streaming pc to tv through roku

Moderators: RokuShawnS, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

streaming pc to tv through roku

Postby tfrost2002 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:08 am

I have heard that it is possible to stream movies from my pc to my tv through roku. Would someone please tell me if this is possible and how to do so? If not, would someone suggest where to look for how to do it through other methods?

Thank you for your help.
tfrost2002

Re: streaming pc to tv through roku

Postby RickRansom » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:33 am

Everyone is a genius.
But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree,
it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.

-A Einstein
RickRansom

Postby greubel » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:37 am

Chaneru - http://www.chaneru.com has iTunes support also check http://www.chaneru.com/UPnP/ for UPnP discovery
greubel

Postby joed32 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:24 am

Hook the PC up to the TV, you don't need the Roku for that.
joed32

Postby Turbojoe » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:44 am

I ripped all of my DVDs to the hard drive and using Plex server I can watch them on both my TVs using Roku, Nexus 7 tablet and cell phone. If your TV is close enough to the PC then by all means use a cable. If not then Plex is a great alternative. Plus the server software is free. The apps for the tablet and phone are $4.99 and worth it. Plex is so easy to use even a bonehead like me had no huge problems setting it up.

Joe
The nonsensical ravings of a lunatic mind.....
Turbojoe

Postby jeffrok » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:48 am

joed32 wrote:Hook the PC up to the TV, you don't need the Roku for that.

People like to stream to Roku from the PC if the PC is a desktop that's in a different room.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz
jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Postby dahacker » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:33 pm

dahacker

Postby Airbander » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:41 pm

Hi

Did you guys hear about media browser 3 ?
I made few video and post in here

Thanks
Airbander

Postby Gilgamesh » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:53 pm

Airbander wrote:Hi

Thanks

Yep. I tried it and could not make it work at all. As clumsy as Plex is Media Browser 3 makes it look quite slick and easy to setup and install.

I prefer the simpler setup and use of Chaneru 2.0 or Roksbox or MyMedia(The original one not the usurper) all of those are much easier to get going than either Plex or Media Browser 3 as far as I am concerned.
Gilgamesh

Postby gjviii » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:16 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:

Thanks

Yep. I tried it and could not make it work at all. As clumsy as Plex is Media Browser 3 makes it look quite slick and easy to setup and install.

I prefer the simpler setup and use of Chaneru 2.0 or Roksbox or MyMedia(The original one not the usurper) all of those are much easier to get going than either Plex or Media Browser 3 as far as I am concerned.

I may be the least technical person ever, but I found the media browser install very easy. I set it up and took the roku with me on vacation so I could watch my library of dvd's on rainy days. May I ask where the challenge was? I know they have a great forum and would be interested in making the install easier.
thanks
gjviii

Postby Gilgamesh » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:31 pm

gjviii wrote:I may be the least technical person ever, but I found the media browser install very easy. I set it up and took the roku with me on vacation so I could watch my library of dvd's on rainy days. May I ask where the challenge was? I know they have a great forum and would be interested in making the install easier.
thanks

I could not get the server to find all my mp4s/ I set it to look in my movies root directory (All my movie files. about 2500 of them, are under that directory) and it showed exactly eight.

From my reading I think it did not like my directory structure but I do and I am not going to change it to make a media player like it and it should NEVER be necessary.

If a media player requires a lot of tinkering just to get it to find the media files then it is not one I can use or recommend. Also during my attempts to get the channel functioning it kept kicking me out of the channel rather that giving me an error and allowing me to correct the problem.

Of all the media players I have used both Plex and Media Browser 3 fall into the category of "Form over Function" and the both make just getting started much too complicated.
Gilgamesh

Postby Airbander » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:02 am

Gilgamesh wrote:
gjviii wrote:I may be the least technical person ever, but I found the media browser install very easy. I set it up and took the roku with me on vacation so I could watch my library of dvd's on rainy days. May I ask where the challenge was? I know they have a great forum and would be interested in making the install easier.
thanks

I could not get the server to find all my mp4s/ I set it to look in my movies root directory (All my movie files. about 2500 of them, are under that directory) and it showed exactly eight.

From my reading I think it did not like my directory structure but I do and I am not going to change it to make a media player like it and it should NEVER be necessary.

If a media player requires a lot of tinkering just to get it to find the media files then it is not one I can use or recommend. Also during my attempts to get the channel functioning it kept kicking me out of the channel rather that giving me an error and allowing me to correct the problem.

Of all the media players I have used both Plex and Media Browser 3 fall into the category of "Form over Function" and the both make just getting started much too complicated.

Hi
i spoke to main developers in MediaBrowser3 and they are going to look into improve the experience of users who have media in a single directory

I will update you once i get an update however main while have you ever looked into Free metadata software that can fetch files for you for free
I would suggest using Media Center Master http://forums.mediacentermaster.com/

Hope this help
Airbander

Postby Gilgamesh » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:12 am

i spoke to main developers in MediaBrowser3 and they are going to look into improve the experience of users who have media in a single directory

I will update you once i get an update however main while have you ever looked into Free metadata software that can fetch files for you for free
I would suggest using Media Center Master http://forums.mediacentermaster.com/

Hope this help

Why would I want to use that software? I already have my media in the structure I want it with genera directories under the main directory and artwork and movie info in the same sub-directory with the movies.

I use Thumbgen to even have movie sheets which are used by both Chaneru and Roksbox to show a screen sized jpg when browsing movies.

I fail to see any advantage to using another piece of software to do what is already done.

When a new med1a player comes out I like to take a look at it but I really do not understand the need for so much complexity. To play movies all the fluff is not needed and there is absolutely no need for all the overhead imposed by accessing the internet for movie info and artwork when such already exists with the local files. A media player should be able to use what is already there unless directed otherwise.

Albert Einstein said "Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler" and both Plex and Media Browser 3 seem like an attempt to be "simpler."
Gilgamesh

Postby dahacker » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:32 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:

I'm not sure how Plex could have been complicated. These are the steps:

1. Download and install the server. Literally less than five minutes.
2. Make sure your movies are named just like the movies are named in IMDB: "The Avengers (2012).m4v" for example.
3. Point plex to your movie directory or directories and let it download all of the meta data automatically.
4. View your movies via PLEX apps on Roku, Android, IOS, browser, etc.

If you've wasted time downloading and/or creating your own metadata, it will also be picked up automatically as long as it matches the naming convention of the movie files. I really don't see any easier way any program could pick up local metadata.
dahacker

Postby Gilgamesh » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:19 pm

dahacker wrote:
I'm not sure how Plex could have been complicated. These are the steps:

1. Download and install the server. Literally less than five minutes.
2. Make sure your movies are named just like the movies are named in IMDB: "The Avengers (2012).m4v" for example.

#2 is the first totally unneeded complication. Every movie I own is named the way it makes sense to me and to the data gathering program I use. (Thumbgen)
3. Point plex to your movie directory or directories and let it download all of the meta data automatically.

Every movie I own already has an nfo file associated with it which contains all the "Meta" data for the movie. The file is named exactly the same as the movie file except for the extension. There is also a jpg so there is no reason for Plex to go out to the internet and download anything.

4. View your movies via PLEX apps on Roku, Android, IOS, browser, etc.

If you've wasted time downloading and/or creating your own metadata, it will also be picked up automatically as long as it matches the naming convention of the movie files. I really don't see any easier way any program could pick up local metadata.

The wasting of time is trying to use Plex. The arrangement and groupings that Plex forces just makes no sense and most of the time the info presented is totally wrong and the way the channel presents the movies is simply hideous. It also seems that Plex is much to tightly wound in its naming requirements as Thumbgen has absolutely no problem finding data for my movies (around 98% accuracy) exactly as they are named but Plex fails over half the time.

Plex wants everyone to use their local media in exactly the same way and that way makes no sense to me. As an example of how bad Plex is it insists the the "Lord of the Rings" movies are Science Fiction and they show up in that genera and the only way to fix it is to manually fix the downloaded data and that uses an interface that is almost impossible for me to get functioning or to tell how to do anything.

Under the good media players I use my movies are grouped exactly the way they are set in my directory structure and that is the way I want to see my movies. I do not want to see some other person's idea of the correct generas or the correct layout.

If Plex had a way to display exactly what I have already designed then II might use it as the actual server part seem pretty good but Plex will not do that.

Also, on time when I tested Plex would not use bif files to display thumbnails for FF, RW and pause. I don't know if that lack has been addressed but if not then that is another negative.

I suppose Plex might be OK for someone that is new to streaming local content but for those that already have a mature, stable and understandable structure it is just too complex. But, as I have said before, it is quite pretty but pretty is as pretty does and Plex does not do its job "pretty."
Gilgamesh

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion