WWE Network Announced for Roku

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

WWE Network Announced for Roku

Postby danat275 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:26 pm

WWE® NETWORK LAUNCHES FEBRUARY 24

STAMFORD, Conn., January 8, 2014 – WWE Network, the first-ever 24/7 streaming network, will launch live in the U.S. on Monday, February 24, featuring all 12 WWE live pay-per-view events – including WrestleMania® – valued at more than $600 per year for $9.99 per month with a 6-month commitment. WWE Network will also include groundbreaking original programming, reality shows, documentaries, classic matches and more than 1,500 hours of video on demand at launch.

Fans can subscribe to WWE Network beginning at 9 am ET on Monday, February 24 at WWE.com, and for a limited time will be offered a free one week trial. WWE Network, the first 24/7 network delivered directly to fans through over-the-top digital distribution, will be available on desktops and laptops via WWE.com. WWE Network will also be available through the WWE App on: Amazon’s Kindle Fire devices; Android devices such as Samsung Galaxy; iOS devices such as Apple iPad and iPhone; Roku streaming devices; Sony PlayStation® 3 and Sony PlayStation® 4; and Xbox 360. Availability on additional devices, including Xbox One and select Smart TVs, will follow this summer.

http://www.wwe.com/inside/wwe-network-t ... 4-26174061

please Roku make this available to all Roku users not just Roku 3 like YouTube did..
danat275

Re: WWE Network Announced for Roku

Postby scottypie1234 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:37 pm

danat275 wrote:
please Roku make this available to all Roku users not just Roku 3 like YouTube did..

That will be up to WWE programmers, not Roku.
scottypie1234

Postby dssonic » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:06 am

I wonder if this will include their live programs (like RAW); probably not. Still not bad for people who watch all of the PPV's.
dssonic

Postby billknust » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:30 am

dssonic wrote:I wonder if this will include their live programs (like RAW); probably not. Still not bad for people who watch all of the PPV's.

Not live for Raw and Smackdown, but there will be replays as soon as the shows go off the air plus pre- and post-game shows.
billknust

Postby VagaBondDennis » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:48 pm

If this is only for Roku 3; looks like i'll be getting a roku 3.

Still extremely pissed that Youtube is only available on 3 ... not worth it to me buy for that alone.
VagaBondDennis

Postby RickRansom » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:04 pm

VagaBondDennis wrote:Still extremely pissed that Youtube is only available on 3 ... not worth it to me buy for that alone.

Based on their blog, it should be available on all the other Roku models manufactured after 2011. If you have a Roku player that matches that description, you just need to wait a bit. :mrgreen:
*UPDATE FROM ROKU 12/23/13: Since announcing YouTube availability on Roku 3 last week, we’ve received feedback from many customers. While most were excited to see the update, some were disappointed to find that their Roku players were not supported. We’d like to stress that it is a priority for us to make YouTube available on more Roku devices next year — including Roku 2, Roku 1 and Roku LT players. It will not be available for the oldest models (introduced prior to 2011). Each model demands its own engineering, testing and quality assurance — and the last thing we’d want to do is release a channel that doesn’t live up to the awesome experience that customers have come to expect from Roku. Thank you for the feedback and please keep it coming!
Retired
RickRansom

Postby JimG19 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:00 pm

Cannot wait for this channel. The old school wrestling and current pay-per-views sell me easily. Hopefully, my Roku2 will be up to it.

Jim
JimG19

Postby bvd1022 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:05 am

dssonic wrote:I wonder if this will include their live programs (like RAW); probably not. Still not bad for people who watch all of the PPV's.

I watched the press conference announcing the network this week. I believe it will include live showings of their weekly programs. I know they said they are doing live pre and post shows for both of their top weekly shows on the 24/7 stream so based on this I believe it would be on the channel. I know all the pay-per-views will be on there and we will supposedly have access to the full library of content.

As someone who grew up a wrestling fan and still is a fan and began my writing career covering the business I have been waiting for something like this for a long time. I haven’t been able to watch many of the recent pay-per-views, (Too expensive) I look forward to getting up to speed once it launches.

Does anyone know whether or not people will have to upgrade? I have a Roku LT, but it’s not the newer slimmer model, I believe it was the LT model just before the newer models as I ordered mine direct from Roku a little more than a year ago. I have been considering upgrading to the top of the line Roku 3, seeing as YouTube is on there now. I had bought a WD player strictly for Youtube and was looking forward to having the option on either, but was disappointed when I learned it would only be available on the 3 models with it being available on some models later this year. For what it’s worth they said at the press conference announcing this network earlier this week that they will be broadcasting at 720P, so that would seem to indicate that it would be compatible with the other models.

In regard to the network, I am a longtime DirecTV subscriber and for what it’s worth there is a good possibility that cable and satellite providers might drop WWE from it’s PPV lineup because of the network being exclusive to OTT. I know that DirecTV has already threatened such. I do wonder what this will do in terms of pay-per-view revenue via traditional means because why pay for something between $44-64 depending on what feed you’re ordering when you can get the same content for a considerably lower subscription price? I don’t blame the providers for being angry. Traditionally, cable and satellite providers get close to 60% of the cut from PPV revenue, with the promoter, (WWE, UFC, Boxing promoters etc.) getting 40%. Now that a major PPV giant has taken a step toward OTT it increases their cut of the revenue. Why settle for 40% when you can get close to 100% via direct subscribers? Besides by not pulling pay-per-view off via traditional means, they still can get a sizable take of those who don’t choose to subscribe to the network. So, that would be icing on the cake providing there isn’t a massive revolt from the cable/satellite providers.

I wonder with the UFC doing something similar with their subscription service whether or not Boxing promoters will be next in line. I’m not ready to say cable and satellite is on the way out just yet, but if McMahon’s network is successful, which I think it will be, it will be hard for cable and satellite to keep up. Because if one PPV giant can make a transition to a network without the aide of any providers and succeed there’s no reason that others can’t follow. There is also no reason why established networks couldn’t also follow suit.

It should be interesting. Either way I’m looking forward to the network.
bvd1022

Postby JimG19 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:25 am

Smackdown and Raw will air on the new network immediately following their airing on SyFy and USA, respectively. They need $800,000 to 1 million subscribers to the new channel to break even on lost revenue for pay per views in the traditional sense. They are projecting 2 to 4 million subscribers in the first year. With MLB technologies involved in creating the online channel, I am hopeful most of the rokus will be able to see the channel. I also suspect the video will be very good.

I think WWE is making a good move here and this will be the wave of the future. Their biggest hurdle, in my opinion, is keeping people from sharing their id's and ensuring customers who are watching are in fact subscribing.

I hope it succeeds as I would like to see other channels go this route. Hopefully, the NFL will do something like this following their latest contract with DirecTV.

Jim
JimG19

Postby jeffrok » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:03 am

Not gonna lie.. I give wrestling fans I know crap for liking wrestling, but I too was a fan for many years.. Looking forward to this.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz
jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Postby bvd1022 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:44 pm

JimG19 wrote:Smackdown and Raw will air on the new network immediately following their airing on SyFy and USA, respectively. They need $800,000 to 1 million subscribers to the new channel to break even on lost revenue for pay per views in the traditional sense. They are projecting 2 to 4 million subscribers in the first year. With MLB technologies involved in creating the online channel, I am hopeful most of the rokus will be able to see the channel. I also suspect the video will be very good.

I think WWE is making a good move here and this will be the wave of the future. Their biggest hurdle, in my opinion, is keeping people from sharing their id's and ensuring customers who are watching are in fact subscribing.

I hope it succeeds as I would like to see other channels go this route. Hopefully, the NFL will do something like this following their latest contract with DirecTV.

Jim

I agree with you. It will be a struggle for them to ensure that people are not sharing their id info with people who are not subscribing. The network though I think will be a good attempt for them to try and combat the trend of people streaming their content, specifically their pay-per-view events online for free. The good news for Vince McMahon is that, that is a problem that is facing practically everyone in the television industry and not just the sports/entertainment genre.

I have no doubt that people will find a way, one way or the other to see the content, but for $10 a month, I don’t think it is that much of an expense to subscribe to the network. I also agree with you that al la carte direct to consumer digital distribution is the way things are heading, much in the same way that more and more jobs are becoming online based, I think that the internet will eventually take over. It is only a question of how.

Speaking as a longtime DirecTV subscriber, I know that they are getting ready to increase their rates again for the second time in three years with the reasoning that it is becoming more expensive for them to provide content. I don’t know about the exact figures involved, but again as I said before in terms of pay-per-view why pay between $44-64 and sometimes above, plus tax for content when you can get the same content for a considerably cheaper subscription price, with video on demand included?

Speaking for myself, I have every intention of subscribing to this network immediately when it launches, but I have thought about ordering Wrestlemania, as I have every year via the traditional medium, just in case there is any problems with the feed via the network. This of course is assuming that the event will still be available and there is not a revolt from the cable and satellite providers. I do think that more and more broadcasters will eventually offer OTT to the consumer. I am surprised that Epix for example has not capitalized on this and has only made their streaming service available so long as the person who wants access has a participating provider.

You would think that Epix would follow the example of say Wealth TV (Now AWE) in offering their service direct to the consumer at a subscription price without having a provider involved. Both have struggled for cable and satellite clearances and you would think that Epix would see this as an opportunity to side step those providers who do not want to carry their service. As far as Vince McMahon’s company goes, I believe they will make more money long term going this route then had the network launched as a cable/satellite entity as originally planned.

Considering the increase in carriage disputes between networks and providers I think things might change sooner rather than later. If so it would be great for companies like Roku. We will have to wait and see what happens. All I know is combining my UFC Fight Pass subscription with McMahon’s network subscription for a total of $240 a year plus my other streaming subscriptions is a lot more appealing then what I have paid over the years for the same content via traditional mediums. I have no doubt though that in time both will probably increase the price of their subscription services. From a corporate standpoint, it is only natural if something you offer to the consumer is successful to gradually increase rates.
bvd1022

Postby Frankie'sMarket » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:33 am

JimG19 wrote:I think WWE is making a good move here and this will be the wave of the future. Their biggest hurdle, in my opinion, is keeping people from sharing their id's and ensuring customers who are watching are in fact subscribing.

The way to keep people from sharing their subscriber IDs (or at least make them twice before doing it) is for WWE to have their servers kick-off any account that has simultaneous log-ins from multiple devices. The NFL does this for their Gamepass and Sunday Ticket mobile apps. Share your user ID and password with someone, and risk having your enjoyment of WrestleMania suddenly getting interrupted because your partner in crime also wants to watch the live action at the same time.
Frankie'sMarket

Postby bvd1022 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:50 am

Frankie'sMarket wrote:
JimG19 wrote:I think WWE is making a good move here and this will be the wave of the future. Their biggest hurdle, in my opinion, is keeping people from sharing their id's and ensuring customers who are watching are in fact subscribing.

The way to keep people from sharing their subscriber IDs (or at least make them twice before doing it) is for WWE to have their servers kick-off any account that has simultaneous log-ins from multiple devices. The NFL does this for their Gamepass and Sunday Ticket mobile apps. Share your user ID and password with someone, and risk having your enjoyment of WrestleMania suddenly getting interrupted because your partner in crime also wants to watch the live action at the same time.

I guess that is one way to go in terms of trying to stop people from sharing or streaming their content to non-subscribers for free. I really don’t think it will be too much of an issue though. Like it is with most homes that have a cable or satellite receiver in most rooms if not every room, I think it could be the same with streaming media players. For what it’s worth during the press conference they said that all you needed to do is sign up for an account and you would be able to use multiple devices with that one account. I assume the stipulation would be the obvious of having to be in the same location if more than one device is being used at once.

In terms of people streaming their content for free over the web I don’t think that issue will ever completely go away, but I do think the more that the network becomes available globally, it will become less of an issue. I have always found that people who rely on free streams for sporting events do so for a few reasons. The obvious reason in terms of pay-per-view events is that most people in today’s economy simply cannot afford the price charged. There are other reasons though, such as an international sporting event only being available in certain parts of the world that do not get television coverage elsewhere. I do think as OTT direct to consumer digital distribution becomes more and more in practice that those international events will be more globally available. The internet has opened things up in this area and I don’t think that is necessarily a bad thing. It is just a matter of what will be available, when will it be available and at what price in terms of OTT.

In terms of the topic of this discussion I really think the $10 monthly charge makes it extremely affordable for most people. Back when I covered the business the pay-per-views were at most $35 for most shows. I remember when I was growing up and cable and pay-per-view was just getting mainstream, most shows were under $25. I remember some of the older Wrestlemania cards being under $30. All of those prices are reasonable, but when most promotions started doing monthly pay-per-view shows it became a stretch for most people. The gradual increase in those prices made it out of reach for most people. It has been several years since I have covered the business, but I still try to watch regularly. I use to order all the time, whether I was covering the business or not. The last few years I haven’t ordered as much. Last year I ordered two shows.

Personally I think the way they are going to launch this network is a really good idea, although I fully expect them to increase rates in time. I would feel the same way if they put eight pay-per-view shows on the network leaving what is known as the big four (Royal Rumble, Wrestlemania, SummerSlam, Survivor Series) on traditional pay-per-view as was originally planned. Either way I think if they are going to keep the shows available via cable and satellite, assuming providers still want the shows, they should decrease the price a little now that the network subscription price is considerably lower than what they would charge regularly on cable and satellite. From what I have read WWE is expecting a loss in pay-per-view revenue overall this year because of the network launch and possible revolt from cable and satellite providers. I don’t think it will be that big of a loss seeing as they will get much more of the revenue now then they will via the traditional medium and when you factor in advertising and marketing, they may be able to make up for whatever loss they initially take strictly from their subscription base alone in addition to any advertising and marketing they are paid by companies with product lines who will likely buy time on the network. It should be interesting come December to see exactly where the impact will be felt in terms of pay-per-view revenue both for WWE as well as the UFC.
bvd1022

Postby Frankie'sMarket » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:31 am

bvd1022 wrote:
Frankie'sMarket wrote:

I guess that is one way to go in terms of trying to stop people from sharing or streaming their content to non-subscribers for free. I really don’t think it will be too much of an issue though. Like it is with most homes that have a cable or satellite receiver in most rooms if not every room, I think it could be the same with streaming media players. For what it’s worth during the press conference they said that all you needed to do is sign up for an account and you would be able to use multiple devices with that one account. I assume the stipulation would be the obvious of having to be in the same location if more than one device is being used at once.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. Do you think the WWE is okay with the idea of a dozen or more separate units in a dorm or apartment building all sharing the same user account? They'll all be in the same place as far as the location tracker is concerned, right?

I read WWE's press release. The reason for the announcement mentioning all the compatible devices is to emphasize the convenience that subscribers would enjoy in being able to access the wrestling network at home (STB), at the office (desktop, laptop), or on the go (smartphone, tablet). Nowhere does it mention the ability to watch the WWE network on multiple devices simultaneously on one account, since that is something that could very easily be abused.
Frankie'sMarket

Postby bvd1022 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:01 am

Frankie'sMarket wrote:I wouldn't be so sure of that. Do you think the WWE is okay with the idea of a dozen or more separate units in a dorm or apartment building all sharing the same user account? They'll all be in the same place as far as the location tracker is concerned, right?

I read WWE's press release. The reason for the announcement mentioning all the compatible devices is to emphasize the convenience that subscribers would enjoy in being able to access the wrestling network at home (STB), at the office (desktop, laptop), or on the go (smartphone, tablet). Nowhere does it mention the ability to watch the WWE network on multiple devices simultaneously on one account, since that is something that could very easily be abused.[/quote]

You do have a point. I wasn’t thinking of college dorms or apartments and things of that nature. I was thinking more of single family homes and such. It is an interesting question of how they will deal with that issue. I’m sure that there will be a way to accommodate people in dorms and such. Much in the same way that sports bars normally pay fees to promoters when showing pay-per-view events etc. I do remember a few years ago a few sports bars where I live got into hot water with the NFL because someone offered those establishments to stream games of the local team's home games from feeds that were out of the market, as due to the league’s home attendance rules games were blocked out due to the team not being able to sell enough tickets. Thus, by getting the content for free via someone streaming it elsewhere, the NFL wasn't paid.

Personally, I think the rule is ridiculous as the NFL is the only league that has such a rule in place. Having been involved in sports to a certain extent per my covering combat sports for many years, I can understand the league and a team’s ownership wanting to ensure a reasonable profit, in tough economic times however, much like what combat sports has had to deal with, people will find a way to watch what they want to see even if they cannot afford to pay a fee to view the content.

Back to the topic of discussion I have also seen instances where sports bars in Canada will show a Boxing card that is being televised on pay-per-view in Canada, but free here in the U.S. on one of the networks where the bar will have access to the American feed rather than paying the fee for pay-per-view. I remember several years ago that promoters were upset with the potential of establishments like sports bars and even residential areas having access to networks outside of the region thanks to cable and satellite providers and the concern that it would cause promoters to lose revenue in terms of pay-per-view buys. This was a few years before the concept of internet streaming really took off. I know that many promoters whether they be involved in Boxing, Professional Wrestling, or, MMA have a love/hate view on the concept of internet streaming for much of the same reasons.

I think that this concept of OTT digital distribution was coming for several years. It was only a matter of when and how it would happen. In regard to WWE I am not surprised to see them doing something like this as Vince McMahon has been a television giant for decades and was a pioneer when it came to pay-per-view. It doesn’t surprise me to see him entering this in some ways new medium and I think it is only a matter of time before others follow.

As far as the press release you are correct about it not saying that you could watch the network on multiple devices at the same time. I wasn’t referring to the press release. I was referring to what I watched during their press conference/presentation last week. It was one of the people who I believe was the head of digital development for the company that made the comment about that. I am sure that there will be more information about this and the network overall coming as they are suppose to be doing a teleconference during the week. They could well answer that question if it is asked. I don’t see why it wouldn’t be asked because it certainly is something that they will have to deal with.

I think what they might do is say something along the lines of one account can be viewable on up to two devices at once. Netflix for instance offers two streaming options for simultaneous streams, one a two screen plan, which is the standard $8 monthly subscription or a four screen plan at almost $12 a month. I’m interested in how WWE will address that. Perhaps what they might do is something similar to Netflix when they adjust their rates. I would not be surprised to see a rate adjustment within a year after the network launches.
bvd1022

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion