Roku 4

This is the place to discuss items not related to your Roku Streaming Player

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Re: Roku 4

Postby Gilgamesh » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:43 pm

empirefalls wrote:i love Roku 3. The headphone at the remote was an excellent idea. I love watching TV at night via headphones. I love listening to tunein radio while walking in another room or doing house work

I am wondering what Roku 4 may have in store?
a web browser would be nice to begin with

It is said that YouTube, the latest and greatest user interface from Netflix, All streaming sports channels, all major networks, and even the ability to re-hydrate dehydrated pizza will all be included.

Beyond that Roku has not said what will be included.
Gilgamesh

Postby Basil » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:47 pm

Will it make toast? If it won't make toast, I want no part of it. <The entropy of a perfect crystal, at absolute zero kelvin, is exactly equal to zero. - Third Law of Thermodynamics>, you can buy a $10 toaster from Walmart that'll make toast. It's unconscionable that the Roku 4 won't make toast. Somebody's got some 'splaining to do.
Basil
http://www.basilsblog.com/
http://www.imao.us/
Roku 3, Roku HDMI Streaming Stick, Roku LT; previous Roku 2 XS, Roku 2 XD, Roku 2 HD, Roku XD|S, Roku HD
Also running Apple TV, TiVo/OTA, Simple.TV/OTA, Chromecast, Amazon Fire TV
Basil
** Valued Community Member **

Postby empirefalls » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:52 pm

how about a one push button on the remote for ordering pizza?
empirefalls

Postby Basil » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:55 pm

empirefalls wrote:how about a one push button on the remote for ordering pizza?

No, it needs a touch sensor in the buttons on the remote that detect hunger via biofeedback and automatically orders the pizza without your intervention.
Basil
http://www.basilsblog.com/
http://www.imao.us/
Roku 3, Roku HDMI Streaming Stick, Roku LT; previous Roku 2 XS, Roku 2 XD, Roku 2 HD, Roku XD|S, Roku HD
Also running Apple TV, TiVo/OTA, Simple.TV/OTA, Chromecast, Amazon Fire TV
Basil

Postby Gilgamesh » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:57 pm

Basil wrote:Will it make toast? If it won't make toast, I want no part of it. <The entropy of a perfect crystal, at absolute zero kelvin, is exactly equal to zero. - Third Law of Thermodynamics>, you can buy a $10 toaster from Walmart that'll make toast. It's unconscionable that the Roku 4 won't make toast. Somebody's got some 'splaining to do.

No I don't think "toast" is even on the drawing board.

However, (you didn't here it here) there is an auxiliary device controlled by the Roku's remote that will open and bring you beer, or other beverage if you are so inclined, also the little device cleans the kitchen and gets food out of the freezer to thaw. But it cannot cook due to the incompatible nature of most appliances cooking proved too difficult to implement reliably.
Gilgamesh

Postby empirefalls » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:04 pm

Basil wrote:

No, it needs a touch sensor in the buttons on the remote that detect hunger via biofeedback and automatically orders the pizza without your intervention.

im not sure,thats a little advance. maybe Roku 8 or 9 thou
empirefalls

Postby Gilgamesh » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:09 pm

Basil wrote:

But THAT would require storing credit card information and that is against everything that Roku and the US stand for. It is UN-American and if implemented will cause me and my friends to abandon everything Roku.

Clearly if Roku moves in that direction it will destroy them as a company and ruin the future for everyone involved.
Gilgamesh

Postby TheEndless » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:48 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:
Basil wrote:Will it make toast? If it won't make toast, I want no part of it. <The entropy of a perfect crystal, at absolute zero kelvin, is exactly equal to zero. - Third Law of Thermodynamics>, you can buy a $10 toaster from Walmart that'll make toast. It's unconscionable that the Roku 4 won't make toast. Somebody's got some 'splaining to do.

No I don't think "toast" is even on the drawing board.

However, (you didn't here it here) there is an auxiliary device controlled by the Roku's remote that will open and bring you beer, or other beverage if you are so inclined, also the little device cleans the kitchen and gets food out of the freezer to thaw. But it cannot cook due to the incompatible nature of most appliances cooking proved too difficult to implement reliably.

Are you talking about your ex again? :P
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Justin.tv (JUSTINTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless

Postby Gilgamesh » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:55 pm

TheEndless wrote:Are you talking about your ex again? :P

No, I was not. But now that you mention it... Gets food out of the freezer but can't cook, cleans selectively... it could be at least partially true. :wink:
Gilgamesh

Postby Frankie'sMarket » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:55 am

Gilgamesh wrote:It is said that YouTube, the latest and greatest user interface from Netflix, All streaming sports channels, all major networks, and even the ability to re-hydrate dehydrated pizza will all be included.

Better chance of the last thing happening compared to the first.
Frankie'sMarket

Postby catastrophegirl » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:27 am

the roku 4 will be even smaller, and therefore won't be the right size for toast. but i heard it will make croutons
N1000, roku1 XD/s, roku2 xs, roku3
wireless
speed range from ~18-20mbps
http://catastrophegirlsrokuchanneldata.blogspot.com/
twitter: catastrophegirl
PM or tweet me if you want a channel added to my list, a correction or to update a developers' credit
catastrophegirl

Postby knuckle » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:25 pm

I heard that the roku 4 will have a second hidden button under the battery compartment that warps space time,thus allowing roku owners to watch films and television programs up to a year before they are casted and filmed

EDIT------------- we will have to wait until the roku 5 comes out to get the time warp to work on the lotto channel tho... :(
ROKU 1 XD J0A113014862
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
all running wireless on a Netgear WNR 1000
knuckle

Postby RokuShawnS » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:45 pm

catastrophegirl wrote:

the roku 4 will be even smaller, and therefore won't be the right size for toast. but i heard it will make croutons

Delayed.

knuckle wrote:I heard that the roku 4 will have a second hidden button under the battery compartment that warps space time,thus allowing roku owners to watch films and television programs up to a year before they are casted and filmed

EDIT------------- we will have to wait until the roku 5 comes out to get the time warp to work on the lotto channel tho... :(

Delayed indefinitely. Engineering is have a difficult time with the Einstein-Rosen Bridge. Something about power issues.

C. Shawn Smith

PS - To the OP: Sorry everyone got sort of off-topic here, but I'll fix this thread later this evening and move your post into the Feature Suggestions thread. The rest of this thread I'll move to the Off-Topic forum ;)
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby Gilgamesh » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:22 pm

RokuShawnS wrote:
Delayed indefinitely. Engineering is have a difficult time with the Einstein-Rosen Bridge. Something about power issues.

C. Shawn Smith...

That should be solvable. All the engineers need to do is draw energy from another universe using a McKay-Miller space time bridge. The exotic particles that are created can be shunted into that other universe and, even though previous experiments hit inhabited universes, there is a fair chance that the universe we use will not be and, even if it is, we can just let it go as we would not be destroying "our" universe.

There "could" be a problem of bridging the bridges but by pulling in a little ~science~ from the Star Trek universe I am sure the incompatibilities between the bridges of the Eureka and Stargate universe bridges should be easily ironed out. Of course they "may" need a little help from the Babylon universe but that help should be minor as almost all natural laws are rendered invalid by the first three so the Babylon universe has very little to do to get rid of all the rest.

Who would have ever thought that simply creating a Roku 4 would result in all the laws of science being rendered invalid.

How's that for mixing my science fiction TV series references.
Gilgamesh

Postby DaBronx » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:26 pm

Rumor has it that the Roku 4 will not only make toast it will also be the first streaming set top box to make 3 different varieties of toast, regular, french and on a stick.

brett
Roku2 XS #13A164000326, Roku3 (still in factory sealed box), Roku1, wired to Netgear WND 3700 router, 100 mb cable broadband, Samsung 50" 720p plasma tv, (Subscriber- Hulu+, Netflix, HBOGO, EPIX HD, 2014 MLB.TV Premium)
DaBronx

Next

Return to Off Topic