Buffering issues with Tunein?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Buffering issues with Tunein?

Postby edm1820 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:18 pm

Has anyone else experienced issues with the tunein channel constantly bufferering? What's weird is it works fine after a reset, but once I change stations a few times it starts again, until I do another system reboot.
edm1820
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:01 pm

Re: Buffering issues with Tunein?

Postby steamer » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:27 am

yes, been getting a lot of it lately.
the annoying thing is ...
when it re-buffers, the volume drops and i have
to click on the site volume control to get it back.
seems the 'default' volume is at the bottom of
the band. wish it was mid-range ...
that i could set up for.
"The Selection of Random Numbers is too Important to be Left to Chance."

Roku 1 - Model #2100X V 3.1 b1017
Roku 2 - Model #3100X V 5.3 b3063
both wired
VisionNet ADSL2+4 Ports Wireless
Toshiba 40G300U HDMI, 1080P
steamer
 
Posts: 570
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:41 pm

Re: Buffering issues with Tunein?

Postby cwniles » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:40 am

I listen to TuneIn quite a bit and have not noticed any issues. Perhaps it is related to the channels. I launch TuneIn every night prior to bed and launch some very uncool "lite" stations (mostly through 181FM)....95% of the time, the stream is still playing in the morning.
Roku 2 XS>HDMI>Denon AVR-361>HDMI>Samsung 2333HD
Scientific Atlanta Cable Modem DPC2100R2 >Dynex DX-E402 Router (no wifi)
USB>Seagate Barracuda 7200 SATA 1TB in dock.
Roku S/N 13A16H000141
cwniles
 
Posts: 895
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:21 am
Location: Rhode Island

Re: Buffering issues with Tunein?

Postby steamer » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:19 pm

cwniles wrote:I listen to TuneIn quite a bit and have not noticed any issues. Perhaps it is related to the channels. I launch TuneIn every night prior to bed and launch some very uncool "lite" stations (mostly through 181FM)....95% of the time, the stream is still playing in the morning.


could be ...
i do the vast majority of listening on one channel ...
although i'm sure i've had that volume control thing on others as well.
i really wouldn't mind or probably even notice it ...
if i didn't have to go reset the volume.
"The Selection of Random Numbers is too Important to be Left to Chance."

Roku 1 - Model #2100X V 3.1 b1017
Roku 2 - Model #3100X V 5.3 b3063
both wired
VisionNet ADSL2+4 Ports Wireless
Toshiba 40G300U HDMI, 1080P
steamer
 
Posts: 570
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:41 pm

Re: Buffering issues with Tunein?

Postby edm1820 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:54 pm

Just to clarify, because I did a poor job explaining my issue in my original post. The buffering message I get is only happening when I initially try to load/play a station. Once it starts playing, its fine. It just takes a while to load (at least a few minutes). I've even tried exiting the program and opening it again, but that didn't help. the only thing that works is a reboot, but that only helps for a short time.
Last edited by edm1820 on Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
edm1820
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:01 pm

Re: Buffering issues with Tunein?

Postby dupondt » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:30 am

edm1820 and steamer,

Tunein is just an aggregator maintaining a database containing audio URLs which are then handed over to the Roku Player. Issues with playback or buffering are usually caused by a station's streaming server, the codec used by the station, a poor internet connection, or the Roku Player's firmware.

Please specify the stations which are causing issues.

Greetings
dupondt
Roku SoundBridge R1000, M1001 and M1000 • Pinnacle SoundBridge HomeMusic • DNT IP-dio • Clint L1 • Roku XD
dupondt
 
Posts: 1602
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:46 am
Location: Germany, European Union

Re: Buffering issues with Tunein?

Postby steamer » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:09 am

dupondt wrote:edm1820 and steamer,

Tunein is just an aggregator maintaining a database containing audio URLs which are then handed over to the Roku Player. Issues with playback or buffering are usually caused by a station's streaming server, the codec used by the station, a poor internet connection, or the Roku Player's firmware.

Please specify the stations which are causing issues.

Greetings
dupondt


the main station i listen to is:
http://tunein.com/radio/WPR-Ideas-970-s29220/

the volume 'widget' on the TuneIn window stays where i set it ...
usually midrange ...
but i have to click on it and move it ...
and the volume is back.

i'll pay closer attention when listening to other stations
to see if the problem is/is not unique to WPR.
"The Selection of Random Numbers is too Important to be Left to Chance."

Roku 1 - Model #2100X V 3.1 b1017
Roku 2 - Model #3100X V 5.3 b3063
both wired
VisionNet ADSL2+4 Ports Wireless
Toshiba 40G300U HDMI, 1080P
steamer
 
Posts: 570
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:41 pm

Re: Buffering issues with Tunein?

Postby cwniles » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:51 am

steamer wrote:
dupondt wrote:edm1820 and steamer,

Tunein is just an aggregator maintaining a database containing audio URLs which are then handed over to the Roku Player. Issues with playback or buffering are usually caused by a station's streaming server, the codec used by the station, a poor internet connection, or the Roku Player's firmware.

Please specify the stations which are causing issues.

Greetings
dupondt


the main station i listen to is:
http://tunein.com/radio/WPR-Ideas-970-s29220/

the volume 'widget' on the TuneIn window stays where i set it ...
usually midrange ...
but i have to click on it and move it ...
and the volume is back.

i'll pay closer attention when listening to other stations
to see if the problem is/is not unique to WPR.


Volume "widget" on the Tune In window? Is this some feature of the Roku Tune In app I am unaware of? or possibly a feature of the Roku 3's which I know nothing about?
Roku 2 XS>HDMI>Denon AVR-361>HDMI>Samsung 2333HD
Scientific Atlanta Cable Modem DPC2100R2 >Dynex DX-E402 Router (no wifi)
USB>Seagate Barracuda 7200 SATA 1TB in dock.
Roku S/N 13A16H000141
cwniles
 
Posts: 895
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:21 am
Location: Rhode Island

Re: Buffering issues with Tunein?

Postby dupondt » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:44 pm

steamer wrote:the main station i listen to is:
http://tunein.com/radio/WPR-Ideas-970-s29220/

WPR Ideas plays A/OK and does not rebuffer on my Roku XD and several other devices. We can therefore assume that the station's streaming server isn't the source of the issue.

Can you check if the station plays fine and without rebuffering on other devices you own, for example a PC, a Roku SoundBridge, a smartphone or a tablet? If that's the case the issue is caused either by your Roku Player or the Tunein channel.

Greetings
dupondt
Roku SoundBridge R1000, M1001 and M1000 • Pinnacle SoundBridge HomeMusic • DNT IP-dio • Clint L1 • Roku XD
dupondt
 
Posts: 1602
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:46 am
Location: Germany, European Union

Re: Buffering issues with Tunein?

Postby steamer » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:45 pm

dupondt wrote:
steamer wrote:the main station i listen to is:
http://tunein.com/radio/WPR-Ideas-970-s29220/

WPR Ideas plays A/OK and does not rebuffer on my Roku XD and several other devices. We can therefore assume that the station's streaming server isn't the source of the issue.

Can you check if the station plays fine and without rebuffering on other devices you own, for example a PC, a Roku SoundBridge, a smartphone or a tablet? If that's the case the issue is caused either by your Roku Player or the Tunein channel.

Greetings
dupondt


well, wouldn't you know it ...
haven't had any problems with it for the last two days.
don't know what to tell you ...
other than thanks for the time and effort.
we will see how it goes from this point onward.
"The Selection of Random Numbers is too Important to be Left to Chance."

Roku 1 - Model #2100X V 3.1 b1017
Roku 2 - Model #3100X V 5.3 b3063
both wired
VisionNet ADSL2+4 Ports Wireless
Toshiba 40G300U HDMI, 1080P
steamer
 
Posts: 570
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:41 pm

Re: Buffering issues with Tunein?

Postby steve9999 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:41 pm

I can't figure out if there was an answer to solve the problem in all these posts! I have a ROKU2, and the only thing I do with it is listen to Internet radio. Occasionally, it stops, and just says Buffering. My options are to Pause or Resume only. The only choice I seem to have is to unplug Roku and reboot. Then it works fine. This happens about once per day. Is it the Roku box?

* To answer my own post ... the Roku would quit every morning when I was making breakfast, but work pretty well all day. So I, just today, figured out it was my microwave oven. As soon as I started it up, Roku would quit. Problem solved. For me, anyway.
steve9999
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:26 pm

Re: Buffering issues with Tunein?

Postby maviesk » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:20 pm

Just wanted to say that I'm having exactly the same buffering issue as described by some people on this thread, i.e. the stations play fine but after I've listened to one or two stations and switch to another one I get buffering which lasts for a few minutes at best and can't be solved without a reset at worst. This has happened on both a Roku LT and a Now TV box... I'm convinced it's a Tunein channel related issue, I never have this problem on my phone or PC..
maviesk
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:14 am

Re: Buffering issues with Tunein?

Postby TECHNOMARK » Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:35 am

I have the same issue with TuneIn Radio on two different boxes.

You start off, search for stations, everything is great. Tune in to a station, quick access, flip to another no problem.

BUT...leave it on a station for say 10 minutes. Nopw the problems start. Try to switch to another station, nothing. It takes over two minutes to start the stream on the new station. It's as if it is storing a giant buffer on the first station.

I have gone on to the TuneIn website and logged the problem, but no feedback yet after a couple of days.

It happens regardless of what station you are tuned to. It is an App problem as the main TuneIn App on Android is superb.
TECHNOMARK
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:28 am

Re: Buffering issues with Tunein?

Postby TheFuriousCheese! » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:52 pm

I do notice buffering issues much more frequently with Tunein than with typical AV channels, even though the latter must obviously impose a far greater load on my equipment and internet connection. Moreover, I frequently experience the same problems when using the Tunein app on my Android device, whether relying on the mobile networks away from home or using my WLAN when I'm home.

I don't know what effect, if any, this would have on accessing the service via Roku, but Tunein has been known to roll out some bad updates to mobile OSs which are usually fixed pretty quickly and rolled out again. Apart from Tunein itself, I've noticed that some stations hardly ever work well no matter how good my local connection is, which I can't help thinking is due to output capacity issues on their end. As an example the main NPR outlet in L.A.--KCRW--is undoubtedly one of the their biggest, if not their biggest, affiliate in the country, but it's almost unlistenable on my Android device because of the constant dropping and buffering that occurs. When I want to listen to public radio I usually have to use the affiliate in Pasadena or San Francisco.
TheFuriousCheese!
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:35 pm

Re: Buffering issues with Tunein?

Postby djc79 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:41 pm

I have the Roku 2 XD & use Tune In to listen to the police frequencies & I have no problem So your problem could either be something to do w/the Roku version you have or the stations you're trying to listen to
djc79
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:51 pm

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: mike_ekim, RokuShawnS and 39 guests