Change Name on Network from "Roku Streaming Player

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Change Name on Network from "Roku Streaming Player

Postby jntdroid » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:40 pm

Hi - currently my Android phone will only do music and photos through the Roku app, which is great. But for videos I use an app called AllCast. It works great to stream local videos to my Roku. But we just picked up a Roku 3 (in addition to our Roku 2 XS), and the problem is they're both labeled "Roku Streaming Player" in the AllCast app, so we just have to guess and hope to get it right each time we stream a video. I know the official Roku App automatically recognizes the devices, I'm guessing by serial number, to differentiate them in the Roku App.

Bottom line question - is there somewhere to change the label/title from "Roku Streaming Player" ? I'm pretty savvy and have gotten into developer mode to see, but there's not much in there. This isn't a huge issue, but if it's a simple tweak, it would be great. Thanks in advance
jntdroid

Re: Change Name on Network from "Roku Streaming Player

Postby Buckeye911 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:23 am

Log into your Roku account on your computer then click on "my account." Next, go to the bottom of the page to "my linked devices." Here you can rename your devices.
Buckeye911

Postby jntdroid » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:21 am

So far no luck. But I'll give it some time to move through the systems, maybe reboot them, and see what happens. Thanks, I didn't know about that option regardless!
jntdroid

Postby theuser86 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:38 am

Any time you make a change online to your account, if you want it pushed to your device, under Settings, do a System update. Let us know how it goes.
theuser86

Postby jntdroid » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:48 am

theuser86 wrote:Any time you make a change online to your account, if you want it pushed to your device, under Settings, do a System update. Let us know how it goes.

Haven't done that yet, but the official Roku App is seeing the changes without doing that. I'll report back tonight once I'm back home. Thanks for the help!
jntdroid

Postby jntdroid » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:21 am

Just FYI - sorry I never followed up here. Changing the settings and updating the system didn't change it. Thanks for trying though - it could very well be on the app side, since the Roku app recognizes the difference.
jntdroid

Postby danrvm » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:42 pm

The solution offered so far does not change the devices description on the network when viewed by apps such as the new Slingbox and YouTube channels.

I have 8 Roku's (I know, I should probably see a doctor about this) and it is very difficult to discern which Roku I want to "sling" or "cast" media to.

Please address this issue, Roku!
danrvm

Postby wkearney99 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:41 am

I would also like to be able to rename my Roku 3's listing as a DIAL device. Right now it lists as "Roku Streaming Player 1GJ...(the device ID)"

I've visited my account page on Roku.com and the device has been renamed there (a while ago). Likewise the unit has been powered off, several times since that renaming. The device still shows up in DIAL capable clients (like Netflix on the iPad) without the new name. I've visited the Settings page and checked for an update (it says it's current).

So what's the magic dance necessary to get the renaming to show up on the DIAL clients?
wkearney99

Postby wkearney99 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:01 am

According to a support chat just now, there's no way to rename the streaming player listing.

No way I can expect my wife & kids to remember that "Roku Streaming Player 1GJ36702999" is the Family Room, but "Roku Streaming Player 1GJ33402999" is the Kitchen, etc. Heck, even I don't want to have to do that dance.

So I suppose I'll just purchase a couple more Chromecast units instead.
wkearney99

Postby RickRansom » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:30 pm

Currently, only two services on Roku support DIAL - those are Netflix and YouTube.

For YouTube, you can change the name of the box if you follow the steps pointed out in this thread.

For Netflix, you'll have to ask them to create an option from their app to assign a different name for the device.
Retired
RickRansom

Postby wkearney99 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:05 pm

The renaming in Youtube is only for that particular client. You'd need to do that on each and every device making the connection, assuming the client front-end even allowed for it.

Curious the Youtube app provides this, no doubt a hold-over from debugging days. But it's a bit of a needless hack for what should have been a simple inclusion in the Roku's own firmware.
wkearney99

Postby TheEndless » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:09 pm

RickRansom wrote:Currently, only two services on Roku support DIAL - those are Netflix and YouTube.

For YouTube, you can change the name of the box if you follow the steps pointed out in this thread.

For Netflix, you'll have to ask them to create an option from their app to assign a different name for the device.

Ideally, Roku could update the DIAL device description XML to use the friendly name of the player as defined on your Roku account (also displayed under the Settings->About icon on the Roku itself), instead of having to define friendly names on every service that uses DIAL (assuming they all support that). That being said, threatening to return your Rokus for Chromecasts, just because you don't want to have to remember that the kitchen Roku is the one that starts with 33, while the family room Roku is the one that starts with 36, seems a bit overly dramatic.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Justin.tv (JUSTINTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Postby wkearney99 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:13 pm

As for services, I likewise noticed that the Pandora app can't stream to the Roku, while it can stream to a Chromecast. Which is also the situation with a Tivo, it shows up as a destination for Netflix and Youtube, but not for Pandora. Which indicates what? Is it the client making the determination or are the destinations not advertising something?

For anyone wondering why, devices like this plugged into an AVR (audio/video/receiver) make a fine way to play media controlled from a touchscreen or automation system. The upside to the Roku (or Tivo) is they've got a wired ethernet connection. Which helps quite a lot when dealing with congested wifi bandwidth, especially when you want stutter-free playback at high resolution.

Some receivers do have Airplay, but the implementations are uneven, at best, when it comes to multiple output zones. That and the whole proprietary nonsense Apple seems <The entropy of a perfect crystal, at absolute zero kelvin, is exactly equal to zero. - Third Law of Thermodynamics> bent on inflicting on customers... NO THANKS.
wkearney99

Postby wkearney99 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:14 pm

TheEndless wrote:
RickRansom wrote: That being said, threatening to return your Rokus for Chromecasts, just because you don't want to have to remember that the kitchen Roku is the one that starts with 33, while the family room Roku is the one that starts with 36, seems a bit overly dramatic.

Hmmm, insulting others because of a product's limitations seems a bit overly dramatic. And entirely unnecessary.

Where did I say I was going to return anything? I said I'll just buy more Chromecasts instead of more Roku devices.
wkearney99

Postby gonzotek » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:33 pm

wkearney99 wrote:As for services, I likewise noticed that the Pandora app can't stream to the Roku, while it can stream to a Chromecast. Which is also the situation with a Tivo, it shows up as a destination for Netflix and Youtube, but not for Pandora. Which indicates what? Is it the client making the determination or are the destinations not advertising something?
The destination apps have to support it, as well as the receiving device firmware (for discovery/launching when the apps aren't already running in the foreground). The DIAL protocol is open, but thus far neither TiVo nor Roku have published specs for third-party developers to support DIAL - only Netflix and YouTube have been 'blessed' on each platform, through private partnerships.

Also, Chromecast uses DIAL, but it also adds a number of other communication features unique to Chromecast apps that aren't part of the DIAL spec(such as using a time scrubber on a phone to move around in a Netflix video). Not sure if this is true for Pandora, but it's possible the Pandora mobile app may currently only support Chromecast devices and would also need to be updated to support a Pandora DIAL app on devices like Roku or TiVo.
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com
gonzotek
** Valued Community Member **

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion