Netflix Connection Issue August 2013

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Netflix Connection Issue August 2013

Postby j_walden2006 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:26 am

Howdy folks! My Netflix went down about 1:30 AM. It was on screen saver mode while I was feeding my baby. All of the sudden, ROKU rebooted on its own. Every other channel works fine. It is 12:24 PM CST and Netflix is still not connecting. Netflix appears like it is working but when I push play on any show/movie, the connection issue notice pops up. My Netflix works fine while streaming on my computer.
j_walden2006

Re: Netflix Connection Issue August 2013

Postby Basil » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:37 am

j_walden2006 wrote:Howdy folks! My Netflix went down about 1:30 AM. It was on screen saver mode while I was feeding my baby. All of the sudden, ROKU rebooted on its own. Every other channel works fine. It is 12:24 PM CST and Netflix is still not connecting. Netflix appears like it is working but when I push play on any show/movie, the connection issue notice pops up. My Netflix works fine while streaming on my computer.

Any other channels having problems, or is it just Netflix?
Basil
http://www.basilsblog.com/
http://www.imao.us/
Roku 3, Roku HDMI Streaming Stick, Roku LT; previous Roku 2 XS, Roku 2 XD, Roku 2 HD, Roku XD|S, Roku HD
Also running Apple TV, TiVo/OTA, Simple.TV/OTA, Chromecast, Amazon Fire TV
Basil
** Valued Community Member **

Postby j_walden2006 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:42 am

Only Netflix. Everything else works fine. Netflix works fine on PC just not on ROKU
j_walden2006

Postby Basil » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:52 am

j_walden2006 wrote:Only Netflix. Everything else works fine. Netflix works fine on PC just not on ROKU

You might not like this, but try removing the Netflix channel from your Roku, restart it (not a reset, just a restart; you can unplug it, wait a few seconds, plug it back in). After restart, re-add the channel (it's at the top of the Movies & TV section). Go ahead and launch the channel from there. You'll have to provide email address and password for your Netflix account. Then try it.

If all works, everything should be back to normal. Except that Netflix is now at the end of your list of channels. You may want to move it back to whereever it is now.
Basil
http://www.basilsblog.com/
http://www.imao.us/
Roku 3, Roku HDMI Streaming Stick, Roku LT; previous Roku 2 XS, Roku 2 XD, Roku 2 HD, Roku XD|S, Roku HD
Also running Apple TV, TiVo/OTA, Simple.TV/OTA, Chromecast, Amazon Fire TV
Basil
** Valued Community Member **

Postby Gilgamesh » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:59 am

j_walden2006 wrote:Only Netflix. Everything else works fine. Netflix works fine on PC just not on ROKU

Which is a meaningless comparison. Roku uses different streams from different CDNs than computers.

You can try changing DNS servers in your router. Many times a different DNS server will correct issues with a single channel.

Try these one at a time. You only need to change the primary DNS as Roku does not ever use any others. You would need to test each one for a bit of time to be sure there is an improvement.
Google DNS ( 8.8.8.8 )
Google DNS secondary ( 8.8.4.4 )
OpenDNS ( 208.67.222.222 )
Open DNS secondary ( 208.67.220.220 )
Level3 DNS ( 4.2.2.2 )

You can also use NameBench to find some good DNS servers for you but the servers returned still need to be tested as NameBench only tests the speed of the DNS server not the route it returns.
Gilgamesh

Postby j_walden2006 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:03 am

You're my new Hero!!! The whole family is squealing like guinea pigs lol Thank You So Much!!! Never thought of deleting the channel
j_walden2006

Postby Gilgamesh » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:15 am

j_walden2006 wrote:...The whole family is squealing like guinea pigs lol...

I really, really, really hope that is a reference elation not to "Deliverance."
Gilgamesh

Postby j_walden2006 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:06 pm

hahaha I actually refuse to watch that movie (never seen it) b/c my hubby always makes those eery sounds as a joke lol
j_walden2006

Postby Gilgamesh » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:02 pm

j_walden2006 wrote:hahaha I actually refuse to watch that movie (never seen it) b/c my hubby always makes those eery sounds as a joke lol

You're missing a pretty great movie. It is quite disturbing but very very good. Like, but different than: "Invasion of the Body Snatchers(original)," "Silence of the Lambs," "Dog Day Afternoon," "The Exorcist," "Clockwork Orange," "The Birds," "Cry Freedom," "Psycho," "Klute," "1984(original)," "Marathon Man(The dentist scene is one of the most disturbing ever put on film.)," "Vertigo," and many many others. (Particularly Hitchcock movies)

Of course the "disturbing" aspect of many movies is a turn off for quite a few folks but that aspect is one of the draws for me. I would never "not watch" a movie just because it disturbs me. Well there is on exception; I never willingly watched "Fatal Attraction." My ex-wife did force me to watch it once however. It was quite good but it frightened me too much.

Now thinking about that makes me want to browse around Netflix, Amazon Prime, and my local files on my Roku to find a disturbing, suspenseful thriller to watch.

How about how I morphed a pretty much "off topic" post into being at least somewhat about Roku? :twisted: :wink: :mrgreen:
Gilgamesh

Postby j_walden2006 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:29 pm

lol You played it Very Well! Go Roku haha
j_walden2006

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion