HTC One and Roku App - No "Videos" Option?

Moderators: RokuShawnS, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

HTC One and Roku App - No "Videos" Option?

Postby jntdroid » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:39 pm

I own an HTC One on Verizon. I have videos my One's camera has taken. The Roku app simply doesn't show me the "Videos" option - just Photos and Music. What am I missing?
jntdroid

Re: HTC One and Roku App - No "Videos" Option?

Postby jeffrok » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:46 am

Nothing - is only available on certain devices right now, to be expanded at a later version.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz
jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Postby jntdroid » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:06 am

Right, and the HTC One is one of them according to everything I've read, including the roku blog.
jntdroid

Postby jeffrok » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:01 pm

Very weird- and you're sure your app is up to date? Sorry, gotta ask the dumb questions.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
jeffrok

Postby jntdroid » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:09 pm

Yep - first thing I checked. And no worries on the questions. Gotta cover the bases! I *am* rooted - think the app looks for that maybe? No custom software though, just rooted the stock/factory system.
jntdroid

Postby Gilgamesh » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:25 pm

jntdroid wrote:Yep - first thing I checked. And no worries on the questions. Gotta cover the bases! I *am* rooted - think the app looks for that maybe? No custom software though, just rooted the stock/factory system.

While rooting an Android device can add functionality it generally does not really help operation much and it can cause problems. It is quite possible that the app looks for an identifier of some kind and the rooted device does not supply that identifier.

I have several Android devices and I have only had a need to root one of them and that device fails to run a couple of apps, fortunately unimportant ones, that it ran before the rooting.

In my opinion rooting should ONLY be done if there is a real need, not just to e cool or because it can be done. Why potentially create a problem unless you are fixing another one that is quite important.

I think there is a good chance your problem is caused by your device being rooted.
Gilgamesh

Postby jeffrok » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:39 pm

Agreed with Gil.. Unless a phone is full of phone crippling bloat, there's no reason to root it.. I know it gives you more control, but it also presents some problems with app compatibility.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
jeffrok

Postby jntdroid » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:48 pm

I'll restore to stock when I have a chance and see if that alleviates it. I've rooted 20+ Android devices over the years, mainly for the added backup functionality since Android's is, even still, pretty lacking. I also enjoy trying out new things as they are released, and rooting allows a lot more freedom with that stuff as well. I definitely don't do it to be cool or just because I can. If anything, it makes me even more of a nerd to my wife. ;)

But lately I've rooted to do audio streaming via Airplay (we're mainly an Apple household). I prefer Android, but Airplay is an awesome feature.

But now that Roku has similar functionality, especially when combined with Chromecast, if restoring to stock fixes it, that will alleviate a lot of what I desired in AirPlay with our AppleTV.
jntdroid

Postby lion7718 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:29 pm

jntdroid wrote:Yep - first thing I checked. And no worries on the questions. Gotta cover the bases! I *am* rooted - think the app looks for that maybe? No custom software though, just rooted the stock/factory system.

My Nexus 4 is rooted & the Roku app works fine.
lion7718

Postby jntdroid » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:32 pm

lion7718 wrote:

Videos as well?
jntdroid

Postby lion7718 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:39 pm

jntdroid wrote:
lion7718 wrote:

Videos as well?

Yes, but the video quality is bad, I've posted before that Juice For Roku has the best video...they have a Demo & a Paid version.
Anyway, I never used the Roku app that much because Juice did more at the time, I still use Juice 99.9% of the time.

Juice For Roku
lion7718

Postby jntdroid » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:55 pm

Ok I'm completely reset and on a 100% stock system on my Verizon HTC One, and the Roku app version is 2.3.1.2084861 - still no Videos. Really not sure what to try here... Hoping to have a "facepalm" moment on some setting I'm missing or something.
jntdroid

Postby jntdroid » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:39 pm

Quick update - no solution on the One. I got on with support via chat this morning, and they claimed it was a known bug across all Android devices. However, I exchanged my One for a S4 for other reasons, and it works perfectly on the S4... so who knows.
jntdroid

Postby joechoj » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:32 pm

jntdroid,
Was it a known bug across all HTC Ones? I'm on a One Mini on AT&T, and was wondering whether they just hadn't gotten around to supporting the Mini yet. Were you on the standard One or the Mini?
joechoj

Postby jntdroid » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:45 pm

joechoj wrote:jntdroid,
Was it a known bug across all HTC Ones? I'm on a One Mini on AT&T, and was wondering whether they just hadn't gotten around to supporting the Mini yet. Were you on the standard One or the Mini?

Standard One - and it sounded like it was a known issue across all Ones.
jntdroid

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion