Oversight web browser for Roku

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Oversight web browser for Roku

Postby vnazario » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:56 am

Hi:

Has anyone heard of or better yet using/tested this on Roku? I have not yet tried it and I've read that it is really basic (alpha quality) web browser. Only available for side-load. The one good thing about it is that it serves as "proof of concept" that the Roku can someday have a working "official" web browser. Hope the developer refines it and releases a usable private channel.

I'm fairly certain that the Roku can't handle a flash-enabled browser like GoogleTV to play online videos from websites but a usable web browser for other stuff like e-mail, chat, searches and other uses can be added.

Opera launched a browser on the Vizio Co-Star LT and has one on the Wii and other platforms. Who knows...Roku is getting real popular and it wouldn't surprise me if Roku teams up with Opera to release an "official" browser for the Roku.

If anyone has a chance to check it out and test it, please provide feedback and snap shots. Just google: Github+Oversight+Roku to get further information and download the zip file. Look forward to further feedback from the Roku forum community.
vnazario

(2) Roku2 XS,Roku 1(New),Logitech Revue Google TV,Raspberry Pi+XBMC,Mac Mini HTPC-EyeTV DVR+Rabbit TV+PLEX+XBMC,TiVo Premier,Wii,PS3,Sony Blu Ray w/ streaming apps,Equiso Android TV
Local TV: QAM from ISP coax line. PLEX+unsupported plug-ins.
vnazario

Re: Oversight web browser for Roku

Postby mikebdoss » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:38 am

vnazario wrote:Hi:

Has anyone heard of or better yet using/tested this on Roku? I have not yet tried it and I've read that it is really basic (alpha quality) web browser. Only available for side-load. The one good thing about it is that it serves as "proof of concept" that the Roku can someday have a working "official" web browser. Hope the developer refines it and releases a usable private channel.

I'm fairly certain that the Roku can't handle a flash-enabled browser like GoogleTV to play online videos from websites but a usable web browser for other stuff like e-mail, chat, searches and other uses can be added.

Opera launched a browser on the Vizio Co-Star LT and has one on the Wii and other platforms. Who knows...Roku is getting real popular and it wouldn't surprise me if Roku teams up with Opera to release an "official" browser for the Roku.

If anyone has a chance to check it out and test it, please provide feedback and snap shots. Just google: Github+Oversight+Roku to get further information and download the zip file. Look forward to further feedback from the Roku forum community.

I'm pretty sure Roku would rather go without a browser than have on that only half-works. It sounds like "famous last words", but no one wants to read email or chat via their Roku - they'd want a browser to watch videos, and if can't do that, there's no point. Especially with the lack of keyboard/mouse...
mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Postby BradC » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:04 pm

where did you hear of this? I'd very much like to try it.

Anything would be an improvement, there are plenty of times I've wanted to check a website or something, even a basic text browser would be very useful. There are a lot of people who have run into issues authenticating the wifi on the roku without a browser as well.

There have been java-based browsers for cellphones for many many years now, so the roku no doubt has way more horsepower than would be required to run something, and (assuming a lot here) if the roku has an ability to run java apps, porting one would theoretically be fairly trivial compared to creating one.

I know they have stated it's not going to happen officially, but would be great if someone was able to come out with something. At least imho. 8)
Hangman•MiniGolf•BORK•Brain Puck•Birdie•FLIP•Pathogen•Pathogen 2•RetroTennis•Shut the Box•Logic•Desert Beauty•Wild Lakes•Bubble Wrap•Dots•Bounce
BradC

Postby SimpleMinded » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:21 pm

BradC wrote:where did you hear of this? I'd very much like to try it.

http://akufu.com/nowtv-channels-you-can-side-load/
SimpleMinded

Postby BradC » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:01 pm

Thanks!
Hangman•MiniGolf•BORK•Brain Puck•Birdie•FLIP•Pathogen•Pathogen 2•RetroTennis•Shut the Box•Logic•Desert Beauty•Wild Lakes•Bubble Wrap•Dots•Bounce
BradC

Postby knuckle » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:12 am

I tried it,couldnt get it to access the search function -- +1 @mikebdoss without full functionality from a browser time would be better spent improving casting options from other devices
ROKU 1 XD J0A113014862
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
all running wireless on a Netgear WNR 1000
knuckle

Postby ACraigo » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:32 am

A Speedtest channel right on the Roku - that would sniff out the Roku's Netflix/Amazon/ect speed would be very useful. Is there a speedtest channel? I have no idea. Would a Roku Browser do this? I assume not. I don't need to get my email or watch internet pron on my Roku, but there are some (a few) reasons to have a Roku browser... at least for some people.

I'm always accessing IMDB while watching something on the Roku, but I can see that doing both things at the same time on the Roku would be problematic at best. Some times you just need to fire up that 1000 watt gaming rig for something other than gaming. :)
Tony
Roku 2 HD
www.fishmojo.com
www.youtube.com/user/TheFishMojo
ACraigo

Postby kc8pql » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:25 am

Is there a speedtest channel? I have no idea.

There is. Private channel code "speedtest".
Unfortunately, it just tests your last mile speed like any other speed test rather than the speed to a particular content server.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql

Postby ACraigo » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:25 am

kc8pql wrote:There is. Private channel code "speedtest".
Unfortunately, it just tests your last mile speed like any other speed test rather than the speed to a particular content server.

Well, maybe somebody needs to work on that. I don't know about you, but I'd find that an interesting and useful channel/app and great for troubleshooting all these network and/or internet problems that will have no end on this forum.
Tony
Roku 2 HD
www.fishmojo.com
www.youtube.com/user/TheFishMojo
ACraigo

Postby Schmye Bubbula » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:47 pm

OK, I got Oversight sideloaded, but when I pull the trigger I get the upper-left quadrant of the the familiar Google search webpage. I see a black menu bar at the top containing:

[something obscured] Search Images Maps Play YouTube News Gmail More

None of the buttons on my Roku remote do anything except the Up, Down and * buttons, each of which makes my TV screen flash black then immediately come back to the ¼ Google webpage.

The NowTV & Roku Channels You Can Side-load webpage for Oversight says, "Pressing the ‘*’ key on your remote brings up the browser menu allowing you to navigate the web." But all it does for me is, like I said, make my TV screen flash black for an instant, and I don't see any menu. Maybe it's there but off-screen, since I can only see the upper-left quadrant of the Google webpage screen that is the first screen to appear after launching Oversight. Is it because I have my Roku Settings Display Type as 4:3 Standard for my old CRT TV? Or maybe because Oversight isn't supported by my old Roku 1 XD|S? Can anyone else get the Oversight menu to appear? I don't care if this thing is of only limited functionality as a web browser, because what I want to do with it is very limited. But I can't seem to even get to first base with this thing.
– –
first-generation Roku XD|S (2100X), composite connection to old 4:3 CRT SDTV
Schmye Bubbula

Postby Schmye Bubbula » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:33 pm

Has anyone gotten Oversight to display on screen correctly with a Roku 1 or 2 (old designation) connected with composite cable to a 4:3 CRT TV? I emailed the developer, but haven't heard back, and probably will be told, "We don't support Roku; only our own devices." But their YouTube channel works properly for me, if that's any indication.
– –
Schmye Bubbula

Postby knuckle » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:36 pm

I couldn't Schmye even on a wide screen
ROKU 1 XD J0A113014862
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
all running wireless on a Netgear WNR 1000
knuckle

Postby Schmye Bubbula » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:30 pm

Thanks, knuckle.
– –
Schmye Bubbula

Postby vnazario » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:59 am

Hello:

It is really too bad that this browser is not working right. I know Roku would probably never handle flash-enabled or HTML5 browser for web video app.....

BUT....

A working simple browser could solve the limitation Roku has of not being able to authenticate on wireless networks that require a web browser portal security page (Like hot-spots, hotels, airports, restaurants, doctors/hospitals) to gain connectivity access.

Hope this suggestion motivates this developer or maybe others to indeed look for ways to either create or port over to Bright-Script a simple working web browser for Roku.
vnazario

(2) Roku2 XS,Roku 1(New),Logitech Revue Google TV,Raspberry Pi+XBMC,Mac Mini HTPC-EyeTV DVR+Rabbit TV+PLEX+XBMC,TiVo Premier,Wii,PS3,Sony Blu Ray w/ streaming apps,Equiso Android TV
Local TV: QAM from ISP coax line. PLEX+unsupported plug-ins.
vnazario

Postby beq » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:27 am

vnazario wrote:A working simple browser could solve the limitation Roku has of not being able to authenticate on wireless networks that require a web browser portal security page (Like hot-spots, hotels, airports, restaurants, doctors/hospitals) to gain connectivity access.

Good point, that would be great!

vnazario wrote:It is really too bad that this browser is not working right. I know Roku would probably never handle flash-enabled or HTML5 browser for web video app.....

Chromecast supports limited HTML5 for video, and if I recall supports tabcasting of Flash video from Google Chrome (though it may be transcoded from the PC?). Perhaps it would require implementation at a lower level (like with the new Netflix), rather than being built on top of BrightScript?
beq

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion