Roku 2 Vs. Roku 3

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Roku 2 Vs. Roku 3

Postby toka1300 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:48 pm

Hello,

Trying to decide between the Roku 2 and 3. How much of a difference does the 5X faster processor make? Is that just for when navigating the menus or would that make the actual streaming smoother?

Thanks
toka1300

Re: Roku 2 Vs. Roku 3

Postby Gilgamesh » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:59 pm

toka1300 wrote:Hello,

Trying to decide between the Roku 2 and 3. How much of a difference does the 5X faster processor make? Is that just for when navigating the menus or would that make the actual streaming smoother?

Thanks

Streaming itself is pretty much the same on all Rokus assuming that the network and internet connections are the same. However interface performance is MUCH better on the Roku 3.

In fact the only place wher the Roku 2 excels is that it does not, currently have the new Netflix interface. But if you can tolerate the new interface's issues (There are a number of threads about those issues) then the R3 is the way to go.

BTW: If your connection is good all Rokus stream just fine. To me the major channels are every bit as smooth as cable or OTA television.
Gilgamesh

Postby iplex2 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:03 pm

Go for the Roku 3 and never look back. The new LT, 1 and 2 along with the original LT, 2 HD, 2 XD and 2 XS will soon go the way of the legacy 1 HD, 1 XD and 1 XDS when Roku releases the all new Roku 3 in the first quarter of 2014. Confused yet? I know I am and that is why I went with the latest and greatest Roku. I figure I'll be bullet proof, in my selection, for at least one year going forward with the Roku 3.
iplex2

Postby Gilgamesh » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:57 pm

iplex2 wrote:Go for the Roku 3 and never look back. The new LT, 1 and 2 along with the LT, 2 HD, 2 XD and 2 XS will soon go the way of the legacy 1 HD, 1 XD and 1 XDS when Roku releases the all new Roku 3 in the first quarter of 2014. Confused yet? I know I am and that is why I went with the latest and greatest Roku. I figure I'll be bullet proof, in my selection, for at least one year going with the Roku 3.

How do you know there will be another Roku released in the first quarter? Roku has made no announcement about the next hardware release at all.

I actually do agree that the Roku 3 is the best choice but basing that decision on a nebulous future hardware is somewhat less than foolish.

Some general rules for technology purchases:
1. Do not base a buying decision on what "might" happen
2. Always buy the best you can reasonably afford if that "best" fits you needs
3. Never buy based on what an advertisement promises (and don't believe the pictures)
4. Never buy based on what a sales person promises
5. Always research multiple sources before buying
5a. Make sure that you understand what other equipment is required for the device to do what you want
6. Never assume that a feature you need is actually available on a given device. Check and make sure
7. Never rely on any one person's opinion about reliability or suitability
8. Be sure you completely understand the manufacture's warranty and the seller's return policy before purchase
9. Never buy on impulse (I have a real problem with this one)
10. Be consoled that no matter how careful you are something potentially better, faster and with more features WILL be released within two months of any purchase you make.

From these it is pretty clear that a buyer should always do good research and always realize that they will not have the "best" for longer than two months unless they are quite lucky.

Right now my belief is that the Roku 3 is the best value unless the new Netflix is a problem or you need analog audio/video outputs. The Roku 3 only has HDMI out.
Gilgamesh

Postby iplex2 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:23 am

Gilgamesh,
"How do you know there will be another Roku released in the first quarter? Roku has made no announcement about the next hardware release at all."

When has Roku ever done so? I got burned in early 2011 buying the 1 XD and along came the Roku2. I did not know any better at the time but I truly got burned keeping the 1XD as it quickly became a completely obsolete box <Force equals mass times acceleration> near right way. My point is if you are new to Roku, go with the latest and greatest (Roku 3) if at all possible.
iplex2

Postby SimpleMinded » Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:39 am

toka1300 wrote:Hello,

Thanks

I figured I'd actually answer your question.

5x processor will help when navigating the menus and when running apps. I'm not aware of any apps that run poorly on the lesser processors. There are some games that do not run on older Rokus (one of the Angry Birds games), but that seems to be more about marketing than processor speed. All of the current generation Rokus (including the venerable Roku 2 XS which is commonly available as an inexpensive refurb) are capable of smooth streaming.

The other big difference between the Roku 3 and all other models is that the R3 does not have composite out. This may matter to you if 1) you want to stream to an older tv without hdmi inputs or 2) you want to play audio channels with your television powered off (you can route composite audio to a receiver, htib, sound bar, or even powered speakers) which may save you some electricity and wear and tear on your television.

There are a lot of current models, and you should consider all the features in choosing which makes most sense for you...

SimpleMinded

Postby toka1300 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:59 am

iplex2 wrote:Gilgamesh,
"How do you know there will be another Roku released in the first quarter? Roku has made no announcement about the next hardware release at all."

When has Roku ever done so? I got burned in early 2011 buying the 1 XD and along came the Roku2. I did not know any better at the time but I truly got burned keeping the 1XD as it quickly became a completely obsolete box <Force equals mass times acceleration> near right way. My point is if you are new to Roku, go with the latest and greatest (Roku 3) if at all possible.

What do you mean it became obsolete? Do they no longer support the previous year models when the new ones come out? And what kind of support does this entail? New apps?
toka1300

Postby theuser86 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:29 am

Just go with the Roku 3, it's only a $20 price difference. I personally like the newer Netflix UI a lot better than the old one. Plus while they may be on par now for features and performance, there will come that time when the Roku 3 will be able to do something the 2 can't. When you're already spending $100, +/- 20 is not worth the debate.
theuser86

Postby mikeyts » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:19 am

SimpleMinded wrote:The other big difference between the Roku 3 and all other models is that the R3 does not have composite out. This may matter to you if ... you want to play audio channels with your television powered off (you can route composite audio to a receiver, htib, sound bar, or even powered speakers) which may save you some electricity and wear and tear on your television.

I frequently stream music from my Roku 3 with my television off. I have 8 devices connected to my AVR via HDMI (3 of them via a switch), Roku 3 being one of them. The AVR plays the the selected device's sound and forwards the video through its HDMI output into my monitor. If I turn off the television the sound cuts out for a couple of second and then continues.
mikeyts

Postby theuser86 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:39 am

@mikeyts some individuals may have audio receivers that do not have hdmi inputs, thus an older roku may be more beneficial to them if they want to play audio only with their tv off. However, if you're going to buy a state of the art Roku 3, you might as well have a state of the art receiver with hdmi inputs and outputs (this is most likely the majority of the roku population)
theuser86

Postby arrowrand » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:50 am

I bought the Roku 1 because it was $58 and all I really cared about was 1080p, which the low priced Roku now has. I don't really see Roku coming out with a new Roku 3 in the first quarter. That's less than a year after release of the current model, and the current 3 has more features than channels that take advantage of them.

Look at the specs for each model and decide which one best suits your own needs. If you're after Netflix, Hulu+ and 1080p but not a remote with a headphone jack, pick the 1. Move up from there if your needs dictate that.
Fire TV & Chromecast - 47" LED
ROKU HDMI Streaming Stick & Chromecast - 47" LED
ROKU 2, Fire TV Stick & Chromecast - 37" LCD
Chromecast - 32" LCD
----
Airport Extreme
TWC 50/5
arrowrand

Postby SimpleMinded » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:29 am

mikeyts wrote:I frequently stream music from my Roku 3 with my television off. I have 8 devices connected to my AVR via HDMI (3 of them via a switch), Roku 3 being one of them.

I know, the most offered workarounds for the R3 not having composite out:

- Buy a new television
- Buy an AVR

Seriously, what are the eight devices you have plugged in to your television and for what and how often do you use each?

Right now, I have a DVR/Tuner and a Roku plugged into my set (composite out to soundbar) and the Roku doesn't get much use.

My composite audio is actually connected to the soundbar with two cables. I've found some interesting uses for that audio out...

- soundbar's aux in for music
- wireless headphones
- PC audio in to record programs for my commute

I don't listen to music much, moved the phones to the TV's audio out (made more sense to have private listening for everything) before returning them (didn't like falling asleep with headphones on), but I actually do use the PC to convert programming to audio for the usb port on my car stereo.
SimpleMinded

Postby SimpleMinded » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:30 am

arrowrand wrote:I don't really see Roku coming out with a new Roku 3 in the first quarter.

I think they could add a Roku 3 XS or simply a Roku XS that adds composite out to the R3.
SimpleMinded

Postby mikeyts » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:00 am

SimpleMinded wrote:Seriously, what are the eight devices you have plugged in to your television and for what and how often do you use each?

This PC, TiVo Roamio, Roku 3, Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS3, WD TV Live and a Panasonic BDP; I use a Harmony One to control them. I use the PC and TiVo every day all day. I use the 360 fairly often (I play Rocksmith 2014, Rock Band 3 and I have a stack of unplayed games to get through). I use the Roku 3 frequently, though not necessarily every day; it used to be my favorite Netflix player but the TiVo has taken its place (the UI is identical but it has this stream info display that I like). The Xbox One has only been here a week; I'm not sure that I'll use it much outside of games. I rarely use the PS3, BDP or TV Live. I'll add a PS4 when an exclusive for it that I want to play appears; at that point I'll probably toss the BDP.

You'd only need a non-HDMI output to listen with the television off if you aren't running HDMI through an AVR.
mikeyts

Postby SimpleMinded » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:30 am

I guess we're not too different. I just spread the consoles over three tvs and have DTVPals rather than a Tivo.
SimpleMinded

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion