Roku 3 Remote/Battery Issues

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Roku 3 Remote/Battery Issues

Postby Agrajag » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:37 am

I just upgraded from an XS to a Roku 3. Interestingly, I initially thought the remote's feature of being able to use earphones with it was a complete waste and just a gimmick. Now, I realize that it's fantastic for watching TV in bed with my wife sleeping or to watch TV while she's reading a book or on her laptop, etc.

Anyway, my issue with with batteries. They run out rather quickly so I tried using rechargeables but with virtually no luck. A fully charged set of rechargeables is in there now and I'm getting the annoying low battery indicator. That HAS to go. It's one thing for it to appear in the menu interface but not during a show 100% of the time. Bad thinking there. I KNOW it's low but I'm in bed and would be fine if they ran out while I dozed off. Come on guys. hehe

Also, I've had regular batteries that also resulted in the earphones not being recognized. I'd plug them in and they'd just be ignored.

Lastly, I've also had a few issues of the remote being ignored entirely as well with it sometimes working and then, moments later, having the Roku 3 ignore it entirely.

Are others seeing these issues?
Agrajag

Re: Roku 3 Remote/Battery Issues

Postby Gilgamesh » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:02 am

I am still on the original set of batteries that came with my Roku 3 when they first came out. Except for briefly assuring that it works I do not use the headphone feature at all. I have never seen the low battery indicator either.

As much as using the headphones drain the battery so to ant motion of the remote does so. I would venture that the battery drain you are seeing is the result of both using the headphones and the nearly continuous motion being detected from the remote being in bed with you.
Gilgamesh

Postby Agrajag » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:04 am

The motion is one of those things I wish I could turn off. I never play games with the Roku so it's just draining the battery for no benefit.
Agrajag

Postby dmegalo » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:12 am

I just upgraded to version 5.3 build 4010 and have the same issue. If the headphones are plugged in I get the annoying low battery indicator too regardless of if I am using fully charged batteries or not. Unplug the head phones and indicator goes away. It's not a battery issue. It's a Roku software issue. Hopefully it will be fixed in the next release. It would stand to reason that they already know (really hard to miss) and have a fix coming. Or maybe we all have defective Roku's :-/
dmegalo

Postby knuckle » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:34 am

I had suggested when both the xs and 3 came out that an additional IR remote be included
ROKU 1 XD J0A113014862
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
Roku TV
all running wireless on a actiontec C2000A
knuckle
** Valued Community Member **

Postby Basil » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:39 am

Agrajag wrote:I just upgraded from an XS to a Roku 3. Interestingly, I initially thought the remote's feature of being able to use earphones with it was a complete waste and just a gimmick. Now, I realize that it's fantastic for watching TV in bed with my wife sleeping or to watch TV while she's reading a book or on her laptop, etc.

Anyway, my issue with with batteries. They run out rather quickly so I tried using rechargeables but with virtually no luck. A fully charged set of rechargeables is in there now and I'm getting the annoying low battery indicator. That HAS to go. It's one thing for it to appear in the menu interface but not during a show 100% of the time. Bad thinking there. I KNOW it's low but I'm in bed and would be fine if they ran out while I dozed off. Come on guys. hehe

Also, I've had regular batteries that also resulted in the earphones not being recognized. I'd plug them in and they'd just be ignored.

Lastly, I've also had a few issues of the remote being ignored entirely as well with it sometimes working and then, moments later, having the Roku 3 ignore it entirely.

Are others seeing these issues?

Are you aware that as long as the headphones are plugged in, the batteries are being drained? That's regardless of whether you're using the Roku or not. That means, unless you are actually listening to the Roku through the headphones, the headphones should not be plugged in.

Might that be the cause of your problems?
Basil
http://www.basilsblog.com/
http://www.imao.us/
Roku 3, Roku 1, Roku LT; previous Roku HDMI Streaming Stick, Roku 2 XS, Roku 2 XD, Roku 2 HD, Roku XD|S, Roku HD
Also running Apple TV, TiVo/OTA, Simple.TV/OTA, Chromecast, Amazon Fire TV
Basil

Postby Agrajag » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:38 am

That's not the issue.
Agrajag

Postby igotasweetass » Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:43 pm

I also had the original batteries in for a long time, and i listened to quite a few broadcasts of shows on winamp shoutcast through the headphones, now i call it deadphones. Even with brand new batteries it turns the audio off after like 5 minutes or so. i know these batteries are not dead. something is up with the headphones and the latest update.
igotasweetass

Postby igotasweetass » Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:47 pm

it makes the remote useless as well until you unplug and then plug back in. but if you plug the headphones in again, its only a few minute window. and no battery drains that fast. don't gimme the headphones drain battery excuse. something's up. they need to fix it.
igotasweetass

Postby kc8pql » Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:52 pm

Sounds like a problem with your remote's WiFi direct connection.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql

Postby dv8ed » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:00 am

I purchased a brand new Roku 3 ship & sold by Amazon put in fresh batteries using headset I get a flashing empty drained battery with a red line thru battery top right corner of screen. It downloaded latest firmware too come on Roku it's been this long and no firmware fix for it yet?
dv8ed

Postby Agrajag » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:34 am

You'll find this comes and goes. At least it does for me.
Agrajag

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion