you're going to add is worrying. If Apple ever starts actually caring about the Apple TV and opens up a 3rd party app store for it, you guys are in for a rude awakening.
Trayf

Postby Basil » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:32 pm

Trayf wrote:
RokuShawnS wrote:I can't say for certain when or if Netflix Profiles will be added

That "if" in there sure makes me nervous. I absolutely love my Rokus and recommend them to anyone who will listen, but not even knowing if that's a feature you're going to add is worrying. If Apple ever starts actually caring about the Apple TV and opens up a 3rd party app store for it, you guys are in for a rude awakening.

He said "if" because Roku doesn't build the channel, Netflix does. Unless Netflix announces it will add it, no one from Roku can say that it will happen. Hence, "if."
Basil
Basil

Postby Basil » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:22 pm

beq wrote:Just curious... if Netflix devs already told Roku staff that they're working on profiles for the Roku channel, Roku can't let us know? ...

If Netflix told Roku it was coming, and if Netflix told Roku it was okay to tell us. I suspect, though, that unless and until Netflix announces it's coming for Roku (they mentioned other devices, but not Roku), Roku won't say anything other than "if."
Basil
Basil

Postby mikebdoss » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:13 pm

beq wrote:Just curious... if Netflix devs already told Roku staff that they're working on profiles for the Roku channel, Roku can't let us know? Even though Netflix already officially announced the profile feature?

Non-disclosure agreements are interesting things. Also, Roku likes to test features before announcing them, else have everyone moan and complain if they're a day late...
mikebdoss

Postby kc8pql » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:14 pm

It's become apparent over the years that Roku is almost always bound by NDAs with major channel owners.
Only rarely does the first announcement about a premium channel come from Roku. It's the channel owner first, or simultaneously.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql

Postby RokuShawnS » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:17 pm

NDAs are binding whether or not a feature is being worked on.

Let's say Netflix figured out how to stream toast to you, and offered it up on just the PS3 "and other streaming devices soon." Perhaps they decided not to put in the Roku, because it turns out streaming toast is a) expensive; and b) a niche market ((for some reason, only PS3 users want toast)). Roku wouldn't be able to say we're not getting toast because that NDA is in place, unless Netflix allows us to (and even then, we might not want to say anything anyway).

C. Shawn Smith

PS - That's just an example folks. Don't take it literally. Streaming Toast to the Roku will be out on ToastTV in late 2030.
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby mikebdoss » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:18 pm

RokuShawnS wrote:NDAs are binding whether or not a feature is being worked on.

Let's say Netflix figured out how to stream toast to you, and offered it up on just the PS3 "and other streaming devices soon." Perhaps they decided not to put in the Roku, because it turns out streaming toast is a) expensive; and b) a niche market ((for some reason, only PS3 users want toast)). Roku wouldn't be able to say we're not getting toast because that NDA is in place, unless Netflix allows us to (and even then, we might not want to say anything anyway).

C. Shawn Smith

PS - That's just an example folks. Don't take it literally. Streaming Toast to the Roku will be out on ToastTV in late 2030.

<Force equals mass times acceleration>. You got me all excited for toast!
mikebdoss

Postby Gilgamesh » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:22 pm

C. Shawn Smith

Toast I don't want or need. But when will we get the beer or the coffee or, even better, the Irish coffee channel. Inquiring minds NEED to know.
Gilgamesh

Postby Basil » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:25 pm

But the Apple TV has buttered toast!! And I read on HuffPo that Xbox One will have French Toast!! I'm gonna sell my Roku and get one of those!!1!11!
Basil
Basil

Postby RokuShawnS » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:26 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:

C. Shawn Smith

Toast I don't want or need. But when will we get the beer or the coffee or, even better, the Irish coffee channel. Inquiring minds NEED to know.

The Roku 3 (and projected Roku 4-6) won't have the processing power for beer or coffee.

And we're getting way off topic here :P (admittedly, my fault)

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

PreviousNext

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion