Difference between Roku 2 XS and new Roku 2?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Difference between Roku 2 XS and new Roku 2?

Postby cropher » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:43 am

You need to help me out here, i don't get it.

Roku has discontinued the XD, HD and XS models of the Roku 2. The current second generation Roku is just called "Roku 2".

Whats the difference between the previous Roku 2 models and the current Roku 2? As far as i can see, they're pretty much the same.

Is there any reason I shouldn't just buy the Roku 2 XS instead of the newer Roku 2?
cropher

Re: Difference between Roku 2 XS and new Roku 2?

Postby thetick » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:29 am

Roku is absolutely terrible with choosing names...just confuses customers even tech savy ones. Rokus are so cheap just buy a Roku3 unless the TV lacks HDMI then get one of the older ones.
thetick

Postby lion7718 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:52 am

Roku 2 XS comes with both HDMI & Standard hookups for older TV's, Bluetooth Gaming Remote, Ethernet plug & a USB port.
lion7718

Postby jeffrok » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:55 am

Roku really screwed up this time by recycling a name that existed before the Roku 3. Though the Roku 1 was never actually a product name, the Roku 2 was. I believe it was released in 2010. To release a Roku 2 in late 2013 is just very confusing, especially when people are looking on the second-hand market, such as Amazon or eBay.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz
jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Postby david0406 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:20 am

Yes confusing I agree. Original Roku, 1st generation Roku, Ist gen RokuHD, Fat Roku, Skinny Roku, 2nd generation Roku2, 1st gen Roku2, New Roku2 , Roku2 HD, XD, XDS, RokuN1000. I think it would have been more appropriate to differentiate a little better with the newest models. Only those that frequent this forum could even begin to decipher the differences.
Roku N-1000
Roku HD 2000C
Roku LT
Roku 2 XD
Roku 3
Roku 3
david0406

Postby greubel » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:22 am

Here is a nice chart with all the models - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roku
greubel

Postby Gilgamesh » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:53 am

jeffrok wrote:Roku really screwed up this time by recycling a name that existed before the Roku 3. Though the Roku 1 was never actually a product name, the Roku 2 was. I believe it was released in 2010. To release a Roku 2 in late 2013 is just very confusing, especially when people are looking on the second-hand market, such as Amazon or eBay.

Over the years Roku has shown that they are a very intelligent but not a very smart company. This is just the latest instance were they got something very basic very wrong.

Don't get me wrong I like Roku and, for the most part, dealing with them is both easy and fun. However several times in the past they get a wrong headed thought and just will not let it go. To name one there was the dropping of component output and the, more importunately, decision(s) that caused them to drop simultaneous HDMI and regular video output making it harder for those of us with lower resolution secondary displays to utilize both displays from one Roku.

And then there are several decisions that were made on the behavior of the new interface. And there are many others where once a decision was made they would never admit that any decision they made was in any way a mistake always falling back on platitudes like "That is the recommendation we had from our testing group" making it seem like that group was more knowledgeable than a group of long time users and also showing a complete lack of independent thought on their part.

This arrogance has continued through the recent naming fiasco.

I love my Roku and the company is about my favorite but they can, at times, be so stubborn as to block out any opinions that conflict with the first decisions made in early meetings.

Then again, sometimes, Roku brings to mind the saying: "Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do."
― Isaac Asimov
Gilgamesh

Postby mikeyts » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:17 am

greubel wrote:Here is a nice chart with all the models - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roku

You can link directly to the chart: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roku#Feature_comparison
mikeyts

Postby cropher » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:12 pm

I've looked at this chart prior to making this thread. As far as I can see, the only differences between the Roku 2 XS and the newest Roku 2 are that

-the Roku 2 XS has ethernet support
-it also has a usb port
-wifi is different

Theres no info about the newer Roku 2s Processor or channel memory.

Does the newer model have any advantages? Is the wifi better or something?
cropher

Postby beq » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:46 pm

Anyone willing to pry open a new Roku 1 or Roku 2, or donate it to iFixit et al? :D

Shawn mentioned that the new 2 doesn't offer gaming, but I'm not completely clear what he meant:

RokuShawnS wrote:
beq wrote:- Does the "Roku 3 Enhanced Game Remote" [Wi-Fi Direct] work with new Roku 2 (2720R)? Since the "Roku 2 Enhanced Remote" [also Wi-Fi Direct] is listed as compatible with both 2 and 3.

Yes, it does, but note that the Roku 2 does not offer gaming.

But another user said that the new 2 feels faster than the old XS, which implies that the new hardware is faster. If so, I'm not sure why game support would be dropped on the new models, since the old XS played games just fine and even came with its own [Bluetooth] motion remote.
beq

Postby jdmac29 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:24 pm

I have both of these, just got the new roku 2 last Friday.
Roku 2 xs vs roku 2 differences.
ethernet/wi-fi 2 ghz vs no ethernet dual band wifi 2ghz/5ghz
micro sd vs no micro sd (to me they removed the sd card since no gaming and those take up alot of space)
bluetooth gaming remote vs wi fi remote(with ear phone jack & channel shortcut buttons) neither requires line of sight
rca jack (single cable) vs 3 jack rca cable ( no real benefit here)

I can tell from my initial testing on Friday the roku 2 is faster than the 2 xs which is should be for something that is 2-3 years newer. It is though not as nearly as fast as the 3.
jdmac29

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion