iplex2 wrote:Go for the Roku 3 and never look back. The new LT, 1 and 2 along with the LT, 2 HD, 2 XD and 2 XS will soon go the way of the legacy 1 HD, 1 XD and 1 XDS when Roku releases the all new Roku 3 in the first quarter of 2014. Confused yet? I know I am and that is why I went with the latest and greatest Roku. I figure I'll be bullet proof, in my selection, for at least one year going with the Roku 3.
How do you know there will be another Roku released in the first quarter? Roku has made no announcement about the next hardware release at all.
I actually do agree that the Roku 3 is the best choice but basing that decision on a nebulous future hardware is somewhat less than foolish.
Some general rules for technology purchases:
1. Do not base a buying decision on what "might" happen
2. Always buy the best you can reasonably afford if that "best" fits you needs
3. Never buy based on what an advertisement promises (and don't believe the pictures)
4. Never buy based on what a sales person promises
5. Always research multiple sources before buying
5a. Make sure that you understand what other equipment is required for the device to do what you want
6. Never assume that a feature you need is actually available on a given device. Check and make sure
7. Never rely on any one person's opinion about reliability or suitability
8. Be sure you completely understand the manufacture's warranty and the seller's return policy before purchase
9. Never buy on impulse (I have a real problem with this one)
10. Be consoled that no matter how careful you are something potentially better, faster and with more features WILL be released within two months of any purchase you make.
From these it is pretty clear that a buyer should always do good research and always realize that they will not have the "best" for longer than two months unless they are quite lucky.
Right now my belief is that the Roku 3 is the best value unless the new Netflix is a problem or you need analog audio/video outputs. The Roku 3 only has HDMI out.