Will Roku 3 or Roku 2 XS work in Finland (Europe)?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Will Roku 3 or Roku 2 XS work in Finland (Europe)?

Postby Hybride » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:57 am

Hello fellas!

Ive been thinking of buying Roku 3 from UK (United Kingdom, Amazon.co.uk) to get it since they dont sell them here in Finland but I have a few questions that I cant find proper answers for. So yeah, here they are.

Will Roku 3 or Roku 2 XS function properly in Finland? If not, then what will I be limited to?

If I was blocked from the channels and all kinds of functionality, would I in some way be able to work myself around those limitations?

Thanks in advance!
Hybride

Re: Will Roku 3 or Roku 2 XS work in Finland (Europe)?

Postby kc8pql » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:11 am

You will be geo blocked from the premium channels, and discussing ways around that fact are not allowed on Roku's forum.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby Dick Drivel » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:23 am

Netflix does appear to be present in some form in Finland, at least if this link is to be believed:
http://yle.fi/uutiset/netflix_opens_fin ... ng/6340719
Dick Drivel

Postby Hybride » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:58 am

Yes, Netflix is indeed available in Finland but I was wondering if Roku has some specific type of Netflix thats "geo blocked" for everyone else than American people.

And yeah, to get around the geo limitations wouldnt be a problem as I looked into it online and it all seems rather simple.

Are there any other things that I wouldnt be able to enjoy if I used Roku in Finland, what do you guys think?
Hybride

Postby RickRansom » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:09 am

https://support.netflix.com/en/node/510

Only shows US, Canada, UK/Ireland, no Finland. You could give it a try but you probably won't get a lot.
Retired
RickRansom

Postby mikeyts » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:20 pm

I think that the Netflix player will probably work, to an extent, to play content from the Finland region's Netflix library (every region has a different set of titles, with a large amount of overlap). It might not show your "My List", but maybe it will if you have a Finnish Netflix account.

When I "take my Roku to Finland" (he say, euphemistically :mrgreen:) I can play the titles available in the Finland region but cannot see or change "My List".
Last edited by mikeyts on Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikeyts

Postby kc8pql » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:27 pm

^ I wouldn't be at all sure of that. The UK firmware would not include a URL pointing the box to Finnish Netflix.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby mikeyts » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:34 pm

kc8pql wrote:^ I wouldn't be at all sure of that. The UK firmware would not include a URL pointing the box to Finnish Netflix.

Could be. I don't know how it contacts the Netflix service. I do know that you can take your laptop and portable gadgets to other Netflix regions and use them with your US Netflix account to play content from those regions.
mikeyts

Postby wersus » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:30 pm

I have been using Roku 3 in Finland. My main channels (finnish)netflix, spotify, plex, puke.io, tvkaista and youtube work perfectly here. I sent u some more information privately.
wersus

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion