Netflix Profiles Announced, but not for Roku?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Re: Netflix Profiles Announced, but not for Roku?

Postby Gilgamesh » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:29 pm

Basil wrote:But the Apple TV has buttered toast!! And I read on HuffPo that Xbox One will have French Toast!! I'm gonna sell my Roku and get one of those!!1!11!

But "French Toast " is illegal in 13 states and Porto Rico. how are they getting around that? Geo-Blocking?
Gilgamesh

Postby Basil » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:32 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:
Basil wrote:But the Apple TV has buttered toast!! And I read on HuffPo that Xbox One will have French Toast!! I'm gonna sell my Roku and get one of those!!1!11!

But "French Toast " is illegal in 13 states and Porto Rico. how are they getting around that? Geo-Blocking?

Forum Rules:
Usage of VPNs to circumvent establish regional broadcast rules or regulations regarding French Toast should not be discussed on this forum. Be aware that if you post a question regarding the use of a VPN or illegal toast, OR you post a thread discussing bypassing regional restrictions on any breakfast breads, your thread will be locked immediately.

And they mean it, too.
Basil
http://www.basilsblog.com/
http://www.imao.us/
Roku 3, Roku 1, Roku LT; previous Roku HDMI Streaming Stick, Roku 2 XS, Roku 2 XD, Roku 2 HD, Roku XD|S, Roku HD
Also running Apple TV, TiVo/OTA, Simple.TV/OTA, Chromecast, Amazon Fire TV
Basil
** Valued Community Member **

Postby kc8pql » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:59 pm

From this report: http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/netflix-rolls-tool-profile-viewers-19835219

The new feature initially will only be available on Netflix's own website and several other viewing outlets, including the iPad, iPhone, Apple TV, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Apple TV and some smart TV models. It may take up to two weeks before the profiles choice pops up in these options. Profiles should be available on the Wii console before the end of August and on Android devices before the end of the year. Netflix subscribers who use Netflix on Roku's set-top box probably won't be able to use profiles on that device until early next year.

That's probably as definitive as it's going to get for now.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql

Postby reddice » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:03 pm

I wonder since the Netflix channel does not support profiles what happens if you load another profile on the website will it only load that profile on the Roku Netflix? I don't know because I only have one profile.
Earthlink Extreme powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony PS4 all Wired.
Cats are the best pets.
reddice

Postby RokuShawnS » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:22 pm

I haven't tested yet (plan on doing it tomorrow), but I imagine the "Profile" is just an extra column in their database. In such a case, the Roku would likely ignore that column, and just pull up everything within the database. On a PS3, however, the channel would likely first query that column, and display only those titles that correspond to that datum.

That's how I'd do it anyway :shock:

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby DaBronx » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:31 pm

If I go to the Netflix website I do not have the profiles option yet however on my ps3 it is working, set up 2 this afternoon but they do not show on the Netflix site or my Roku.

I called Netflix and the cs rep said it would take up to 2 weeks for the feature to roll out to all, even on their own website.

brett
Roku2 XS #13A164000326, Roku3 (still in factory sealed box), Roku1, wired to Netgear WND 3700 router, 100 mb cable broadband, Samsung 50" 720p plasma tv, (Subscriber- Hulu+, Netflix, HBOGO, EPIX HD, 2014 MLB.TV Premium)
DaBronx

Postby callanish » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:47 pm

My wdtv live and wdtv play boxes have been updated with multiple profile access. When I sign into Netflix, I'm given user account options to sign into. I've got two and they are both up and running. There's also a box in the Netflix user UI that let's me switch to a different profile. The Roku box, with both profiles installed just goes to the main netflix user account's profile.

I'm guessing Roku sells a <The entropy of a perfect crystal, at absolute zero kelvin, is exactly equal to zero. - Third Law of Thermodynamics> of a lot more boxes than western digital, so if WD are up and running with this multiple profile feature already, surely Roku can't be that far behind.
callanish

Postby Basil » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:47 pm

DaBronx wrote:If I go to the Netflix website I do not have the profiles option yet however on my ps3 it is working, set up 2 this afternoon but they do not show on the Netflix site or my Roku.

I called Netflix and the cs rep said it would take up to 2 weeks for the feature to roll out to all, even on their own website.

brett

Or... log in, go to https://movies.netflix.com/EditProfiles, and start adding.
Basil
http://www.basilsblog.com/
http://www.imao.us/
Roku 3, Roku 1, Roku LT; previous Roku HDMI Streaming Stick, Roku 2 XS, Roku 2 XD, Roku 2 HD, Roku XD|S, Roku HD
Also running Apple TV, TiVo/OTA, Simple.TV/OTA, Chromecast, Amazon Fire TV
Basil

Postby mikeyts » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:07 pm

Once I created profiles, they work on my Panasonic DMP-BDT220 and WD TV Live. When the player comes up it asks "Who's watching?" and let's you choose one of the profiles, and "Profiles" is one of a set of buttons above the browser, along with "Search" and "Just for Kids" (renamed "Netflix Kids" on the TV Live). As I stated above it works on the website, but there's no sign of it in the Win8 app, Xbox 360, TiVo Premiere or my Nexus 7.
mikeyts

Postby KennyJ » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:31 pm

Hmm.. well I might get profiles on my Wii U before my Roku.

I hate that Roku is consistently last in Netflix updates. The Roku is still hands down my favorite streaming device, but this crap pisses me off.
KennyJ

Postby mikeyts » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:10 pm

It actually put the idea of sharing my account with my aunt in my head. I don't want other people placing things on my IQ or messing up my bookmarks though. It turned out that her 3 y/o Samsung TV's Netflix player doesn't have profiles (yet) and her only other streamer is a Roku.
mikeyts

Postby mikeyts » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:21 pm

I tried a few more things: the Panasonic DMP-BDT110 does not have profiles, but the Sony BDP-S390 does. Of course, the PS3 does as well and is the only embedded player I've found with which I could add new profiles.
mikeyts

Postby DaBronx » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:00 am

Basil wrote:
DaBronx wrote:If I go to the Netflix website I do not have the profiles option yet however on my ps3 it is working, set up 2 this afternoon but they do not show on the Netflix site or my Roku.

brett

Or... log in, go to https://movies.netflix.com/EditProfiles, and start adding.

Thank you!

brett
Roku2 XS #13A164000326, Roku3 (still in factory sealed box), Roku1, wired to Netgear WND 3700 router, 100 mb cable broadband, Samsung 50" 720p plasma tv, (Subscriber- Hulu+, Netflix, HBOGO, EPIX HD, 2014 MLB.TV Premium)
DaBronx

Postby Avidan » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:55 pm

This is something I have been looking forward to for a long time. I just hope Roku gets the updated app soon, and I hope it's for all Roku boxes, not just Roku 2 and up. I still have my N1000, and I'm going to keep it as long as it works.
Roku: 1st Gen N1000
Internet Connection: U-verse 7Mbps DSL
Router: Cisco E1000 N+ Wireless Router
A/V: HDMI connected to AOC 22" 720p LCD HDTV
Avidan

Postby mikeyts » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:27 pm

An update to the N1000's Netflix player seems pretty unlikely (or a Netflix player on any device as old as that, Roku or not), but you're free to hope :).
mikeyts

PreviousNext

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion