Netflix Profiles Announced, but not for Roku?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Re: Netflix Profiles Announced, but not for Roku?

Postby Emissary35 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:38 pm

Iknow I'm going to contact netflix and roku and encourage them both to hurry it up.

Good luck with that as far as contacting netflix is concerned. I've spoken to them countless times about issues and things that would improve the site and the Roku app and all they will ever do is be polite and tell you everything you want to hear, promise your suggestions will get consideration and then nothing happens. I just spoke to them yesterday and I was told soon the profiles feature would be available, now I found out it's not until next year. Netlfix doesn' care about customer service, they still haven't added an option to disable autoplay on the site that a lot of people hate and it's been there for over a year. This and lack of youtube makes it look like Roku is definitely at the end of the line in streaming at this point in time. My advice, if you need a new streaming box don't just jump on another Roku blindly, examine what is going on first and get what will be best for the future not past performance.
Emissary35

Postby lgs » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:40 pm

One simple fix Netflix could do that would work for ALL legacy devices that are used by one person (kids' bedroom, etc.) is to allow setting a default profile per device on the website. Strangely, I can't see the list of devices there now though. Didn't that use to be possible?

I have 2x N1000, a Boxee Box, and a three year old Vizio TV. I don't expect to see software updates on any of these.
lgs

Postby Basil » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:45 pm

lgs wrote:One simple fix Netflix could do that would work for ALL legacy devices that are used by one person (kids' bedroom, etc.) is to allow setting a default profile per device on the website. Strangely, I can't see the list of devices there now though. Didn't that use to be possible?

I have 2x N1000, a Boxee Box, and a three year old Vizio TV. I don't expect to see software updates on any of these.

Not specifically addressing your suggestion, but rather the change in devices listed on the Netflix Website. Yes, Netflix used to have the devices listed and allowed you to unlink a device there. Today, if I want to unlink a device, unless there's a way on the interface app on the device (some do, some don't) then the only way is to unlink all, then relink the ones I want to keep. I really miss the ability to unlink one. And, if they brought it back listing devices, perhaps it would be possible to implement something like you say. That would be great for my grandchildren, who share a Netflix family account, and each have their own Roku box.
Basil
http://www.basilsblog.com/
http://www.imao.us/
Roku 3, Roku HDMI Streaming Stick, Roku LT; previous Roku 2 XS, Roku 2 XD, Roku 2 HD, Roku XD|S, Roku HD
Also running Apple TV, TiVo/OTA, Simple.TV/OTA, Chromecast, Amazon Fire TV
Basil
** Valued Community Member **

Postby redrock » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:49 pm

hvusnme wrote:
Trayf wrote:Has anyone set up profiles and tried it on the Roku yet? Does it just list everything or only list a single profile without acknowledging the others? I'd love to set this up and separate my kids' stuff from my own so that it's already done when the Roku gets the update, but don't want to lose their stuff on the Roku.

I was wondering about this too. I know the profiles wont work. But is it just going to show the "original/default" profile or is it going to mix them all together???

Just had the grandkids use the Netflix Profiles on a Samsung SmartTV for a week with no problem, it was great for us and them. Now the Roku Netflix channel displays a combination of content of all the profiles, and combination of Recommended videos. Yuk!!! Ugly.

Postby TheEndless » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:53 pm

redrock wrote:Just had the grandkids use the Netflix Profiles on a Samsung SmartTV for a week with no problem, it was great for us and them. Now the Roku Netflix channel displays a combination of content of all the profiles, and combination of Recommended videos. Yuk!!! Ugly.

I'm not seeing this behavior at all. I only see the queue and recommendations from the primary profile...?
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Justin.tv (JUSTINTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless

Postby redrock » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:07 pm

TheEndless wrote:
redrock wrote:Just had the grandkids use the Netflix Profiles on a Samsung SmartTV for a week with no problem, it was great for us and them. Now the Roku Netflix channel displays a combination of content of all the profiles, and combination of Recommended videos. Yuk!!! Ugly.

I'm not seeing this behavior at all. I only see the queue and recommendations from the primary profile...?

Not only did we set up Profiles, but actually used 3 of them to actually watch numerous videos on each. On the SmartTV app, Netflix videos Viewed, and Recomendations are isolated to each profile. On Roku, the Netflix channel displays a combination of content from the profiles where we watched videos, and a combination of Recomendations based on videos watched from the different profiles.
redrock

Postby kc8pql » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:11 pm

^ Which could explain a bit about why Roku won't get profiles until after the first of the year. Sounds like the channel is going to need a rewrite.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql

Postby TheEndless » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:27 pm

redrock wrote:
TheEndless wrote:

Not only did we set up Profiles, but actually used 3 of them to actually watch numerous videos on each. On the SmartTV app, Netflix videos Viewed, and Recomendations are isolated to each profile. On Roku, the Netflix channel displays a combination of content from the profiles where we watched videos, and a combination of Recomendations based on videos watched from the different profiles.

That's odd. I have a second profile with completely different titles queued, and only the videos from the primary profile show up in the queue in the Roku Netflix channel. I'd actually prefer that they get combined until Roku gets profile support, but that's not the case on my end. I wasn't, however, offered the profiles option on my Netflix account, by default. I had to go specifically to the EditProfiles page to access the feature, so maybe that's the difference.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Justin.tv (JUSTINTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless

Postby jeffrok » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:33 pm

kc8pql wrote:^ Which could explain a bit about why Roku won't get profiles until after the first of the year. Sounds like the channel is going to need a rewrite.

Usually with a change like this, the re-write is done to allow future changes, not the other way around.. Surprised they didn't build the functionality into the code before they rolled this out to the other platforms.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz
jeffrok

Postby redrock » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:00 pm

Also it may be that it takes time for the Recomendations changes to filter through based on the total aggregate viewer experience. I don't know how often Netflix revises what it displays, I know it did not happen right away. They must use a complex algorithm to determine Recommendations -- I assume its based on the total aggregate interactions with their system.
redrock

Postby TVNic » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:31 pm

It's frustrating too. We just set up profiles for my son (5 yrs old), my husband, and one for me. But when hubby went to watch Netflix the other day all his recommendations were cartoons and shows my son watched on Roku Netflix. Apparently, since my husband's is the original account, he still gets whatever my son watches on Roku. It's sort of annoying since they can't both experience the dedicated profiles. My husband watches adult-themed shows (rated R and such) that I don't want my son seeing which is why I was so happy about the new profiles.

Btw, they have an option on the Netflix site itself to flag your profile as "Under Age 12" which I did for my son's so they don't recommend or show anything rated over their age range. I love that but too bad Roku doesn't have the ability for profiles, yet. :?
TVNic

Postby japzone » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:20 pm

Basil wrote:
lgs wrote:One simple fix Netflix could do that would work for ALL legacy devices that are used by one person (kids' bedroom, etc.) is to allow setting a default profile per device on the website. Strangely, I can't see the list of devices there now though. Didn't that use to be possible?

Not specifically addressing your suggestion, but rather the change in devices listed on the Netflix Website. Yes, Netflix used to have the devices listed and allowed you to unlink a device there. Today, if I want to unlink a device, unless there's a way on the interface app on the device (some do, some don't) then the only way is to unlink all, then relink the ones I want to keep. I really miss the ability to unlink one. And, if they brought it back listing devices, perhaps it would be possible to implement something like you say. That would be great for my grandchildren, who share a Netflix family account, and each have their own Roku box.

Probably because Netflix essentially removed the limit on the number of devices you can link to your account. Why prioritize keeping the list working when nobody is struggling with managing devices anymore? At least that's my takeaway.
japzone

Postby mjpm » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:26 pm

I noticed this morning that I now have profiles on my online Netflix account, but not yet on Roku. I called Netflix to ask when I might expect to see profiles on my Roku. I was told it should be very soon as they are rolling profiles out to all devices beginning this week.
----------------------------
Cut the FIOS cord on 4/2/12.
mjpm

Postby mikeyts » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:43 pm

mjpm wrote:I noticed this morning that I now have profiles on my online Netflix account, but not yet on Roku.

Huh. It was usable before, if you knew the "manage profiles" url, but now it's up front and in your face. I wonder when they'll get it into the Win8 Netflix app.
mikeyts

Postby Tekneek » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:00 am

mjpm wrote:I noticed this morning that I now have profiles on my online Netflix account, but not yet on Roku. I called Netflix to ask when I might expect to see profiles on my Roku. I was told it should be very soon as they are rolling profiles out to all devices beginning this week.

One of our Vizio TVs supports the profiles, while the other does not. Obviously none of the three Roku devices do. Not entirely a bad situation, just means using computers, iPhones, or iPads for the profiles when in the other rooms.
Tekneek

PreviousNext

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion