New Roku HD vs. Reconditioned Roku 2XS?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

New Roku HD vs. Reconditioned Roku 2XS?

Postby 4Eyes » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:34 am

I just cancelled my Comcast basic TV package and now have Performance Starter Internet (about 7.4 mbps). I may eventually go back to the 20 mbps speed but for now I am trying this.) I have had a Roku LT (of the Roku 2 generation) which I use for Netflix, Amazon and Hulu Plus. I have one 32 inch Phillips LED flatscreen (720) and one older Sony standard definition TV from about 2008 that is only about 26 inches.

I have tried using my smart BluRay for Netflix and Hulu and it is not great (especially the remote). It had to be connected via Ethernet cable as the remote is very difficult to use. So I have decided I want a second Roku for the TV upstairs (the Phillips flatscreen) and I have moved the LT downstairs (tried a digital TV converter box and same indoor antenna as upstairs but got only 1/3 channels so not worth it).

I really like my LT and after the recent updates it has worked well. I am noting some buffering on Hulu Plus now that I have downgraded my internet speed.

Before I moved the Roku I checked network connection on both locations and in both cases, the connection is rated as excellent by Roku.

My best choices as far as price goes are a new Roku HD (appears to be the current generation but on sale for $48 as the local Walmart had this model on clearance) or a reconditioned 2 XS with HDMI cable from Amazon for 59.99 which could be connected by Ethernet. If I replace the old tv next year, I will need a larger screen so it might end up being 1080. I don't play games and I can stream photos from my cell phone to the TV with the Roku cell app. What suggestions and advice can anyone give me? Thanks!!
4Eyes

Re: New Roku HD vs. Reconditioned Roku 2XS?

Postby Basil » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:46 am

4Eyes wrote:I just cancelled my Comcast basic TV package and now have Performance Starter Internet (about 7.4 mbps). I may eventually go back to the 20 mbps speed but for now I am trying this.) I have had a Roku LT (of the Roku 2 generation) which I use for Netflix, Amazon and Hulu Plus. I have one 32 inch Phillips LED flatscreen (720) and one older Sony standard definition TV from about 2008 that is only about 26 inches.

I have tried using my smart BluRay for Netflix and Hulu and it is not great (especially the remote). It had to be connected via Ethernet cable as the remote is very difficult to use. So I have decided I want a second Roku for the TV upstairs (the Phillips flatscreen) and I have moved the LT downstairs (tried a digital TV converter box and same indoor antenna as upstairs but got only 1/3 channels so not worth it).

I really like my LT and after the recent updates it has worked well. I am noting some buffering on Hulu Plus now that I have downgraded my internet speed.

Before I moved the Roku I checked network connection on both locations and in both cases, the connection is rated as excellent by Roku.

My best choices as far as price goes are a new Roku HD (appears to be the current generation but on sale for $48 as the local Walmart had this model on clearance) or a reconditioned 2 XS with HDMI cable from Amazon for 59.99 which could be connected by Ethernet. If I replace the old tv next year, I will need a larger screen so it might end up being 1080. I don't play games and I can stream photos from my cell phone to the TV with the Roku cell app. What suggestions and advice can anyone give me? Thanks!!

Either would be a good device. The price you're seeing for the HD is $10 off the regular price, and priced the same as the LT. The reconditioned XS is $10 less than Roku sells a reconditioned XS for. If it's a factory-reconditioned XS, that's a good price. I'd spend the extra money for the XS to get the USB, LAN port, and the bluetooth remote. While I'm not big on games, the bluetooth remote opens that up for you, family, and guests.
Basil
http://www.basilsblog.com/
http://www.imao.us/
Roku 3, Roku HDMI Streaming Stick, Roku LT; previous Roku 2 XS, Roku 2 XD, Roku 2 HD, Roku XD|S, Roku HD
Also running Apple TV, TiVo/OTA, Simple.TV/OTA, Chromecast, Amazon Fire TV
Basil
** Valued Community Member **

Postby jeffrok » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:55 am

Personally if I were you, I'd just spend the extra money and get either the XS or just spend a little more and get the Roku 3 and get a much faster device that will hopefully be the first device to support an official YouTube channel (speculation, I know).. And just as there are new channels that with the 2nd and 3rd generation Rokus that won't work on the original Roku, there will probably be channels that will be exclusive to the 3rd generation Roku in the future. Just trying to help you futureproof a little :wink: .
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz
jeffrok

Postby 4Eyes » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:00 am

If it's a factory-reconditioned XS, that's a good price. I'd spend the extra money for the XS to get the USB, LAN port, and the bluetooth remote. While I'm not big on games, the bluetooth remote opens that up for you, family, and guests.

Amazon had some sold direct from Amazon for about $79 but they didn't say if they were reconditioned or not. (I have found some listed as new but when you click in further it shows they are actually reconditioned." The $59 one (now $57) is sold by Otter Creek Trading and and fulfilled by Amazon and it says their units are refurbished by Roku. I tried very hard to find a new one locally but no go. I am leaning toward your recommendation despite my wish to have it running today!

I am waiting on a new pair of hearing aids from Oticon which have some connectivity options my 6 year old pair doesn't have. One of the things the new hearing aids will have is a remote/streamer device for streaming via blue tooth phone calls from cell phones. (think of it as a fancy Bluetooth headset with a mike) if one wants to spend another $150, one can get a box that allows the TV volume to stream from said box right to the hearing aids (blue tooth ?? Not sure). Given the streaming bluetooth nature of this remote/streamer, do you think it is possible that either of the Roku remotes will end up with interference from the hearing aid streamer? (The Oticon website is short on tech details). Thanks
4Eyes

Postby knuckle » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:07 am

Not a huge Walmart fan but they are running som pretty good prices $89 on the R3 and $75 on the XS
ROKU 1 XD J0A113014862
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
all running wireless on a Netgear WNR 1000
knuckle

Postby RokuShawnS » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:17 am

Some great deals on Amazon.com too ;)

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby 4Eyes » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:25 am

RokuShawnS wrote:Some great deals on Amazon.com too ;)

C. Shawn Smith

And Amazon ships to PO Boxes!! :D

Is there any thing special like doing a factory reset (which I can't remember how to do) that I would need to do on a factory reconditioned unit that is different than a new unit? Thanks!
4Eyes

Postby RickRansom » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:18 am

4Eyes wrote:Is there any thing special like doing a factory reset (which I can't remember how to do) that I would need to do on a factory reconditioned unit that is different than a new unit?
If the previous owner still has his accounts saved on the box [like his roku account, netflix login, etc.] then you could do a factory reset to wipe his/her information from the box. Unless of course.... :wink:
Retired
RickRansom

Postby jr2673 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:05 pm

2 xs is nothing but problems stayaway
jr2673

Postby baccusboy » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:11 pm

I have a reconditioned 2XS. It was a great buy compared to other Roku offerings. The unit itself was new with newly manufactured factory plastic still on it. Remote appeared slightly used, but just guessing based on the few fine scratches on its face. I put more fine scratches on it within a week. The adapter may have been used. All cables were included but came in a brown box. Directions were there too.

Needed an update before wifi would work but fine now. Had to update via hard wire. I had a Roku 3 before, which I returned. Speed difference is barely noticeable and overstated. All Roku have the new menu now.

The only disappointments are the antiquated Netflix menu, which also lacks Netflix kids, and that the free channels are 90% b-grade movies from the 1940's, and channels like Disney are full of short clips only.
baccusboy

Postby jeffrok » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:04 pm

jr2673 wrote:2 xs is nothing but problems stayaway

If you're gonna say something like that you're gonna have to explain yourself a little better than THAT.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
jeffrok

Postby jeffrok » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:09 pm

4Eyes wrote:I am waiting on a new pair of hearing aids from Oticon which have some connectivity options my 6 year old pair doesn't have. One of the things the new hearing aids will have is a remote/streamer device for streaming via blue tooth phone calls from cell phones. (think of it as a fancy Bluetooth headset with a mike) if one wants to spend another $150, one can get a box that allows the TV volume to stream from said box right to the hearing aids (blue tooth ?? Not sure). Given the streaming bluetooth nature of this remote/streamer, do you think it is possible that either of the Roku remotes will end up with interference from the hearing aid streamer? (The Oticon website is short on tech details). Thanks

If you use hearing aids then maybe the best device is the Roku 3.. there's a headphone jack built right into the remote and I'm sure some sort of headphone amplifier can be had pretty cheaply.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
jeffrok

Postby baccusboy » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:41 pm

jeffrok wrote:
jr2673 wrote:2 xs is nothing but problems stayaway

If you're gonna say something like that you're gonna have to explain yourself a little better than THAT.

Yeah, my reconditioned 2xs has worked really well. The only issue I have with it is the menu system is sometimes slow to update the photo tiles for the channels, but it seems others have that problem too (new menu issue?). I started having more of a problem when I added the mini-SD card to the back (it's an older/slower card) so I might have to buy something newer. I have a feeling the slow transfer speed of the old card might be causing issues.

I will note that my 2xs didn't work on wifi out of the box AT ALL until I updated, so maybe they've fixed whatever issues through updates? Just buy one and update via hard-wire, and you'll be fine. My remote has been perfect, too.
baccusboy

Postby wingrider » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:51 am

I have a reconditioned 2XS i bought through Amazon that has worked just fine (as good as the one it replaced) the only difference from new I could tell it was not in a retail box. I need analog out the reason for not going with the 3
wingrider

Postby Dick Drivel » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:04 am

For many users,the XS is perceptibly slower than the XD, while others claim not. In my own experience it does not react as quickly as the XD. That said, the XS does have an ethernet connection, so you'd have to buy this model if you want to link it via a cable.
Dick Drivel

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion