REDBOX

Moderators: RokuShawnS, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

REDBOX

Postby AngeLuv » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:20 am

Hello,
I signed up for Redbox online and have tried to set it up with my roku player I have gen 3 player, and I cannot get it to work. Am I doing something wrong, or will the newest roku not work with Redbox? thank you in advance for your replies
AngeLuv

Re: REDBOX

Postby knuckle » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:09 am

Hi Angeluv,

is the channel not loading or won't let you sign in or what?
ROKU 1 XD J0A113014862
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
all hooked wireless via Linksys WRT54G running tomato firmware

favorite channel-- Justin TV
knuckle
** Valued Community Member **

Postby dssonic » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:15 am

I have a Roku 3 and can enter the Redbox channel and browse the titles (don't have a subscription so have not actually played a movie). I would uninstall, then reinstall the channel and see if it works. Sometimes unplugging the Roku then plugging it back in will also solve a variety of issues.
dssonic

Postby workerdummy » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:21 pm

I started using the Redbox app today and am getting a "Hmm" error message for everything I try to do and while watching a movie. Clicking OK lets it continue. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the app and rebooted my Roku 2XS.

I've submitted a trouble ticket to Redbox. We'll see what kind of support they have.

Edit: Great...now it just started rebuffering, popped up the error message and froze. Had to do a reboot.

I guess I won't be using the app again until it's fixed. I won't be holding my breath.
Last edited by workerdummy on Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
workerdummy

Postby Moogly » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:33 pm

So far, I think it's horrible. The videos are jerky, the HD is not HD at all and the SD vids are on par with VHS quality. I highly doubt it will be a keeper in my house.
I have no trouble at all with any other channels such as Netflix, Hulu Plus or any others. Redbox is crap, I had high hopes for it.
Moogly

Postby shellofsnail » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:51 pm

Moogly wrote:So far, I think it's horrible. The videos are jerky, the HD is not HD at all and the SD vids are on par with VHS quality. I highly doubt it will be a keeper in my house.
I have no trouble at all with any other channels such as Netflix, Hulu Plus or any others. Redbox is crap, I had high hopes for it.

Amen, Moogly—on every count. Redbox Instant is an embarrassment.
shellofsnail

Postby lion7718 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:57 pm

shellofsnail wrote:Amen, Moogly—on every count. Redbox Instant is an embarrassment.

I expected as much considering it's run by Version...
lion7718

Postby Moogly » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:44 pm

I doubt we will even finish the free month.
Moogly

Postby RokuShawnS » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:51 pm

I'll forward this thread over to the engineers tomorrow morning to have a look. I'd also suggest contacting Redbox support right away as well.

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby workerdummy » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:54 pm

RokuShawnS wrote:I'll forward this thread over to the engineers tomorrow morning to have a look. I'd also suggest contacting Redbox support right away as well.

C. Shawn Smith

Already have and they are looking into it. Encouraging.
workerdummy

Postby lsc » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:13 am

No problems here the last few days. Except with the content and price. The streaming seems to work well. Had some log in problems last week but that has been resolved for now.
Roku 2 XS; ATT DSL; Netgear Wireless Gateway; Ethernet; LG 32" HDTV; HDMI; 1080p
lsc

Postby workerdummy » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:18 am

I don't know if Redbox or Roku did something, but the app works fine now.

I do agree about the limited content though. I could only find 20 things I was even remotely interested in watching, and they were all things I've already watched.
workerdummy

Postby shellofsnail » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:36 pm

I have yet to see, as of ten minutes ago, any improvement with this app.

SD is unwatchable in quality. HD looks about on par, in terms of bitrate and clarity, with SD elsewhere. Every single title I streamed looked choppy. Some, like The Unbearable Lightness of Being, look really, outrageously choppy. Others, like The Unforgiven and Triumph of the Spirit, are distorted. And there are more distorted, "bad encodes" on Redbox Instant than I have seen anywhere else.

Ironically, one of the only titles I sampled that plays without choppiness is The Story of Gilbert and Sullivan, which looks choppy when played via the EpixHD app. Because EpixHD is the provider of this title, and it plays back choppy on their native app, I suspect this has something to do with the way each individual provider performs deinterlacing, and have inquired about this in another thread to no avail.

For a point of comparison, try the 2-minute previews of Meet Me in St. Louis and/or Black and White on Vudu. Then start streaming them on Redbox Instant. If you have a properly calibrated 1080p display, you will see a vast difference.
shellofsnail

Postby FredNugent69 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:26 pm

First of all, I'm glad I'm still watching 'SD' because these over hyped flat screens seem to be a nightmare for most people. Then when they get their TVs calibrated to where they want it, they turn into some kind of snob it seems. This whole HD nightmare has made alot of people watching hrs. or viewing time a living <The entropy of a perfect crystal, at absolute zero kelvin, is exactly equal to zero. - Third Law of Thermodynamics>. You do realize it's because of this HD stuff that makes SD look bad only because it sucks the bandwidth like bloody <The entropy of a perfect crystal, at absolute zero kelvin, is exactly equal to zero. - Third Law of Thermodynamics> 10 times more than just watching it in SD. So SD watchers think their pictures are bad because HD would make it so much better. Rubbish. You woud get a flat screen version of a movie upconverted and calibrated to what you think would look like the real thing from the cinema. Only a handful can actually do this. The rest watch movies in 4:3 stretched across the screen thinking it's wide!!!

Now with Redbox. This app was a little buggy but it works just fine now. At least for me. It's got a lot of benefits that are great that I laid out in another thread. ONE thing I think Alot of the people who have HD and Complain is something even I've noticed on my glorious, outdated SD TV. There have been a few movies that start out looking terrible. I figure it's the Adative Bitrate thing that Netflix does but I back the movie up after 5 minutes to see what it looks like at the 0.30 mark and it's still blocky in the areas I had seen it before. I realize then that the movie has been encoded that way and no HD in the world would straighten that out!! So it's only been on a few movies.

This crap about, they only have about 20 things I want to watch is like so far out there like Pluto man!! There's nearly 4,000 movies on Redbox now so I call BS on that. You remind me of the guys that would walk into my video store that held thousands of movies, special, etc. They would walk out and say they have seen everything. Yeah right, and your wife's at home waiting for me in bed.

The next time you guys see 'Loading, please wait', you can thank the quality they are trying to push to a spoiled brat society that screams like a kid who can't heve their binky. I'll watch in SD until I have to switch. Even then I'll just use my video projector to make movies look more like they're projected film instead of saturated, over sharpened stuff that this HD mania has made people thinking they are getting the best. Like I said, there are a coveted few that can use them and realize the down faults and limitations and can calibrate them perfectly but they are not the one's whining because they are realistic about it. To end this rant, we ALL suffer because when mankind gets a new toy, it's always MORE FASTER BIGGER BETTER BETTER :!: :!:
ROKU 3
(2) ROKU 2 HD (the champ)
(2) ROKU 2 XS
ROKU 2 XD
SONY BLU-RAY BDP-S580
BRIGHTHOUSE MODEM/ROUTER BRIDGED WITH NETGEAR WNDR4500 (Router)
FredNugent69

Postby shellofsnail » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:32 pm

FredNugent69, though I have a strict policy against engaging with anyone online whose handle ends in "69," I'll make an exception here to advise that your post doesn't really add anything to the discourse here, and serves only to undermine the legitimate and specific observations that myself and others have made.
shellofsnail

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion