Netflix Profiles Announced, but not for Roku?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Re: Netflix Profiles Announced, but not for Roku?

Postby Basil » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:05 pm

reddice wrote:...A simple major HTML 5 update for the Roku 3 Netflix channel would fix this and you will have your profiles...

There's that "simple major update" again.

A major update is, by definition, not simple.
Basil
http://www.basilsblog.com/
http://www.imao.us/
Roku 3, Roku HDMI Streaming Stick, Roku LT; previous Roku 2 XS, Roku 2 XD, Roku 2 HD, Roku XD|S, Roku HD
Also running Apple TV, TiVo/OTA, Simple.TV/OTA, Chromecast, Amazon Fire TV
Basil
** Valued Community Member **

Postby Gilgamesh » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:46 pm

TheEndless wrote:Actually, it was changed a couple of years ago when Netflix switched from listing seasons individually on their site and in their catalog to grouping all seasons into a single series listing. It used to be that you'd have to add individual seasons to your queue. Here's an old thread from when they started making the shift: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=37521

Boy my old brain must be really failing. I don't remember it ever being the the other way around at all. It clearly happened and it happened well after my join date here. I must have noticed it but blocked it out.

Sorry for posting bad information. :oops:

They do say that as we age memory is the first thing to go. I forget what the second thing is. :wink:
Gilgamesh

Postby mikeyts » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:52 pm

TheEndless wrote:Actually, it was changed a couple of years ago when Netflix switched from listing seasons individually on their site and in their catalog to grouping all seasons into a single series listing. It used to be that you'd have to add individual seasons to your queue. Here's an old thread from when they started making the shift: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=37521

I remember that. It really screwed up the Netflix player on TiVo Series 3 which had a 100 episode limit :mrgreen:.
mikeyts

Postby Trayf » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:22 am

Has anyone set up profiles and tried it on the Roku yet? Does it just list everything or only list a single profile without acknowledging the others? I'd love to set this up and separate my kids' stuff from my own so that it's already done when the Roku gets the update, but don't want to lose their stuff on the Roku.
Trayf

Postby Basil » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:49 am

Trayf wrote:Has anyone set up profiles and tried it on the Roku yet? Does it just list everything or only list a single profile without acknowledging the others? I'd love to set this up and separate my kids' stuff from my own so that it's already done when the Roku gets the update, but don't want to lose their stuff on the Roku.

You must have missed the part that said that profiles aren't supported on the Roku yet. ABC reports they may be there after first of the year.
Basil
Roku 3, Roku HDMI Streaming Stick, Roku LT; previous Roku 2 XS, Roku 2 XD, Roku 2 HD, Roku XD|S, Roku HD
Basil

Postby Skolvikings » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:35 am

Considering we still don't have the kids view yet in the Roku Netflix app (which has been available for what? Two years now on other platforms?) I'm not holding my breath about getting the profiles feature anytime soon. I just moved my Xbox 360 to the bedroom and showed my 7 year old how to launch Netflix and choose her profile. The new feature is going to be on the WiiU before the end of August, so we'll be covered on the downstairs TV.

I love my Roku, I really do, but I hate being last or having to miss out on features. C'mon Roku, fix this!
Skolvikings

Postby Skolvikings » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:39 am

Basil wrote:
reddice wrote:...A simple major HTML 5 update for the Roku 3 Netflix channel would fix this and you will have your profiles...

There's that "simple major update" again.

A major update is, by definition, not simple.

If Netflix can make HTML5 based apps for the PS3, PC, Apple TV, Xbox, bluray players, etc., they can do it for the Roku too. If not, it's a flaw with the Roku platform. Either way, as a customer of both Netflix and Roku, this sucks. I have zero interest in cheerleading for Roku or making excuses. I just want the same basic Netflix features to be available regardless of the device I'm using. If the Roku Netflix app doesn't get "Just for Kids" and the new profiles feature soon, an Apple TV might make my Christmas shopping list. That's not a threat or bluster, it's just reality. At least for me.
Skolvikings

Postby hvusnme » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:12 am

Trayf wrote:Has anyone set up profiles and tried it on the Roku yet? Does it just list everything or only list a single profile without acknowledging the others? I'd love to set this up and separate my kids' stuff from my own so that it's already done when the Roku gets the update, but don't want to lose their stuff on the Roku.

I was wondering about this too. I know the profiles wont work. But is it just going to show the "original/default" profile or is it going to mix them all together???
hvusnme

Postby RokuShawnS » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:26 am

hvusnme wrote:

I was wondering about this too. I know the profiles wont work. But is it just going to show the "original/default" profile or is it going to mix them all together???

Whatever is the main account (the account you started with before the profiles) is what the Roku "sees" as far as I can tell.

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby Basil » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:39 am

RokuShawnS wrote:Whatever is the main account (the account you started with before the profiles) is what the Roku "sees" as far as I can tell.

Yes. Once profiles are set up (via the Website), and you add content to the profile, there is no impact to what the Roku sees. It sees the main/original profile, even if you rename the profile.
Basil
Basil

Postby dboff01 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:41 am

RokuShawnS wrote:
hvusnme wrote:

Whatever is the main account (the account you started with before the profiles) is what the Roku "sees" as far as I can tell.

C. Shawn Smith

This is what I'm seeing since I've added a new profile on the website for my daughter and renamed our primary profile for my wife and I.

I'm also seeing a display problem on the Roku Netflix app whereby I changed my main profile name to "Wife's Name & My Name". The ampersand is displaying something like "Wife's name & My Name"
dboff01

Postby Basil » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:42 am

dboff01 wrote:I'm also seeing a display problem on the Roku Netflix app whereby I changed my main profile name to "Wife's Name & My Name". The ampersand is displaying something like "Wife's name & My Name"

That's the HTML encoding of the ampersand character. The fact they're showing up now probably means that Roku was never anticipating special characters in the field, since it was originally a name field, and most names don't contain special characters. Now that the field is either accepting special characters (which Netflix is encoding for security reasons) and Roku is displaying them as-is, or Netflix is storing them without encoding them (bad security) and Roku is HTML encoding them before display.

From personal experience, characters like this are always a PITA to encode, unencode, and so on. There's & &amp; as well as > &gt; and < &lt; and a whole slew of characters.
Basil
Basil

Postby reddice » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:55 am

When I created the main profile on the PS3 I changed the name that was Hugo on my account to my nickname Tony and it shows Tony in the Roku. I currently only have one profile but I wanted to hook up other people like my Grandmother once she gets a new TV to Netflix. I was thinking about giving her my Roku but since the Roku crappy Netflix channel does not have profiles it is useless to her. I will end up just getting her a streaming bluray player which has profiles and keep the Roku for Amazon Instant.
Earthlink Standard powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony PS4 all Wired. Chromecast Wireless.
Cats are the best pets.
reddice

Postby Basil » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:01 pm

reddice wrote:When I created the main profile on the PS3 I changed the name that was Hugo on my account to my nickname Tony and it shows Tony in the Roku. I currently only have one profile but I wanted to hook up other people like my Grandmother once she gets a new TV to Netflix. I was thinking about giving her my Roku but since the Roku crappy Netflix channel does not have profiles it is useless to her. I will end up just getting her a streaming bluray player which has profiles and keep the Roku for Amazon Instant.

If all you're looking for is Netflix for your grandmother, you may want to check to see if a TV with a built-in Netflix app is comparably priced. You may save some money and still make granny happy in the process.
Basil
Basil

Postby mikeyts » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:51 pm

mikeyts wrote:...there's no sign of it in the Win8 app, Xbox 360, TiVo Premiere or my Nexus 7.

Profiles have now appeared in the Xbox 360 Netflix player.
mikeyts

PreviousNext

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion