composite cable question

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

composite cable question

Postby latrobe7 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:36 pm

I bought a Roku LT of of Ebay that I am trying to use with an old TV (No HDMI).

It did not come with the composite cable and so I went to Fry's and grabbed one. It didn't work, and a little bit of googling seems to indicate that there is something proprietary about the Roku composite 3.5mm plug, so I ordered a cable off of Ebay that is supposedly specifically for Roku; and it does not work either.

So they either sent me the wrong cable or there is something wrong with this Roku. I think the cable is wrong because:

1) The Roku works with an old 3.5mm-to-composite cable I have from a digital camera if I jiggle it right (this cable is mono audio or I would just use it)

2) The 3.5mm plug on the cable I got off Ebay matches the generic one I got at Fry's

Does anyone know what is proprietary about the Roku composite plug and/or where I can find a close-up picture of it?
latrobe7

Re: composite cable question

Postby Basil » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:49 pm

latrobe7 wrote:I bought a Roku LT of of Ebay that I am trying to use with an old TV (No HDMI).

It did not come with the composite cable and so I went to Fry's and grabbed one. It didn't work, and a little bit of googling seems to indicate that there is something proprietary about the Roku composite 3.5mm plug, so I ordered a cable off of Ebay that is supposedly specifically for Roku; and it does not work either.

So they either sent me the wrong cable or there is something wrong with this Roku. I think the cable is wrong because:

1) The Roku works with an old 3.5mm-to-composite cable I have from a digital camera if I jiggle it right (this cable is mono audio or I would just use it)

2) The 3.5mm plug on the cable I got off Ebay matches the generic one I got at Fry's

Does anyone know what is proprietary about the Roku composite plug and/or where I can find a close-up picture of it?

Well, you can see a picture of it here, but I'm not certain it'll give you what you need.
Basil
http://www.basilsblog.com/
http://www.imao.us/
Roku 3, Roku LT, Roku HDMI Streaming Stick; previous: Roku 1, Roku 2 XS, Roku 2 XD, Roku 2 HD, Roku XD|S, Roku HD
Also running Apple TV, TiVo/OTA, Chromecast; Previous: Simple.TV/OTA, Amazon Fire TV
Basil
** Valued Community Member **

Postby scottypie1234 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:54 pm

There's nothing proprietary about the composite cable for the LT. It's just a standard set of RCA composite cables. It doesn't have a 3.5mm jack. It's RCA. Yellow for the video and red/white for the audio.
scottypie1234

Postby latrobe7 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:09 pm

scottypie1234 wrote:There's nothing proprietary about the composite cable for the LT. It's just a standard set of RCA composite cables. It doesn't have a 3.5mm jack. It's RCA. Yellow for the video and red/white for the audio.

You must be thinking of the LT model that looks like the one on the bottom in this pic, my LT is like the one on the top.

Thanks for reading and responding though!
latrobe7

Postby SimpleMinded » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:30 pm

The fact that you can get it to work with the camera cable says composite out is working on the Roku.

All my LTs are RCA composite out, but my XS came with a mini to rca cable. I didn't know there was such a thing as a standard for rca to mini plugs. The Roku composite cable that came with my Roku 2 XS works like this...

tip = white
2nd band = red
3rd band = yellow
4th band = common

I use an rca to mini cable to convert my Roku cable back to mini for my PC. That one is red on the tip, then white, then common.

If I plugged that cable into the XS, composite video would be grounded. If I pulled the plug back enough, composite video would be on the white, common would still be touching, and red would be on red. My guess is that is what is happening with your camera cable.

If you have a multimeter, ring out the cable. If not, try plugging each RCA plug into the yellow jack on your TV. If one gives you video, you only have to guess which of the remaining is right channel audio.
SimpleMinded

Postby latrobe7 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:37 pm

Thank you SimpleMinded! Based on your suggestion I tried switching composite plugs; turns out red is the video out. Thanks again!
latrobe7

Postby SimpleMinded » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:38 pm

You're welcome. BTW, I believe the top Roku is an HD based on the information at the web page that includes your image. Does your box have a model number on it? Just curious.
latrobe7 wrote:
scottypie1234 wrote:There's nothing proprietary about the composite cable for the LT. It's just a standard set of RCA composite cables. It doesn't have a 3.5mm jack. It's RCA. Yellow for the video and red/white for the audio.

You must be thinking of the LT model that looks like the one on the bottom in this pic, my LT is like the one on the top.

Thanks for reading and responding though!
SimpleMinded

Postby latrobe7 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:51 pm

It's a 2400x, exactly like this one:

That first image was just the first one I found on google images with the composite and 3.5mm jacks side-by-side...
latrobe7

Postby SimpleMinded » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:09 pm

That's interesting. Roku has had FOUR different boxes called the LT. Apparently, they changed the model from 2400x to 2450x when they switched from mini to composite. There is also a 2450d and a 2700. Thanks for following up. Can't wait to see what the next LT will look like!
SimpleMinded

Postby Gilgamesh » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:14 pm

SimpleMinded wrote:That's interesting. Roku has had FOUR different boxes called the LT. Apparently, they changed the model from 2400x to 2450x when they switched from mini to composite. There is also a 2450d and a 2700. Thanks for following up. Can't wait to see what the next LT will look like!

The one thing I think Roku is really screwed up about is names for their boxes. It is to the point where we are best off referring to Rokus only by model number as the names are as bad as acronyms on the internet.
Gilgamesh

Postby SimpleMinded » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:29 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:
SimpleMinded wrote:That's interesting. Roku has had FOUR different boxes called the LT. Apparently, they changed the model from 2400x to 2450x when they switched from mini to composite. There is also a 2450d and a 2700. Thanks for following up. Can't wait to see what the next LT will look like!

The one thing I think Roku is really screwed up about is names for their boxes. It is to the point where we are best off referring to Rokus only by model number as the names are as bad as acronyms on the internet.

It's not just the boxes. You were just explaining that the 'RF' remote is WiFi but the BT remote is also rf. There are motion remotes and remotes with special buttons. Most of the functions of most of the IR remotes work with all Rokus. There are five unique remotes and two rca to mini cables on the accessories page.

The really ought to drug test the marketing guys.
SimpleMinded

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion