Updating User Interface On Roku XD|S

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Updating User Interface On Roku XD|S

Postby lakeober » Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:58 pm

Hello,

I am writing because I have one of the original Roku XD|S units (http://www.amazon.com/Roku-XDS-Streaming-Player-1080p/dp/B00426C57O)

I have used a few other Roku's that are newer, and really like the layout of the user interface on the Roku 2 and 3. I was hoping I could make my Roku look like those. I went into the settings menu, and tried to update the system firmware, but it says there are no updates.

Is it possible to get the user interface on my Roku to look like those on the 2 and 3... or am I permanently stuck with my layout unless I buy a new unit?

I'd appreciate any input. Thanks!
lakeober

Re: Updating User Interface On Roku XD|S

Postby Buckeye911 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:36 pm

It's not going to change without a firmware update and I'm pretty sure that won't happen. I also have an XDS and an XD that my brother is using and they're still performing fine but I do like my 2XS and Roku3 better.
Buckeye911

Postby thetick » Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:39 pm

Depends on which XD | S model since Roku has reused those names for different generation models. All second and third generations have the newer interface. All the first generation players are stuck on the older UI.

See the Feature comparison chart at the website below to determine which generation. Most likely if you don't have the new GUI after a recent update you probably have a first generation player:

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roku
thetick

Postby lakeober » Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:52 pm

Yes, it is indeed a first generation unit. That is a bummer that they do not allow you to update the user interface on these anymore. I really like the new UI, but refuse to buy a new one just for that fact. Thanks for your help everyone.
lakeober

Postby thetick » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:00 am

It's not that Roku will not allow it. It's most likely the hardware on the first generation can't deliver good response with the new interface. I suspect far many more people would be complaining about how sluggish the new UI on the old generation players. Keep in mind Rokus are designed as inexpensive streamers ONLY not general PCs so the Rokus have highly tuned software.. not general purpose. Regardless the PC analogy applies.

Just like you can't take an old PC from the 90's and expect it boot Windows 7. It certainly could given enough effort, but the performance would make the old PC a very bad experience.
thetick

Postby theuser86 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:16 am

thetick is right, at some point the software surpasses the hardware and will not function appropriately due to hardware limitations. Roku is not purposely doing it to make you go out and buy a new box, if so, they would only release updates for the Roku 3 and no others. But they still release new updates for quite a few but not all older units.

You have a 1st generation unit, wouldn't you say you've got your money's worth on it? Just spend the $40 for a newer unit if you just want the UI.

Everything works this way, Android is even worse, only releasing updates for a phone over 18 month period and after that no more updates even though the hardware could in fact handle it. (I'm just using this was a comparison of what of is reasonable, no Android lovers kill me please)
theuser86

Postby kc8pql » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:49 am

thetick wrote:Depends on which XD | S model since Roku has reused those names for different generation models.

Actually, there has been one XS and two XD, but only one XDS.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby socantra » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:07 am

lakeober wrote:I am writing because I have one of the original Roku XD|S units

Is it possible to get the user interface on my Roku to look like those on the 2 and 3... or am I permanently stuck with my layout unless I buy a new unit?

You might want to have a look at TheEndless excellent "My Channels - Home Screen Channel Organizer", described on this page:
http://roku.permanence.com/

You can add the channel via this link: https://owner.roku.com/add/MyChannels

There's also a long ongoing discussion thread on the channel here:
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=39426&p=261704

It has some limitations, due to the Roku API TheEndless used to write the channel. but it's a great improvement over the looks of the generation 1 interface and I believe it is still free. :)
Please attempt to maintain a thin veneer of civility.
Remember, you are speaking to strangers on the internet,
not your own family at home.
socantra

Postby vnazario » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:00 pm

Hello:

If it helps, there is a "My Channels" app that allow you to organize your favorite channels in a semi-grid fashion divided by categories. Before the new GUI, I used to run my favorite channels from this app. I had over 200 channels then (Now 400+) and I HATED the side-by-side icon navigation and this helped me back in those days. Given that you are stuck with the old interface, you may decide to use the "My Channels" app and also move to the beginning and end of your side-by-side channel list your most used Roku channels so you can access them quickly without all that annoying scrolling.

Hope this tip helps everyone using the old Roku interface.
vnazario

(2) Roku2 XS,Roku 1(New),Logitech Revue Google TV,Raspberry Pi+XBMC,Mac Mini HTPC-EyeTV DVR+Rabbit TV+PLEX+XBMC,TiVo Premier,Wii,PS3,Sony Blu Ray w/ streaming apps,Equiso Android TV
Local TV: QAM from ISP coax line. PLEX+unsupported plug-ins.
vnazario

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion